Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Clutch operating shaft arms bent
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
68WestyHawaii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:35 am    Post subject: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

68 Westy with a newly (under 50 miles) installed mystery “high performance” beetle engine. Both engines pictured.

So I was reversing in a parking lot Sunday and the clutch went out completely. I thought the cable broke so I towed it home to fix. Pulled the cable and it was perfect. Pulled the engine and this is what I found (pic 1). Right spring was in the bottom and left still attached. I don’t understand how this could have happened.

Possible contributing factors. I replaced the stock engine a few weeks ago with the high-performance engine from a beetle. The engine runs great, a lot stronger then the stock one. I only ran it for 10-20 miles when this happened.

The clutch operating shaft arms were good (not bent at all) when we did the engine swap. Any ideas what happened and how to prevent it in the future? All feedback is appreciated. Thanks

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

That's a pretty weird way of bending (kinda common otherwise) but you might consider one of the HD forks!
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

Did you use release bearing clips with the coil?

Or the non-coil type which some folks have had issues with???

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

Right clip came off, bearing slipped out of pocket in arm, rotated
down and pushed shaft arm sideways. Stock shaft arms are kinda weak.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

Do you have the right pressure plate in there?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

Pruneman99 wrote:

He needs to use a 200mm pressure plate WITH a center ring if not already...
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Pruneman99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Pruneman99 wrote:

He needs to use a 200mm pressure plate WITH a center ring if not already...

Yes I agree. With that enige being "late model" if you will, and the transmission NOT having the sleeve, I can see a situation where a late pressure plate was used when an early one with the centering ring was required.

The throwout bearing would have taken all kinda weird load pressures, causing the quick failure.
68WestyHawaii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

Thanks for all the replies. I’ll try to respond to all here. I can’t figure out how to reply individually. (First time posting)

I have since installed the HD forks. But haven’t had it on the road yet due to another issue I am having.

I used the clips with the coil on them. The clip that fell off wasn’t damaged at all either.

My local guru confirmed correct pressure plate and it is brand new. It is 200 mm with the center ring.

Did I miss anything? Any other ideas?
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

If the engine is still out of the Westy.

Now is a good time to safety wire the TOB clips to the clutch arms.
That way the clips stay in place, until you cut the wires to replace the bearing.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:

That way the clips stay in place, until you cut the wires to replace the bearing.

Pic of how this is done?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

I just used some stainless aircraft style safety wire and wrapped it around the clutch throwout shaft a couple times then through the clips.
I had one clip come off a few years back and it left a lot of marks on the inside of the bellhousing and pressure plate before it disintegrated in little pieces.
I bought some new clips from CB Performance and since installing them and wiring them in I've not had a problem again.
Those new clips from CBP are an absolute bugger to get installed.........

If you look close you can see all the little nicks in the bellhousing from the loose clip.

The safety wire is really thin but you can see it wrapped around the throwout shaft.....

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936

Last edited by clonebug on Mon May 30, 2022 8:33 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

richardcraineum wrote:
67rustavenger wrote:

Pic of how this is done?

Sure!
This is just simple low grade wire I'm using as safety wire. For the TOB.
I bought this tool from a pawn shop, $5.00

Here's the completed job. I did this ten minutes ago. As an example of what I was referring to.
This wire does not interfere with the action of the TOB. Notice that the TOD is in two different positions in the pics.

I've tried to get the SS safety wire Clonebug is talking about above. It's N/A here.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

A roll of .032" safety wire will be best for most anything you'll do on a car.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/safetywire.php
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Clutch operating shaft arms bent Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
A roll of .032" safety wire will be best for most anything you'll do on a car.
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/appages/safetywire.php

Thanks for that!
Even comes with a handy belt clip, for those times when you have to safety wire everything! Very Happy

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: