Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

FAS Gen V Ordered!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Mine was delayed several times too. That's the rule of the game now.

My engine is doing fine! I'l post an update soon.

Regarding the tab, I did have to grind it down. Accessibility isn't great, so I used a grinder where I could, and a small grinding wheel on a Dremel, in order to remove the welds and the tab. After that I made sure it was somewhat flat using the grinder. Then of course, rustproofing/painting.

You likely will also have to create the notches under the frame rails, to have clearance for the angine carrier bar. You can see the notch here on the bottom part of the black frame rail, towards the center:
(and buy a face shield Cool )

Thanks! I actually just finished doing this. It will be interesting to see how the spacer block fits in on the passenger side. My rail seems a bit bulged out around that second hole even after getting the tab off.

My prep work is pretty much done and I got the call today from FAS. They took the last payment and are shipping Thursday or Friday!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was also able to install an onboard air compressor while I waited. I will be securing a piece of ABS over this compartment to provide some additional protection from heat/dust and may add an exterior vent.

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Looking good!
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Anyone out the able to help with some wire ID's?

enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Also like a dummy, when I removed the connector for the fuel pump wires I forgot to notate which went where...

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Hi

Looking at my pictures, the ground is on top, horizontal, as per your picture of the connector.

As for the Jbox connectors, do you have a Bentley? All the wiring diagrams and colours are in there. If not, PM me and I'll send you some stuff.
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:
Hi

Looking at my pictures, the ground is on top, horizontal, as per your picture of the connector.

As for the Jbox connectors, do you have a Bentley? All the wiring diagrams and colours are in there. If not, PM me and I'll send you some stuff.

Thanks on the fuel pump wires. yes I have a Bentley but have never been good at reading wiring diagrams. FAS sorted it for me. They let me ow that I will need to remove the OG alternator harness so that eliminated the top blue wire making the other obvious. Found the plate light harness from the deconstruction pile so checked that off of the list. The remaining unknown was an unused wire for euro lights.
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

It’s nice to have friends with fancy tools

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2022 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Yahoo!

My friend only had a small van and two arms. Lucky you!
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Carrier bar fitted to the frame, good to go

enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Big day. Engine and trans mated this morning and then installed by 5. Lots of little connections done too. May be starting it tomorrow!!!

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Good job! Take your time triple-checking everything...
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

VicVan wrote:

Ha you only triple checked? Ballzy Wink

What type of hose did you use for the brake booster connection? Also how did you connect the heater hoses?
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Best photo of the month. Glad to see you have good advisors on-site.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Best photo of the month. Glad to see you have good advisors on-site.

Needed those little hands to get the slave cylinder back on…
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

A lot done today. Exhaust is in, electrical in the bay is connected, PS lines connected (fits great with the full hydrolic lines). Coolant lines all connected. Note to others… FAS supplies enough hose to connect to the heater T junctions behind the fire wall so disassemble to there and prep before the engine is in. I broke a T as it was old and brittle.

I was worried due to Little Blue’s coolant woes so I went ahead and sprung for the vacuum coolant tool. It worked like a charm. Drew -20 on the gauge and held vacuum for 10 min, then happily sucked up almost a full 4 gallons of coolant. All in under 30 min.

Bumper is in. Even bolted up the drive shafts. Tomorrow I’ll finish the dash wires cruise and maybe fire this thing up.
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Don't forget the Power Steering fluid Wink

enochramal wrote:

I was worried due to Little Blue’s coolant woes so I went ahead and sprung for the vacuum coolant tool. It worked like a charm. Drew -20 on the gauge and held vacuum for 10 min, then happily sucked up almost a full 4 gallons of coolant. All in under 30 min.

Wise man...
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

enochramal wrote:
VicVan wrote:

Ha you only triple checked? Ballzy Wink

What type of hose did you use for the brake booster connection? Also how did you connect the heater hoses?

Brake booster: I reused a section of the old power steering hose.

Heater hoses: bought or reused a couple of male/male 5/8" heater hose connectors, and some clamps
https://www.carid.com/dorman/plastic-straight-hvac-heater-hose-connector-mpn-47095.html
enochramal
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

Van is ALIVE! I have been driving it a bit yesterday and today. Did the first ten miles and then oil change. Despite using the vacuum coolant fill I still had some air in the radiator. After doing several ups and down hill sections around my house and repeated radiator bleeds the fan finally cycled on.

First impression (40 miles) is that this thing is super responsive with noticeable increase in power. I have yet to go on any of the hills that would knock me down to 45mph in the wbx but soon enough. I will report back.

Video of it running...

https://youtu.be/zPkzfAXn-rE
valvecovergasket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

awesome work! so many nice looking parts in that FAS kit...

gone, but not forgotten: '83 tdi westy - swap thread
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: FAS Gen V Ordered! Reply with quote

what a great bit of kit!! deep with envy for the newness of everything. your photos tell a greater story tho... happy kids under the van, chalk marks in the driveway, dandelions growing, a Triumph. yer raisin' them right!

but one question... is the engine crate T&G pine??!!

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: