Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Black flies
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
calvinater
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 3:35 pm    Post subject: Black flies Reply with quote

Worst year ever for black flies this spring.

Where are all the bats?
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

The Bat population took a hard-hit w/ that "White Nose Syndrome" the last 2 years. I'm lucky to live away from woods & wet swampy/marsh areas, very little bugs w/ all the open fields around us, plenty of mice though... Confused

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Noseem's too and the Ticks are the worst I've seen this year also Rolling Eyes
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

We are so dry that I have only seen 2 mosquitoes so far this year. I have seen years where the mosquitoes were so thick I thought the mower was on fire. They would rise up out of the grass just like smoke! You could not go outside without covering your mouth and nose or you would be breathing them in. I was talking to a farmer friend that year and he told me his big field tractor kept overheating. He would have to shut it off every 15 to 20 minutes and clean the mosquitoes off the radiator.

Bats unfortunately are very rare here, I have only seen 2 in the last 20 years. I worry about the Swallows nesting in our yard. No idea what they will find to feed the little ones.

On the other hand it does make for pleasant open car touring and motorbiking. No bug bites in 4 hours of lawn mowing either so there's that! Killed 2 queen wasps yesterday. They generally get bad in hot dry weather, so do the grasshoppers.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
We are so dry that I have only seen 2 mosquitoes so far this year. I have seen years where the mosquitoes were so thick I thought the mower was on fire. They would rise up out of the grass just like smoke! You could not go outside without covering your mouth and nose or you would be breathing them in. I was talking to a farmer friend that year and he told me his big field tractor kept overheating. He would have to shut it off every 15 to 20 minutes and clean the mosquitoes off the radiator.

Bats unfortunately are very rare here, I have only seen 2 in the last 20 years. I worry about the Swallows nesting in our yard. No idea what they will find to feed the little ones.

On the other hand it does make for pleasant open car touring and motorbiking. No bug bites in 4 hours of lawn mowing either so there's that! Killed 2 queen wasps yesterday. They generally get bad in hot dry weather, so do the grasshoppers.

How do you expect to have a lot of mosquitos when you still have snow on the ground? Confused
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

We used to live-in upstate NY = black fly country - on weekends, i had time to weed the gardens, beginning at daybreak or 5 AM - would finish around 8, when the dew evaporated off and the black flies came out - then moved to Oklahoma where there are no black flies, instead there are chiggers - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

I love Vermont.

Would never live there though mainly because of the Black Flies.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Looks like my part of Oregon is looking better and better.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Emily's Owner wrote:
Looks like my part of Oregon is looking better and better.

Until the Xevins come out.

If you keep to the lower part of upstate NY you don’t get black flies, and there are gone by Fathers day.
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Black flies Pretty much gone here,,,
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

iowegian wrote:
How do you expect to have a lot of mosquitos when you still have snow on the ground? Confused

Ha! Right eh?

It's actually been 2 weeks since the last snowfall here and that one was brief with no lasting effects. Very Happy
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

We don't have black flies in SoCal. We have enough other shit that would probably make us wish for the flies... Sad
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

you do realise that those black flies are the latest micro surveillance drones...don't ya? Wink

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Yup someone spent tens of millions of dollars to put thousands and thousands of them out there to spy on the general public doing practically nothing on the weekends...

Makes perfect sense doesn't it? Rolling Eyes Laughing
Red68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Jon Schmid wrote:
We don't have black flies in SoCal. We have enough other shit that would probably make us wish for the flies... Sad

Amen to that. That's why I moved. (to central California) It's a little better here.

No black flies here. Just a lot of flies. I live next to horse ranches. Lot's of horses equals a lot of flies.

Rattlesnakes are what I worry about. They aren't friendly.

1973 Type 181 "Thing'
1959 Baja Bug
1963 Baja Bug
1968 Baja Bug
1970 Baja Bug
1972 Super Beetle
Red68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Yup someone spent tens of millions of dollars to put thousands and thousands of them out there to spy on the general public doing practically nothing on the weekends...

Makes perfect sense doesn't it? Rolling Eyes Laughing

My wife was laying out by the pool in a bikini and a drone was buzzing around above her. If I was there I would have got my shotgun.

1973 Type 181 "Thing'
1959 Baja Bug
1963 Baja Bug
1968 Baja Bug
1970 Baja Bug
1972 Super Beetle
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

The shotgun is for the drone, right? Laughing
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

Red68 wrote:
Jon Schmid wrote:

Amen to that. That's why I moved. (to central California) It's a little better here.

No black flies here. Just a lot of flies. I live next to horse ranches. Lot's of horses equals a lot of flies.

Rattlesnakes are what I worry about. They aren't friendly.

We get tiny black flies, but only when water is present. Being we are in a drought and it is super dry, AND we are not allowed to water anything. The black flies are no where to be found!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Max Welton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
I love Vermont.

Would never live there though mainly because of the Black Flies.

I grew up in Vermont. I remember the black flies. And the horse flies. Those things can really bite.

Max
Da TOW'D
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Black flies Reply with quote

lots of no-see-ums and horseflies in my end of the woods
the warm weather brings them out
'92 Eurovan Willy DD
and NUTS
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: