Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dark Mode option for forum
Forum Index -> Site Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  

Would you use 'Dark Mode' if it was offered as an option?
Yes
90%
 90%  [ 9 ]
No
10%
 10%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 10

srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Dark Mode option for forum Reply with quote

Any plans on adding a 'dark mode' for the site? Most sites offer this as an option now and it would be a welcome addtion.

Thanks!
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Mode option for forum Reply with quote

Let me see if there is some easy way to add this "theme".
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Mode option for forum Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Any plans on adding a 'dark mode' for the site? Most sites offer this as an option now and it would be a welcome addtion.

Thanks!

Do you mean a, black background with white text?

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2022 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Mode option for forum Reply with quote

Thanks Everett.

Yes, dark mode is just a theme with a dark background (Black or dark blue) which is easier on the eyes, uses less energy and also is useful for some people with vision issues. Many sites like Twitter/Feedly offer this option.
Chickensoup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2022 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Mode option for forum Reply with quote

makes it harder for folks to be peepin in on your business too.
'66 RIP
'69 RIP
Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Dark Mode option for forum Reply with quote

Ok, so this wasn't as easy as I thought to implement as I would have to recreate a ton of the graphics, etc. to be "dark" too.

BUT

At least in Google Chrome and Firefox, there are some "Dark Mode" Extensions/AddOns that allow you to actively switch any website to a dark mode.

I tried the extensions in both browsers and it's not perfect or as pretty as a true integrated dark mode but seems to work fine.

I'm using Dark Reader, there may be others:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/dark-reader/eimadpbcbfnmbkopoojfekhnkhdbieeh?hl=en-US

I'm not sure I like it during the day but it has a bunch of settings and I need to experiment with adjusting the brightness/contrast/etc.
I'm going to check it out at night and in the dark when I'm guessing it's preferable. It has a little on/off toggle so easy to flip it back and forth too.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Dark Mode option for forum Reply with quote

I'm using it as well in MS Edge and it works fairly well after adjusting the brightness/contrast.

The colors do seem a bit washed out though.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Site All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: