Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

windshield frame
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tully83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:17 pm    Post subject: windshield frame Reply with quote

does anyone made a replacement windshield frame?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield frame Reply with quote

The Thing Shop has both the upper and lower:

https://www.thethingshop.com/searchprods.asp
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield frame Reply with quote

74 Thing wrote:
The Thing Shop has both the upper and lower:

https://www.thethingshop.com/searchprods.asp

Currently out of stock but give them a call. Take your heart medicine beforehand. . Mike Basso is your other option.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: windshield frame Reply with quote

I would like to see somebody fabricate a Thing windshield frame bottom; slightly taller than the original, with a vent flap like the Audi Munga, or the 2CV.
Always dreaming. Wink
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: windshield frame Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
I would like to see somebody fabricate a Thing windshield frame bottom; slightly taller than the original, with a vent flap like the Audi Munga, or the 2CV.
Always dreaming. Wink

Sounds like a challenge for the Domeck Brothers...nudge, nudge, wink, wink, Hint, Hint..... Laughing
CraigInPA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: windshield frame Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:
Always dreaming. Wink

Except that changing the height changes the geometry to the roof... You'd need a special convertible frame to match up with the taller windshield, or go without a top.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: windshield frame Reply with quote

CraigInPA wrote:

Except that changing the height changes the geometry to the roof... You'd need a special convertible frame to match up with the taller windshield, or go without a top.

Yep, it would require some serious work.

Almost 10 years ago, I posted this sketch of a fever dream for a "safari" type hinged glass panel in a frame with the same dimensions as the original windshield, so it would just drop into the original frame and seal.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It would only need to open an inch or so to let in lots of air.
Anyway, I never tried it.

When I drove to LA for Things West in 2018, there was a Thing there with a split windshield with two movable panels.
I should have taken some detail photos but I didn't.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: windshield frame Reply with quote

This popped up on the internet. Not fond of the slam though

mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: windshield frame Reply with quote

Yes Dad...
That's the car. Me neither on the slam.

I see that he has removed the windshield wipers; maybe you don't need 'em in California.

I have never taken a close look at how they manage the wiper setup on busses with "safari" windshields, but even open an inch or less, this would let in lots of air (maybe bugs too) at freeway speed.

By the way... I hope you can manage to bring the newly risen phoenix to Kubel Treffen next month!
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: windshield frame Reply with quote

mondshine wrote:

By the way... I hope you can manage to bring the newly risen phoenix to Kubel Treffen next month!

Hoping to as well although that may be a bit ambitious. FunFest in Effingham, IL may be a bit more realistic. Only 100 miles away. Got 12 days to be ready. Just got my engine back from Rehab. I handed the engine over to have someone give it a second look. Found and fixed a few mistakes. Installed the gauge sensors. All ready and prepped to go in now. Just waiting for some good weather.

Not a bad run for being out for 2 years.
[youtube] https://youtube.com/shorts/SnDQIg1_LNg [/youtube]

No one believed me I told them I had a engine in the back of my Jeep. Here's the proof.

Back in the day I remember I could man-handle a engine by myself. Nowadays, not so much. Highjacked a neighbor and got onto the garage floor.

Last edited by Semper_Dad on Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KAmes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: windshield frame Reply with quote

Wife and I will be at Funfest. Maybe we'll see you there!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: