Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Brake bleeding question
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Brake bleeding question Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend the right cap for the pump up pressure bleeders that will fit the single cap universal master cylinder? The outside diameter of the threads on the reservoir are about 1.7". The one that came with the tool are almost right but just big enough so that it won't seal. I've got the Motive Products Powerbleeder.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: Brake bleeding question Reply with quote

I had that same issue and ended up making my own. That only worked for a while before the cap cracked. Then I ordered a universal one on Fleabay. It was a flat plate with a gasket and a chain thing that went around the master cylinder and clamped it all tight.

After a hose popped off and blew brake fluid all over the place, I decided to not use that system at all. Now I use a vacuum bleeder that uses a siphon thing that requires air flow. I hook it to my air hose and step on the pedal to make the air flow and the vacuum to pump up. I use and old paint spray gun tank as the holding tank. It's airtight and keeps the fluid clean. I usually wedge the pedal under a tire to keep it flowing. Just check the reservoir often to keep it from going dry.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dustymojave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brake bleeding question Reply with quote

MY experience with vacuum bleeders has been a lot of trouble with air sucking in around the bleeder screw threads. It MIGHT be good to put teflon tape or paste dope on the bleeder screws.
Retired from building Bajas, Fiberglass Buggies and Rails in the Mojave Desert. Also Sprints & Midgets, Dry Lakes, Road Race cars. All types New and Vintage
SoCalBajas Member
Kicked Cancer's A$$...1st and 2nd round...Fight ain't over yet.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Brake bleeding question Reply with quote

I've done the vacuum bleed thing. Without success!
Tried the teflon tape around the bleeder threads. It just continued to suck air past the threads.

I have a Motive Power bleeder, that works sometimes, sometimes not.

Here's a simple solution to power bleeding brakes. Probably cost $5.00 not including the brake fluid.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768747

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Brake bleeding question Reply with quote

Yup...I put Teflon tape around the bleeder screws. It last for about two to three "bleedings" before I have to do it over. I use compressor air to run the vacuum siphon. It doesn't take much. I run a tube from the bleeder screw that I'm working on to a spray painter can (Without the sprayer) and then to the siphon valve. The siphon valve has a pedal on to make it go.

I usually just wedge it under a tire to make it go without me have to step on it. That way I can keep the reservoir full while it's running. I leave the fluid in the sprayer tank and use it to refill the reservoir. It's clean and sealed.

No mess, no fuss, no brake fluid all over the place, if a line comes loose, it just sucks air and doesn't spray fluid all over the place. (I hate brake fluid spraying around!!)

While it's merrily sucking away, I'm free to pump the brake pedal and steering brake handle to help break loose bubbles. Don't waste your time with one of the hand vacuum pumps. You'll just end up with a sore arm and you'll still have air in the lines.

Do not use a plastic or glass bottle for the holding tank. The vacuum will cause it to implode.
Multi69s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 12:27 am    Post subject: Re: Brake bleeding question Reply with quote

This is my one man bleeder tool.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I used a reservoir cap, drilled a hole in it and installed a screw together metal tire valve stem (core removed), an air compressor fitting with a small reduction pipe welded on and a piece of hose and clamps. Screw it on the reservoir with about 5 psi of pressure, and bleed away. What's really nice is that it is adaptable, I unscrew the valve stem and install a reservoir cap of what ever I need to bleed. Like the front brakes on a dirt bike - those can be a real bitch.
Gone but not forgotten 72 Baja Bug 2010
My builds
T4 into Squareback http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=458944&highlight=
Auto Trans Rebuild http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=516066&highlight=
AC in Squareback https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
CrazyTestPilot
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Brake bleeding question Reply with quote

I've found great success using a $8 mini garden sprayer from home depot, 8 ft of tube and a tire inflation connector (the hands free one or a screw on one works best). Then I install a schrader valve into the cap of my master reservoir. Now all I do is pump the canister, hook it up, press the button and lock it. Now i Can casually walk around the buggy and break bleeders, move handles, whatever. Super easy and super cheap and gets all of the air out of the system. Makes your brakes super tight. Right around $25.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: