Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

Check both the lead going from the negative side of the coil to the ignition points and the ground wire inside the distributor to make sure they pass electricity as vacuum is applied to the advance can. Also verify that your points are properly adjusted. If the points are barely opening it can cause the problems you are seeing. Note that I don't think any '78 GE engines came with electronic ignition, but could be wrong here. Also note the Bosch points are very crappy and will often snap off the wear block at very low miles, making it so the points will barely open if they open at all. The wear block and the cam inside the distributor MUST be lubed or point life will be very short.
AshC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Note that I don't think any '78 GE engines came with electronic ignition, but could be wrong here.

Probably me that's wrong on that, but sometimes folks quote the manufacture year not the model year. E.g. my CA 79 (with GE and TCI) says 11/78 on the factory sticker. And, I believed that the GE engine was exclusive to CA 79 models (but again, maybe bad info). Anyway, this is a bit of a tangent now..
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

AshC wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Note that I don't think any '78 GE engines came with electronic ignition, but could be wrong here.

Probably me that's wrong on that, but sometimes folks quote the manufacture year not the model year. E.g. my CA 79 (with GE and TCI) says 11/78 on the factory sticker. And, I believed that the GE engine was exclusive to CA 79 models (but again, maybe bad info). Anyway, this is a bit of a tangent now..

The GE engines show just how funky VW's identification system is. Some GE engines have oval exhaust ports and some have square ports, while some have points and some have electronic ignition. The earlier GE engines had solid lifters and the later hydraulic, which could mean some were dual relief and others single relief, no sure here. There are other changes between the various GE engines as well.
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

I believe mine has hydraulic lifters. Should I take a picture of the inside of the distributor or just the distributor in general? Yes I think I will start with the tsII. When I first started trying to get it running, the TSII was an issue so I bought a new one. I honestly have never touched the points so I will check that too. Obviously will check grounds and everything. But this engine came out of a ‘78. The GE code I’m getting is on the fan shroud and actually now looking through my pictures, the block is GD. Who knows!
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

Does the engine miss a bit and also slightly backfire? Mine did that..I went through everything up top etc. , changed fuel filter etc. still did it...fuel tank was rusting inside.

Not saying its that but check that filer for rust or rusty-colored fuel.

Mine runs great now...if i\I could just figure out my reverse (or lack thereof) problem
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

brownbus2 wrote:
Does the engine miss a bit and also slightly backfire? Mine did that..I went through everything up top etc. , changed fuel filter etc. still did it...fuel tank was rusting inside.

Not saying its that but check that filer for rust or rusty-colored fuel.

Mine runs great now...if i\I could just figure out my reverse (or lack thereof) problem

I wouldn’t say it misses. I did replace the fuel filter because I thought that would be it since it’s always the initial acceleration and nothing after. I was thinking the fuel wasn’t being delivered correctly. I also bought a brand new fuel tank so I don’t think that would be rusting. I even drained the tank when I replaced the fuel filter.
AshC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

Jbarnestennis wrote:
Should I take a picture of the inside of the distributor or just the distributor in general?

I'd say don't worry about that for now - you are either going to have points and a condenser (seems most likely now) or you aren't. In the latter case it seems very unlikely now it will be the VW electronic ignition if the block is GD and 78. Still, you may have an aftermarket electronic setup. As said, when you go looking for points you will know...

After that, in addition to the TS2, then still the earths and plug wires suggestions are making a lot of sense.
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

Here are pictures of the distributor

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

do check the plug wires at night with a light mist on them. See if they are arcing to the tin or haloing.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

Turn your engine over by hand until the points are open to their maximum. They will likely have some pitting so can't be checked accurately with a feeler gauge, but they should open about 0.016-0.020 inches from closed.

If you are unfamiliar with these old engines, then getting hold of a copy of John Muir's Idiot Book and doing some bathroom reading would serve you well.
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
do check the plug wires at night with a light mist on them. See if they are arcing to the tin or haloing.

I will try this tonight. Thank you!
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Turn your engine over by hand until the points are open to their maximum. They will likely have some pitting so can't be checked accurately with a feeler gauge, but they should open about 0.016-0.020 inches from closed.

If you are unfamiliar with these old engines, then getting hold of a copy of John Muir's Idiot Book and doing some bathroom reading would serve you well.

So interestingly enough, I just tried this. I do have the Bentley and Muir book. I feel confident that I can do it, but when I was cranking by hand (turning the bolt in front of the alternator) the gap wasn’t opening at all. So then I tried opening the gap and then it wouldn’t even start. So then I guess I don’t know when the gap is fully open or how to get it fully open.
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

the gap will be its largest when it is on one of the lobes. You need to pick up some distributor lobe grease from one of the auto parts near you, then smear about the amount of half the size of a pea or kernel of corn on the distributor lobe as best you can. Pick up a feeler gauge set too it you don't have one.

Report back to us when that is accomplished, anyone of us can explain from there.
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

There are fairly cheap combination electrical multimeter, tach, dwells available today. I always carried a meter, so it takes up no extra space now.

I always double check the point gap measuring dwell now.

I think it was this, but it might have been actron.

https://www.amazon.com/BTMETER-Automotive-Multimet...r_1_1_sspa

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

If you are heading to NAPA pick up a new set of Echlin ventilated contact points while you are there.

To get the wear block at the top of the lobe, you want to turn your engine by hand not with the starter.

Most people with experience prefer to remove the distributor to replace and adjust the points. Just unclip the (usually green) wire from the coil to the distributor, remove the 8M nut (13mm wrench size) from the distributor hold down bracket and lift the distributor out, Do NOT loosen the long 10mm (wrench size) clamping nut. The distributor should just pick right out, but occasionally will be troublesome. Note the direction the rotor is pointing, and do not remove the plug wires from the cap and set the cap aside with just the coil wire removed.
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

So it seems like fixing the gap worked. I went and bought the gap measuring tool and put the gap at .45mm as recommended by the Bentley. However, now it seems to jerk when I’m in gear and not touching the gas. Usually when I’m going slow and in 1st and 2nd. I’ve heard from some people that older VW’s were kind of jerky through the gears, so maybe it’s just common, but it wasn’t doing this before. Odd!
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

did you check the timing when you were done?
Jbarnestennis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
did you check the timing when you were done?

Yes I did it was at about 8 BTDC so I left it as is. Should I adjust it?
mikedjames
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Jerking when Initially Pressing Gas Pedal Reply with quote

A long shot is a wire running from the main loom across the engine coming loose : the jerk is as the engine twists slightly as it accelerates, the wire disconnects momentarily and momentarily cuts the ignition.

1974 VW T2 : Devon Eurovette camper with 1641 DP T1 engine, Progressive carb, full flow oil cooler, EDIS crank timed ignition.
Engine 1: 40k miles (rocker shaft clip fell off), Engine 2: 30k miles (rebuild, dropped valve). Engine 3: a JK Preservation Parts "new" engine, aluminium case: 26k miles: new top end.
Gearbox rebuild 2021 by Bears.

1979 Westerly GK24 24 foot racer/cruiser yacht Forethought of Gosport.
1973 wooden Pacer sailing dinghy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: