Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help Diagnose: Clutch Issue?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cretodecristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Help Diagnose: Clutch Issue? Reply with quote

I need some help with my ‘67 beetle.

Description: I was at a stop light. When it turned green, I attempted to take off when the beetle made loud bang and the car lunged forward. The sound was not like a backfire but more like something giving way. The engine remained on. I could feel the clutch petal still working, and it seemed to go into gear. However, the engine would not engage the tranny in any gear—including reverse. When I press the gas, I only rev the engine. I cleared the intersection and coasted to a friend’s house.

Current situation: I assumed it was a clutch issue since I could not access any gear. Once the new clutch came in, I took the engine down and removed the clutch. Here it is:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
to my eyes, it looks good—almost exactly like the new clutch in the box!
For reference, here are pics of other parts:

Everything in the drive train seems solid. If the clutch is not the problem, what could it be?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Help Diagnose: Clutch Issue? Reply with quote

Cretodecristo wrote:

Everything in the drive train seems solid. If the clutch is not the problem, what could it be?

What's up with those flywheel teeth at top right of the photo ?????
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Help Diagnose: Clutch Issue? Reply with quote

Pull your rear drums and see if the splines that engage the axles have stripped out. With a stock open rear differential, it only takes one to strip out for the car to be unable to move under its own power.

Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Help Diagnose: Clutch Issue? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
Pull your rear drums and see if the splines that engage the axles have stripped out. With a stock open rear differential, it only takes one to strip out for the car to be unable to move under its own power.

Yes, this is also unfortunately too common, from poor quality drums and/or axle nuts not properly torqued and secured with large cotter pin.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cretodecristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Diagnose: Clutch Issue? Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:

VERY interesting! I was already planning on changing the drums, shoes, and cylinders. It’s a good thing I already have the parts! Hopefully, that will be the issue.

Last edited by Cretodecristo on Sat May 28, 2022 8:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
gt1953
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Help Diagnose: Clutch Issue? Reply with quote

Do not purchase drums from rock auto as they more than likely will be out of round. That was my experience with them...just sayin.

72 type 1
72 Squareback
({59 Euro bug, 62, 63, 67, 68, 69, 73 type ones 68 & 69 type two, 68 Ghia all sold})
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help Diagnose: Clutch Issue? Reply with quote

Stripped axle splines has my vote. Shake your clutch plate, if it sounds like a maracas with the springs rattling, you need a new one Cool
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cretodecristo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Help Diagnose: Clutch Issue? Reply with quote

I wanted to provide a follow-up to my original post here. The problem was stripped axle splines in my rear drums. Ah well! At least she now has a new clutch!

While she was garaged and off the road, I replaced brakes and drums all the way around. The brake pads did not need it, but I went ahead and replaced them to go with the new drums. It was then that I discovered that the front driver side brakes are a different width than the rest. These are narrow and will not fit the wider brakes found on the other 3 wheels. After replacing the drums, the narrow brakes barely fit inside! To add to my confusion/frustration, even adjusting the cylinder, the brakes grab, making it hard to turn the wheel manually.

Unfortunately, I now have absolutely NO brakes in the pedal! I tried to bleed them, but I broke off the bleeder screw on one of the front cylinders. Each bleeder screw required a different size to bleed the brakes and I got fed up and used pliers to bleed them. (Good thing I already purchased new cylinders!) Like most things I’ve discovered, various parts were used to keep her on the road through the years. I should not be so surprised at discovering just how patched together this car’s systems are! (Did I mention it appears to have been cobbled together?) This is certainly a labor of love!

Follow up questions to my “new” brake issues:
-How would I rule out master cylinder concerns? Would I need to go ahead and replace the cylinders at the brakes then try? I was able to successfully bleed the rear brakes, so SOMETHING works right!
-The front driver’s side brakes are narrow. It will not accommodate the newer, thicker brakes. Will I need to replace the rear face plate to get the new brakes to fit?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: