Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Meet my Holy Grail!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Jos.Hall wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Take good care of those hubcaps. I believe they're a one-year-only item on Bugs & Ghias, and good ones are getting hard to find.

The beauty rings are OE too.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

rcooled wrote:
Take good care of those hubcaps. I believe they're a one-year-only item on Bugs & Ghias, and good ones are getting hard to find.

Those hubcaps were used on both 1966 and 1967 Type 1 cars with slotted wide five wheels, as well as on 1962 through 1965 Type 3 cars.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/66callingallworkshops/page7.jpg
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
rcooled wrote:

Those hubcaps were used on both 1966 and 1967 Type 1 cars with slotted wide five wheels, as well as on 1962 through 1965 Type 3 cars.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/manuals/66callingallworkshops/page7.jpg

Yes but the Type 3 hubcaps are different - the VW emblem is sunken in like a Bug/Bus earlier hubcap instead of popped outward
Example with it painted (they were painted through the 1963 model year) so it's more evident

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

d'oh! Had a nagging feeling there was something I'd forgotten, thanks for the clarification. It's difficult to see in the brochures, but did the Type 3 line hubcaps change to the same style in 1966 as found on the Type 1 with the VW no longer recessed?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

The 66-67 Type 3s use 4-lug wheels and disc brakes and have unique 66-67 hubcaps that have a large raised center:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

mukluk wrote:
rcooled wrote:

Those hubcaps were used on both 1966 and 1967 Type 1 cars with slotted wide five wheels...

Yes, you're right. The '67 Type 1 Ghia has 4-lug wheels, not wide-fives. And they use the same hubcaps as seen in EverettB's post above ↑

My one-year-only hubcap comment should only apply to '67 Ghias, not Beetles Embarassed
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Herrbern wrote:
Hello, any updates on the vert ?

Sorry for the delay! I'm rarely on the forums these days as we have a great '67 group on facebook that I'm part of (The 1967 VW beetle society). I really should be on here a lot more though. Anyways.....

I've still got the vert. I drug it with me to Texas when we moved last June from Riverside County California and theres a good chance we'll be dragging it back to California this year.

I've been saving up more NOS parts for it mainly small items like Shocks, Bearings, Rubber seals, and also some mint rip free original red '67 seats but I'm still looking for some NOS floor pans and an NOS top.

While I collect parts and money to do the restoration properly (Sent to a shop like Caney Creek here near Austin or Buddy Hale in Arizone) I've purchased a mate for the vert that will most likely spend the rest of it's life or at least mine sharing a garage.

It's an L41 sedan that was also built in November of '66. The sedan has great documentation and retains it's original interior, engine, and mostly original paint (except for the front fenders that were replaced due to a little impact on the left wing.

The purpose of buying this sedan was to have the ability to drive a vehicle and scratch that itch while saving up for the big ticket one. In my mind, the Vert is going to be a 5 year project and I want to have something to enjoy while going through the process. I understand that a car can be restored relatively quickly but when you're trying to use only NOS or extremely nice OG parts they don't come along every day.

In short, I'm sorry there's not a lot of real news on the vert. But, I should start a thread on the sedan as it's originality warrants one Smile It's a great car that was 1 family owned until I purchased it during the pandemic.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
Jos.Hall
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 11:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

Looking back through the thread I failed to share that I acquired this as well Smile Now to find a front at a reasonable price.

'67 L41 Sedan 117333192
'67 L41 Vert 157343589
'67 L19K Vert 157452166
'67 L19K Vert ??????
'67 L282 Vert 157419653
'67 L620 Sedan 117534350 (Sold)
'67 L54 Vert 15745800 (Parted out)
'52 Split based Devin
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: Meet my Holy Grail! Reply with quote

When i bought my L-518 67 two years ago there was a L-41 that I also looked at from photos sent to me. The girl who owned it was hard to make contact with and wanted me to look at it at some really weird times who knows maybe it was her job or something. Wish I would have gotten the chance to check it out closer, nothing like a Black bug. Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: