Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

Finally got around to installing Otto's new fuel tank. Shiny. More work tomorrow.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

Alright I am going out of my mind here. I have the valve cover off and would like to measure valve shim clearance. I cannot find a definitive answer to the method of turning the motor in order to get the cam lobes in the TDC position. There is no way I can place a 12 point socket (I assume 17 or 19mm) onto the crank bolt due to limited spacing in the compartment (muffler is in the way).

I have seen a couple of videos of the feeler gauge procedure, however in those videos, the person doing the measurement has one lobe pointing straight up. I have a german T3 repair book that states the both lobes should be pointed up closing the both valves completely. It also states that the measurements can be done on a cold engine, with Intake measuring 0.15mm-0.25mm and Exhaust being 0.35-0.40mm.

Finally, with the "warm engine procedure" it is mentioned to measure again after installing new tappets. So if one needs to access the crank bolt to turn by hand that seems like a lot of uninstalling and reinstalling of various parts just to get the procedure done. Not to mention that it is not advised to uninstall the valve cover gasket once it has been installed. I would appreciate any help regarding the matter.

Cheers,
Justin
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

It's been nearly three decades since I last measured/adjusted those types of valves, but I think I just measured whichever valves had a lobe pointing up. I used a sharpee to mark which valves had been measured as I went along from one end to the other. You can bump the starter to rotate the engine while doing this procedure. Do you have the lifter tool, shim pliers and spare shims?

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

Take the muffler out or remove the glowplugs out and rotate from the injection pump.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2022 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

I do not have the tools yet, however I plan on purchasing them. Great idea regarding glow plug removal. I have to do a compression test anyway. I appreciate that information.
jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

Tool acquired. I shall continue work this weekend. In the meantime. One of the photos I posted earlier involved a guessing game. Well the reveal was the IsoSchiebefenster and IsoAusstellfenster

https://vwbusforum.ch/uploads/default/optimized/3X...66x500.jpg

I acquired from a vender of the forum. I received a tip from a good member of the location of these windows and finally managed to get a hold of them. These are the plastic sliding and "safari" windows that have been mentioned on the forums. Unfortunately the hinged window cracked during transit and I am in the process of repairing it with weld #4 and the only item that I had on hand that would allow me to bring the cracked portion of the window even with the rest.

I received the tool from a friend during my bachelor party back in April. Two of my friends and I made a Mock Top Gear episode wherein we each had to purchase a shitbox for under $1000, and drive them to Moab, UT where a series of challenges awaited us. Me, being the smart cookie I am, opted for a 1992 Chrysler Town & Country and killed the competition.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gZp1-E85vJ8fTZFIOVXDwq1U1KG24WBS/view?usp=sharing
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

bugeye72 wrote:
I've had a 1Y in my van for about 8 years now, and this is the first I've heard of the serpentine belt/crank pulley being a problem area. I have neither PS or AC. Am I living on borrowed time here? Or With this setup is it reliable (has been so far). Can somebody point me to a remedy? I'm about to do a timing belt in the coming months, it would be the perfect time to deal with it.

I have a new 1Y from the factory in Mexico, and was pleased to confirm that it utilized the newer D-style crank snout and corresponding sprocket.

In fact, I suspect (but am not certain) that AAZ and similar 1.9 diesel engines manufactured or reconditioned by VW after ~1997 also got this improved crankshaft and sprocket design. Perhaps ?Waldo? can provide further insight? More info here:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7506767&highlight=#7506767

In any case, the usual caveats apply, and I would urge anyone with any doubts to remove the sprocket in order to confirm which style you have.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

After many attempts I finally got to trans fill plug out thanks so much to the members of this knowledgeable forum! Eff that was in there tight! 1/2" breaker bar and a BFW but the bugger FINALLY came out! Thank you all for your knowledge and words of encouragement!

jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

I figured out the intercooler pipe routing, all it took was 2 Saab intercooler pipes, the pipe going into the throttle body. I chopped the original T3 intake manifold to turbo hose to accommodate for the 90* bend out the top of the intake manifold.

jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 25, 2022 7:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

One more thing checked off the list. After doing some research, I have managed to replace the LDA diaphragm. I used the following site to get some more oomph out of the ol' can so we will see how it goes.

https://www-bulliforum-com.translate.goog/viewtopi...x_tr_hl=en

I first took my initial distances, the first is the length of thread the socket is set at, followed by the length up to the collar.

I think I found out why Otto was being such a dog throughout our trip, might as well have been driving an NA diesel.

Big ol' hole.

Here it is all buttoned up, it holds vacuum again!

jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2022 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

I finally got around to re-wiring the engine bay and running the new battery cable. I moved the battery to under the passengers seat and ran the power wires the same way they are ran in US vanagons. I took the negative battery cable and repurposed it as the body to chassis ground wire. One side of the negative battery wire is bolted tothe block theough the alternator bracket, the other to the chassis through the engine support bar mounting plate. I also installed the oil cooler.

jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

Hello!

I got around to doing a compression test. I am using an O'Reilly auto parts kit through the injector holes. I am seeing 150psi consistently on all 4 cylinders 1.6TD jx. I know that that psi is low, however I also know that there are disputes as to the quality of these test kits and that so long as each cylinder is within 50psi it should be okay. Also the gauge holds at 150psi after cranking until I push the relief valve. Any thoughts?
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

Are you using a diesel compression gauge?

The wear limit for compression pressure is 412 psi. Even adjusting for elevation, your compression is horrendously low. It won't start/run at that pressure.
jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

I mean I suspect it it just your run of the mill gauge. I know the van starts and runs, or it wouldn't be where it is today. I'm sure it's fine. I really just wanted to check that the cylinders were equivalent. I did have all injectors un-installed while testing. I don't think that that would have any effect on the cylinder being tested.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

Post a picture of the tester and how you attached it to the engine.
jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/c/performance-t...fm0/w89735

I used the VW adapter into the injection nozzle hole. I used the old nozzle spacers that were previously in the holes, I tightened but did not torque the test unit. All other nozzles were uninstalled during testing.
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

That is a diesel compression tester. It should read relatively accurately. The injector adapter should be torqued (old heat shields are fine for this). I don't have a decent explanation about the low reading you got. The IDI diesels will not start and run with compression that low. Did you have anything blocking the air intake? Was your battery fully charged and your starter cranking fast during the testing? Did you spin the engine until the gauge reading stopped rising with each rotation of the crankshaft?
jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
That is a diesel compression tester. It should read relatively accurately. The injector adapter should be torqued (old heat shields are fine for this). I don't have a decent explanation about the low reading you got. The IDI diesels will not start and run with compression that low. Did you have anything blocking the air intake? Was your battery fully charged and your starter cranking fast during the testing? Did you spin the engine until the gauge reading stopped rising with each rotation of the crankshaft?

Did you have anything blocking the air intake?
no, open hose as I am moving the intake to the passengers side

Was your battery fully charged and your starter cranking fast during the testing?
I charged the battery for a day, crank speed was normal.

Did you spin the engine until the gauge reading stopped rising with each rotation of the crankshaft?
Do you mean by hand? I took my phone and recorded the gauge while cranking with the key. The gauge always increased to 150-160psi and the needle would not increase any more.

[/b]
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

Do you still have any of the video recordings? Can you post one?
jhax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Refreshing Otto (Imported T3 1.6 JX TD) Reply with quote

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Rv5EzyYVipYA6Yaz7
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: