Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Rear apron and header heat
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:54 pm    Post subject: Rear apron and header heat Reply with quote

Hi I am looking for suggestions to protect my rear apron from the heat coming off the exhaust header. After driving the apron is to hot to touch at times and I don’t want to burn the paint off. Anyone have any suggestions on this one. I’m sure I’m not the only one to ever have this issue. Thanks
Slow-N-Rusty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear apron and header heat Reply with quote

You can get your headers ceramic coated. Reduces temps but is expensive. The nice thing is your headers will look fantastic for a long time (if that matters to you)

Header wrap will also reduce temps but you would need to check the exhaust occasionally to make sure it isnt rusting out under the wrap. Some people say it makes the tubes brittle and could lead to cracking.

They sell a heat shield material which is basically sheets of ceramic wool sandwiched between aluminum sheets. If you have the room between the header and apron you could bend up some small brackets to mount a sheet between your bumper mounts or wherever is convenient. It can be formed to shape around the exhaust and should reflect a lot of heat away from the apron.
Danpa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: Rear apron and header heat Reply with quote

Do you have the factory heat shield that is spot welded to the inside of the apron?

Dan
77 Scirocco (gone)
73 Squareback (scrapped)
70 Beetle (current, in pieces)
RLFD213
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Rear apron and header heat Reply with quote

Hi Dan. No factory heat shield. I wrapped the header really good with header wrap and ordered some aluminum heat shielding that I glued on to the back of the apron. Problem solved..
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: