Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:49 am    Post subject: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Has anyone seen any dyno testing results using these EMPI ida manifolds? (Circled in red) Anyone using these currently and have you experienced any tuning problems? The manifold for the 1-2 side has a big dog leg. I was looking at these only because I would like to run air cleaner/filters and still be able to close the deck lid on either my 61 or 66 bug.

Marty
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fuguboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

I would think the other 631 short manifold is better, kinda obviously uneven runner length.
RCP Phx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

That's a equation just asking for problems!
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

The runs are so short I doubt anything will show up on a dyno.
bugguy1967
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Silly silly design. Find something straighter.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Why bother running IDAs just to hobble them with a 90 degree turn directly under the throttle plate?

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Why bother running IDAs just to hobble them with a 90 degree turn directly under the throttle plate?

Because they look KEWL.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Lingwendil wrote:

Because they look KEWL.

It is not about looking "kewl". Just thought I would ask a couple of questions and as usual if it something out of the "norm" a guy gets flamed.
Yes I can see the dog leg in the manifold, that is EXACTLY WHY I asked if someone has tried them and the results.
1961 Bug, 2276 cb wedge ports 44x37 11.1 comp fk10 1.5 rockers 48idf's 1 3/4" header Rancho pro street trans SAW axles Airkewld 4# narrowed beam, Koni shocks, Airkewld dis brake all around. 5.5/4.5 BRMs

1966 Bug, 2127, panchito heads, fk8, 1.3 rockers, dual 44idfs, 1 5/8 merge header, Rancho pro strt flyer, empi axles, Airkewld's 4" beam and discs all around and adjustable shocks. 4.5 & 5.5 BRMs
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

motomwo wrote:

It is not about looking "kewl". Just thought I would ask a couple of questions and as usual if it something out of the "norm" a guy gets flamed.
Yes I can see the dog leg in the manifold, that is EXACTLY WHY I asked if someone has tried them and the results.

So far just speculation and negative comments. Looks like no one has had them on a flow bench. They do look odd, but we don’t know with out someone testing them right?
Paul.H
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:06 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:

Why bother running IDAs ?
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Keep looking I am sure there are other brands that save space.

I have a set of cast iron, lowering space savers. They were for my Dells.

Could not adjust my carbs with the stock 914 manifolds that came with my carbs they were too high but beautiful aluminum. Got them from Claude's Bugs
30 years ago.

But I would think you can get for mostly any well known carbs.
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Are Jay-Cee intake manifolds to tall?

Sorry for the bad pic.
It's the best an old man can do when holding a tape measure and trying to take a pic.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Thank you posting the pictures. Those would probably work depending on the air filters used. I am looking for pictures of this style size of manifolds with air filters installed in the bug.

motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Doing some more looking around and found this thread talking about the same thing that Dan Ruddock started.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=585481&highlight=ida+filters

motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Here is something that would work I think with the short style manifolds. The manifolds in this picture look "tall" to me. Are they the tall or short manifolds?

motomwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

67rustavenger wrote:
Are Jay-Cee intake manifolds to tall?

Sorry for the bad pic.
It's the best an old man can do when holding a tape measure and trying to take a pic.

Thank you for the pictures and measurement. Did you ever receive the ram flow filters to try you discussed in this topic?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750119&highlight=ida+filters

67rustavenger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Sadly, No!
I tried to get the post office to retrieve them. But they refused to help.
Money gone down the drain.
It happens in this hobby. I figure karma will get the vendor, sooner or later.

I'm going a completely different direction this time around.
So I have no need for the Ram-Flow filters, anymore!

If you like a pair, Ohio Tom has/had a set that he offered me, in the background.
Maybe he still has them for sale.

There's never enough time to do it right the first time. But there's always enough time to do it thrice.
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo!
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

real DDS shorties in a 67.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Matthew
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: EMPI IDA "space saver" manifolds Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:

What brand are these?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: