Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Electric conversions-- on the way?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

adding a motor to the transaxle retains all the syncro stuff like the locking differential, decoupler, viscous coupler, and front locker, as well as low gear. Much simpler and way more versatile (although some of this is in the front diff).
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

few more wire nuts and i'd feel better about it

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
davideric9
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Oh, how many wire nuts in your syncro EV conversion? Please post a photo of your conversion so we can see the correct way to do this....
1988 Wolfsburg GL (bought 2012)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
davideric9 wrote:

Sweet Jesus , that’s awful. Someone actually wired that.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

dabaron wrote:
VicVan wrote:

For the once a year long-haul-more-than-1000 km-road-trip, you install a compact generator...and it charges your battery as you go

good luck with that. you will need a 10k generator (not compact) and you would drink gas with the system under load.

the ICE in the Prius hybrid platform is driving the wheels and has an electric motor/generator between the ICE and the transmission. the electric motor operates the Prius at low speeds from the battery, then adds assist under heavy loads, typically accelerations. a Prius is an "electric-assist" vehicle at highway speed. under braking the motor switches to generator mode and charges the battery. the ICE is mechanically connected to the transmission.

a diesel electric locomotive has a prime mover (the diesel engine) which drives an alternator. this is then regulated by a silicon rectifier which is controlled by the engineer's throttle lever. the electricity is sent to traction motor which are connected by fixed gearing on each axle (4 or 6 axle units are the most common in the US). the ICE is electrically connected to the axles.

while not completely like a diesel-electric locomotive, the Chevy Volt comes pretty close, it is a series/parallel hybrid design. it has an ICE that turns a generator which feeds a charger and then goes to a convertor and then the electric motor which drives an electric transmission to power the wheels. the battery is connected to the power lines between the charger and convertor. the Volt will operate from the batteries until they go below a voltage threshold. the ICE will then operate the generator and power the electric motor, any excess power is feed to the battery. the ICE is electrically connected to the transmission.

the ICE in the Volt is an inline 4 cylinder, 1.4L which makes 84hp at 4800rpm. the battery range is 53 miles, the ICE range is 420 miles. the Chevy Volt is how we should be building automobiles.

200 kilometers is 125 miles. that gets me almost to the mountains where i enjoy camping. i can't imagine listening to a generator run while i wait for enough charge to get me closer to my destination in the forest.

basically, this plan is a non-starter for the majority of Mid-Atlantic region Vanagon owners. it's a non-starter as an in-motion primer mover as well.

can you tell it's raining here today Wink

I completely agree!
100% electric with huge expensive batteries isn't tge way to go right now, yet it is being shoved down our throats for some reason.

A plug in Short range 100% electric with an onboard ICE for longer journeys satisfies our need to reduce fossil fuel use and eliminate range anxiety.

I think a 50 mile 100% electric range will satisfy the vast majority of most peoples daily power needs.

Our power infrastructure cannot support an electric America.
Already in Texas there are notifications on Teslas dash screens about what hours they should NOT charge because of grid over load.

IMHO 100% battery electric is not the future, I don't know what the future is but these 100% electric cars are going to be seen as but an intermediate step to something else.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
Oh, how many wire nuts in your syncro EV conversion? Please post a photo of your conversion so we can see the correct way to do this....

It is really easy to throw stones from an arm chair.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Yes, I can see the reason for keeping the tranny since the rear suspension geometry and diff are already there, but I seems a bit of a jury rig system. As a kid, I remember the independent Jag rear end, which was a big favorites of the street rod crowd. Why wouldn't something like that make sense? They were organized around a lot more HP so the longevity of the gear teeth and bearings would be assured. Plus it would give more room for the motor and batteries.

Radiator? That seems a bit odd to me. Does a Tesla have a radiator? I guess for heat, I'd tend to go with a dinosaur fueled job as it would mean more range. I know it wouldn't be as green and will probably be outlawed, but the T3 needs quit a bit of heat given the volume and amount of glass. Maybe a reverse cycle heat pump would be the answer. I really look forward to seeing what iterations the T3 winds up with. I have little doubt that 30 years from now a bunch will be running around with only electrons on board to push that big front end through the wind. Local delivery vans like UPS will no doubt lead the way.

I followed the guy who took a normal splitty and turned it into a 23 window and full electric. But at the end, he went Facebook, which I don't do and lost him. Does anyone know what happened to his project?

Duncan
vwhammer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

The EV swapped Defender That Electric Classic Cars has done is done much the way a friend of mine is doing his Discovery with the tesla motor in the middle where the transfer case used to be

He is in the process of starting an EV swap business and the Disco is his personal vehicle he is building as a showpiece.
It's getting a full AEM management system with some high-end batteries

Other than that he is working on an older land rover that is getting a lower HP motor in the front attached to the stock trans.

When I say lower HP it's still almost double what the truck came with and has nearly triple the torque.

He is also doing some upgrades on this ol' girl that had an EV swap done about 10 years ago.

That van in the background of the video is getting an EV swap and a little bit of info can be seen in this vid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q7ZCq3iQgI&t=542s

You could approach a Vanagon EV swap in a number of ways.
On a 2wd, you could simply put a tesla motor in the rear and connect it to the stock axles
On the Syncro, as was mentioned, you can attach a motor to the stock trans but even with a less powerful motor I suspect that the torque would quickly destroy a syncro trans.
You could run the Tesla motor in the middle much like the Disco and Defender (if you can make the room underneath) put a diff in the rear and run driveshafts to the front and rear diffs or go all out and do a full front and rear Tesla motor swap.

If an EV Vanagon was built with practicality and range in mind I have no doubts that it would work for most people most of the time.
A 120-150hp electric motor and its associated torque would be more than enough for even the most heavily loaded Vanagons.
Toss a boatload of batteries everywhere you can and you could likely approach north of 250 mile ranges
Yes I know batteries are not cheap but used Tesla modules can be had at a decent price
With modern batteries and chargers, you can get an 80% charge in 20 minutes.
20 minutes is a regular gas station stop for me when I am on road trips.
Find a charger near a place to eat and you can charge 100% while you do dinner and be on your way.

In my opinion hybrids are the worst of both worlds.
You get all the maintenance associated with ICE setups and lack of range from the EV part of the equation because all your space is occupied by the ICE stuff.

My friend Woody (the owner of the shop) and I have even been talking about a little trailer that would have some extra batteries and some solar onboard for those instances where you wanted to go a little further.
It could function as a camper trailer of sorts to carry extra gear or possibly more space to sleep or maybe a bathroom.
All sorts of possibilities and ways to make electric work.

Sure it's not currently as simple as a plain old gas car but, as tech improves, it will be and for most people in most situations an electric car will works just like a gas car.
It's only the longer road trips where it differs and you have to plan your route a little more.

If Woody can make me a deal on a tesla motor he has sitting at the shop now, my van (the blue one that can be seen in the first pic) might be his first Vanagon conversion.
Don't know if I would just stick to RWD to make it simple or try and do a 4x4 conversion since I have been working on that already.

Anyway, If any of you are thinking about an EV conversion you might give him a shout.

Conversions are his focus but he is an authorized dealer for several companies and likely would be able to help with sourcing parts for the DIYer.

He has only just started the transition from standard auto shop to EV conversion shop but interest is growing and his availability is getting more and more limited.
I should warn you though that to do these conversions properly is not cheap.

https://www.instagram.com/electromodgarage/
https://www.electromodgarage.com/

Sorry, I am kind of all over the place with this post but there are so many things I want to talk about.
I am fully on board with the EV thing and really want to help clear up any concerns or misconceptions.

An EV swap van could be in my future but I have been saving my pennies so I can be one of the first in line when the Buzz hits the market this time next year.

Maybe I will do the EV swap into something a little more racey.
A 300hp RWD EV MK1 Golf has been popping up in my head for a few months now.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
davideric9 wrote:

It is really easy to throw stones from an arm chair.

Laughing

clearly neither of you have seen my work. i wouldn't hook that abortion to a watch battery, let alone plug it into a wall. i don't care if it 'works' it looks like shit and i see 100+ failure points, let alone fire risk

i'm gearing up to work more with EV's. not because i believe in them but because i absolutely love shoving my hands deep into peoples bank accounts and sleeping on a mattress full of money

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Pick up Casey’s book on wiring and when you count 10 items of poor workmanship , you have found about 1/3 of the faults. Maybe 1/5, I didn’t look that hard.

A surprising number of people think thst electric cars are “Safer” then gas cars. For tailless monkey DIY, with gas you just have to keep it contained, whereas there are no limits to the way you fubar high power electrics

I’ll guarantee you there are no wire nuts in skills’ auto wiring

Last edited by Abscate on Sun May 29, 2022 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:
adding a motor to the transaxle retains all the syncro stuff like the locking differential, decoupler, viscous coupler, and front locker, as well as low gear. Much simpler and way more versatile (although some of this is in the front diff).

Yes, I understand that, the question is to make it possible to eliminate the delicate Syncro transmission with control of the electric motor through a one speed transmission like the Tesla. Perhaps with two electric motors, one in back, one in front. No idea how to have lockers.

With 450 plus hp and related toque it won't take long to tear through the stock Syncro transmission Confused .

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:
davideric9 wrote:

Yes, I understand that, the question is to make it possible to eliminate the delicate Syncro transmission with control of the electric motor through a one speed transmission like the Tesla. Perhaps with two electric motors, one in back, one in front. No idea how to have lockers.

With 450 plus hp and related toque it won't take long to tear through the stock Syncro transmission Confused .

Why stop there? Why not four smaller independent motors, one on each wheel?
Mckinleyvillian
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
davideric9 wrote:

do you have a fully functioning electric syncro, 100% in the driveway DIY conversion project?

I was in this van this AM. it's not the cleanest and it's not done, but damn, it's a bad ass work in progress

85 Vanagon GL 1.9 stick
RoryGirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

davideric9 wrote:

Mckinleyvillian wrote:
do you have a fully functioning electric syncro, 100% in the driveway DIY conversion project?

Link

I'm with skills on the wire nuts...not for automotive - but aren't part of the fully functioning in my driveway crew, so I guess the opinion is moot Rolling Eyes

I was actually going to post earlier that "few more wire nuts and i'd feel better about it" was him taking it easy on things, lol
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Creation is a messy process. Wirenuts allow things to be connected and disconnected in a secure way. Great for testing things. Permanent soldered or crimped and heat shrunk connections are for when things are sorted out. Anyone who can make a Syncro EV has the abilities to sort out the wiring with some harness braiding and zip ties when they feel it's ready.

Naysayers definitely look like sour grapes to me.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

People who do this stuff professionally don’t have a wire nut phase, they go from circuit to implementation. There is nothing new here, electronically.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the market for Ev conversions will remain the Domain of Uber rich playboys. The labor and cost involved will never make it economical to EV your Town and Country. At todays prices , gas is 25 cents per mile which is a $3000 annual cost. Ev will save about half that cost.

A $10,000 capital conversion to save $15,000 over 10 years?

No.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
People who do this stuff professionally don’t have a wire nut phase, they go from circuit to implementation. There is nothing new here, electronically.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the market for Ev conversions will remain the Domain of Uber rich playboys. The labor and cost involved will never make it economical to EV your Town and Country. At todays prices , gas is 25 cents per mile which is a $3000 annual cost. Ev will save about half that cost.

A $10,000 capital conversion to save $15,000 over 10 years?

No.

It's a different kind of investment. I just put solar on my home. Do I ever expect to see actual "ROI" where the system pays for itself?

No probably not.

But I like the idea that I am using my wealth to be part of a solution rather than protecting my privileges.

This applies for these vehicles too- if somebody wants to spend their time, energy, and money trying to come up with an option to dependence on fossil fuels, more power to them, regardless of wire nuts or miraculously discovering clean portable cold fusion.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Quote:

But I like the idea that I am using my wealth to be part of a solution rather than protecting my privileges.

#respect

I do respect the people who do this, but I think it’s a forlorn hope that in 5 years there will be a path to convert a current ICE vehicle to EV in a way that makes sense for the mass transportation market. We will go EV by new EV builds and retirement of old ICE; this wankers’ opinion only.
vanagonjr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
At todays prices , gas is 25 cents per mile which is a $3000 annual cost. Ev will save about half that cost.

While I may (or may not) agree with much you have said, the EV saving is way more than 1/2 the has cost.
For my 60 miles, it costs me about $1.50/day to charge.. Let’s call it $2.00 to account for charging losses.

At even 30 mpg (my old ICE Civic… well last one was actually a 19mpg 996) it is currently costing 2 x $4.60/gal.

Let’s round. $2 vs $9.
I estimate I’m saving about $2,000 a year with my annual mileage.
LiMBO is on Facebook too! https://www.facebook.com/groups/
FAQ thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=525798
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric conversions-- on the way? Reply with quote

vanagonjr wrote:
Abscate wrote:
At todays prices , gas is 25 cents per mile which is a $3000 annual cost. Ev will save about half that cost.

While I may (or may not) agree with much you have said, the EV saving is way more than 1/2 the has cost.
For my 60 miles, it costs me about $1.50/day to charge.. Let’s call it $2.00 to account for charging losses.

At even 30 mpg (my old ICE Civic… well last one was actually a 19mpg 996) it is currently costing 2 x $4.60/gal.

Let’s round. $2 vs $9.
I estimate I’m saving about $2,000 a year with my annual mileage.

You are right on that, I am out of date on current e-Mpg numbers. It isi the range of 4-6x better, but there will be taxation on electricity that will erode that. Thanks for correction.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 19

Jump to: