Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sunroof bus, to poptop or not
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

I just made a deal to buy an early sunroof bus, not sure what year didn't really care. An old guy near me sold his house and has a bunch of vws to get rid of. I have a year to get it out of the barn it's in. The body is very straight with the usuall rust through in some of the lower areas not too bad. The interior is a 9 out of 10. Passenger bus setup. Only buying it because bays aren't getting any easier to find, its only a mile away and for 1500$. He also has a few early westys. Two of them have good camper interiors and tops. They are really rusty, from experience I know I don't want to mess with them. But I bet I could buy one of them for 500$ essentially for the interior and poptop to convert the sunroof bus to a camper. Ultimately my wife and I would prefer a camper interior. But busses in their original form are getting harder to find and even fewer unique models like sunroofs. To bastardize it or not that would be the question.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

If I understand correctly the sunroof opening is the same as a westy except for two additional reinforcements, one on each side?
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

i'll call them "nut plates" but yes there is a reinforcing plate for each hinge. it's been a while, but as i recall they screw into the area in the cab where all the panels meet/headliner bows rest

that said, if it's a sunroof bus and all of that shit is there and works, i'd keep it a sunroof bus. they are pretty fucking cool and not many are out there

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

X2 on keep the sunroof mechanism if it's salvageable.

The camper interior bolts into the sunroof bus with minimal drilling, it'd be like a tintop with the option to stand up or ventilate if you desired.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

if I was in AK and had this offer
at the current rate of VW parts prices, availability and (lack of) quality of replacement parts.
I'd buy out all 3 and sell the extra camping interior/top

I would also leave the sunroof as a sunroof bus.. but if you do want the comfort and convenience of a poptop I would not remove the sunroof mechanism and add in the poptop.. this is a modification that could be reversed if wanted/needed by the next caretaker of the bus.

all in all they aren't making any more of them. and I'm sure less of them are ending up in AK at the end of their road/lives.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

Having a sunroof bus with camper interior is pretty nice.
Our sunroof cables and bits are in the barn, but we can open the roof after sliding the interior panel back and removing some home made blocks that keep it elevated and closed. Takes a few minutes.
Sleeping under the stars inside the bus with mosquito netting over the open roof and windows is a treat.
The downside of the sunroof is the interior wind storm for those sitting in the rear westy street when under power.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

Yep, all good points. I would leave the sunroof mechanism intact for sure. It has the usual signs of not working, some sort of extra seal around it and isn't all the way flush with the rest of the roof. Leaning towards camper interior sunroof van. A full length roof rack with a hole in the middle would be good. Our husky would enjoy the wind storm in the back. You never know , if he gets desperate to move the last of his herd I do have acreage to park them on Smile . Won't likely haul it home until fall. Summer madness in alaska has begun!
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

it's funny that people blame the seals when a sunroof dumps water on the interior
but the only seal is a dust/wind seal it doesn't seal water.
water is supposed to fall into a drain trough and is supposed to drain amply at all 4 corners..
but years of leaf/tree litter, pollen that turns to slime up top and mud daubers and spiders plugging the bottom of the drain lines from underneath..
prevents proper flow in the drains..

a little time with a small brush tied to a length of wire goes a long ways to a properly draining sunroof. that doesn't require duct tape or silicone to seal it up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2022 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

there can be condensation on the inside of the roof that does not dump into the sunroof pan. That is also the main reason sunroof pans rot out. I've been showered in my 1971 in rainy cold weather where the hot moist air comes in thru the heater, it condenses on the inside of the roof, collects and comes forward in a hard stop. Usually when it does it is over the driver's left hand shoulder or the passengers right hand shoulder i there is a passenger in the seat.
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

I am one more who is agreeing that keeping the sunroof is a good idea. I once had a '69 sunroof Bus, but most of my Buses have been Westfalias. I always thought it would be neat to have a sunroof camper. We drive our Buses more than make camp in them, so it seemed I would get more use out of the sunroof, but still have a camper interior when I needed it.

We're at a phase of Volkswagening where our Bay Buses are quickly increasing in value and originality makes them most valuable. If you kept the sunroof, but installed a Westfalia interior, that arrangement could be undone much more easily than installing a pop top. Similarly, in my '74 Sun Bug, the stock '74-'75 seats are quite uncomfortable, so when restoring it, I tracked down a pair of '73 Sports Bug/Recaro-Porsche seats and had them restored in the SE Sun Bug upholstery. These seats are SO comfortable. However, when I sell it, if the next owner is even more of a stickler for originality than I, they can just reinstall the original seats in about 15 minutes.

I also agree with SGKent about sunroof drainage. When I first got my '69 sunroof Bus, it leaked water in heavy rain, so I blew out the drain tubes and never had that problem again.
rsbadura
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:23 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

alaskadan wrote:
To bastardize it or not that would be the question.

It is your bus - do what you like with it...

I converted also my sunroof luxury bus to a camper... visited 3 continents and 17 states in the past 12 years.
That is the individual style the VW bus are loved for as an icon Wink
After some years traveling with my self-made camper, I sold all the sunroof parts... I will never want to switch it back.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

And in the past there were not only Westfalia (they were expensive), but many small and large companies that converted a VW bus into a camper van - or many self-made camper vans. So it was common to convert kombi and buses to campers.

In my 25+ years with vintage cars, I've had many tire kicker experts who had no idea what was original and what wasn't - even talking about my original cars. Rolling Eyes
Volkswagen have a museum collecting cars for history - also a German T2 club. But I'm not a museum - so I'm not responsible to keep it all original.

alaskadan wrote:
If I understand correctly the sunroof opening is the same as a westy except for two additional reinforcements, one on each side?

Yes - at very early T2 Westfalia it was a sunroof bus.
But the metal box at the rear for the parking position of the open sunroof is ~ 3" tall (see photo below),
so avoided later (1969?) and better used for a Westfalia ceiling cabinets instead of only a luggage net.
(the lateral reinforcements and water drains were then also dispensed with)

Mounting a ceiling cabinet below this box will be possible, but I have renounced it because of more headroom when waking up.
Instead I have a big box at the roof rack.

There were more types of roofs at Westfalia - some not exported to the US (or not shown in US brochures):
a) the 1/3 pop up, later in model 1977 a little bigger length (as mine) - only to be able to stand inside and air ventilation
b) the also in US most popular 2/3 pop up first fixed at the front, later model 1974 at the rear
c) the 2/3 big side wise fixed pop up - with a different, much bigger roof aperture.
d) tin top as a usual van
Westfalia was not in all countries the first choice of VW - so you find other interiors and roof types e.g. in Australia or GB at original VW campers.

regards,
1982 Eriba Pan travel trailer
2017 VW CrossPolo
HAZET classic tools
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nemobuscaptain
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

Yeah, we didn't get those other style tops or other style interiors in the US, except for the rare European delivery type vehicles or servicemembers bringing them home.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/FullMoonBusClub

RIP Bob Hoover https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=427791
Hoover Sermons: https://www.vwsage.com/images/vwsage/Bob%20Hoovers%20Sermons.pdf
creative native Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

nemobuscaptain wrote:
Yeah, we didn't get those other style tops or other style interiors in the US, except for the rare European delivery type vehicles or servicemembers bringing them home.

I'm from the Ft. Bragg area and I often saw some of these cool VWs around. At the local VW shops, we would see them occasionally for service. I didn't realize how rare some of these really are until I moved away. I've not seen a Dormobile or midmodel (my circle's term for a '68-'71 Bus) with the small '62-'67 pop top, since.
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

Good info thank you. I do like dormobile and mid tops.
Type2_Personality
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Sunroof bus, to poptop or not Reply with quote

When I bought my first Deluxe Sunroof 71 Bus new and had it converted to a camper at AdventureWagen they could not legally install their gas stove in it unless they put a raised roof (about 3 inches or so, like the top left photo) in place of the factory sunroof.

I opted to keep the factory sunroof ~ priceless for the clear starlit skies and a great combination for the adjustable AdventureWagen bed in the back. It can also give you an option for transporting some odd size items (plants, trees) through the sunroof opening.

I'm all for keeping the original sunroof, I wish my current 71 had one.

400,000+ West Coast USA Miles
Too Many Dead Shows To Remember
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: