Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Claydogh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 8:30 pm    Post subject: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

Hi folks! Tore into the block of my engine as I was working on the tin just to see what I could see. The cam bearings were in troubling shape, those are on order. New rod bearings are ready to go in. Now Im just checking out the mains.

Long story short, I love learning about this stuff. Let me know what you think about the bearings, condition, age, manufacturer, anything! I have limited knowledge on this and may get things wrong but thats learning!

First things first, the cam. Two issues. One bearing is fully worn to copper, another’s surface broke off when I split the case apart. Ah! Glad I went in to check.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The weirdest thing here, is that the opposite half of the copper bearing looks to be in perfect shape…

This one was not long for this world…

Next up, mains! They look okayish to me? Plastigauge says they are within wear… Im not sure what everyones thoughts here are on reusing main bearings but Ill need to do more research.

For some reason I think I saw somewhere that these were “Good” oldstock bearings by the symbols, I could be wrong.

Checking both main (the one I could do) and rods with plastigauge got me directly on the “A-OKAY” range via the manual. Does this mean the mains are good or a must replace regardless?

What are your thoughts? Thanks!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:54 am    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

As a general rule of thumb, IF the wear surface is still silver and not badly scored, they are reusable.

But, once the copper color shows ....... they are done.

This is a simplistic answer but is a good visual tell tale.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wellington
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 3:59 am    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

You are already in there.
If you can find main bearings, install new ones. Make sure you get the right ones, crank size, case size and thrust. If you fell yours are "good" just get the same ones.
The one behind the gear is a bit of a challenge, but if you have the tool, very easy to pull the gear. When its time to install the gear heat it up, and it will slip right back on, but be quick.
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

fun times. here are shots of my cam bearings (83.5 wbx). they looked much the same as yours.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=7136712#7136712

cam bearing mugshots. the state of the middle ones alarmed me at first - but then i remembered reading about 'chrome flakes' and it being somewhat typical.

ALIKA T3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

I wouldn't reuse any of these bearings, but that's me.

The copper looking one is looking all copper as far as wear, maybe it always was this color? or they reused that half at a previous rebuild time?

KS is Kolbenschmidt. (VW)
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=416343
Syncro http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4...num+gadget
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

Those are Genuine OEM VW bearings. You can't get any better than that.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Claydogh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

I am replacing the Cam bearings no matter what, super easy to get to and cheap.

They Mains I was curious about re-using for the exact reason @heimlich mentioned. They seem to be these "KS" (didnt know that meant oem!) bearings are the top tier and even @Clatter reused them in his Cheap Junk Build here https://shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=145853&...p;start=30

So my thoughts are, are OEMs the best and keep them? Or they are old so replace them? Seem to measure out from what I can tell... Might clean them up and run 'em....

@atomatom You're thread was a good read, although it does make me feel a bit better about my engine haha! Mine started out quite clean... I have a feeling someone went through it sometime in the past years and then it just sat...

Interesting that your cam bearings had the same failure...

So my friends, what do you think? Replace the old Cam Bearings and run the old Mains? I am an idiot for considering it? Would love to know your thoughts.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

No, you're not an idiot for considering reusing bearings.

I've always renewed bearings after disassembly simply because it is "best" practice and easy to do while it is apart.

But,

As I've aged and as the parts prices skyrocket as the quality of the parts plummets, I find myself reusing quality serviceable original parts more and more.

If I were to tear down an engine today, I'd seriously consider reusing the bearing if they prove themselves to be good.
But......
You need to pull the cam gear and verify that bearing is indeed good.
You also need to assess thrust bearing wear.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Claydogh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

Deal. I just bought the puller to get the cam gear off. Ill pull that and check out the rest of the bearings before I make any decisions.

I cant even find a good online shop that has both Cam bearings and STD Mains in stock on the same site, or the mains are incredibly expensive and off brand anyway...

I'll order the cam bearings, pull the mains, clean 'em up while I wait and check back in.

Thanks Dave!
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

i'm glad i documented my work, even if i'm not proud of some of it. more than once i find the google search result links to something i forgot i wrote. or i wonder, hmm, did i change the cam bearings (yes, i did, because it was open). anyway, hope my failures can help avoid yours.

i don't think my cam bearings were in a state that would have warranted tearing the engine apart. the busted main bearing though, eesh. that was causing a ton of other problems, cylinders shifted and got a nasty compression leak (seal at top of piston). compression was crap too, so new piston rings. once you're in the rabbit hole, might as well see how deep it goes (actually, don't, get it back together for camping season). 8 years on, i still have good oil pressure and i suspect good compression - haven't tested that recently. i replaced all the bearings with the exception of the small ends of the rods (in hindsight, rebuild rods would have been smart)
Claydogh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

Haha @atomatom ! I also find my own forums while googling things once in a while. Half the time I'll read a few posts and think, "wow I had the same issues as this guy" before realizing it's me. Heh!

Good to hear your engine is doing dandy. I broke a stud in the head, now I have new heads, bigger cylinders, pistons, exhaust, heater boxes, painted tin, and am in the center of the engine. I know how that rabbit hole can suck you in....
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

Putting the cam gear on?
Heat it, best done in a pot submerged in oil.

Install it quickly and PROPERLY.
It will slip right on like a loose ring.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

If bearing clearances are within spec for new parts and the bearings do not have any obvious defects, it is not best practice to replace them 'while you're in there'. It is best practice to reuse them. Replacing them just requires the crank and bearings to wear into each other all over again causing unnecessary wear on the crank.

IMO, the pictured cam bearings should be replaced. The pics on the crank bearings are less definitive. Are those clean?
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

?Waldo? wrote:
If bearing clearances are within spec for new parts and the bearings do not have any obvious defects, it is not best practice to replace them 'while you're in there'. It is best practice to reuse them. Replacing them just requires the crank and bearings to wear into each other all over again causing unnecessary wear on the crank.

IMO, the pictured cam bearings should be replaced. The pics on the crank bearings are less definitive. Are those clean?

We obviously had different teachers for "best" practice.
Mine in the early 1970's were MBNA (Mercedes Benz of North America) trained.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
?Waldo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
?Waldo? wrote:

We obviously had different teachers for "best" practice.
Mine in the early 1970's were MBNA (Mercedes Benz of North America) trained.

Dave

It would be fun to discuss with your teachers regarding their rationale for what they taught you. If their rationale was more sensible than what I already stated, then I'd be happy to change my mind on the subject. Given that they aren't here, and you haven't given any reason, I am unmoved by your 'appeal to authority'.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 2:49 am    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

Well........

You are right, I'm sure my Mercedes .benz teachers are long dead and they never explained the "why" for their stand.

But,

If I sent an engine out to a shop to be rebuilt and they did nit install new bearings in it, .i'd be pissed!
I bet almost everyone reading this would be pissed too if it happened to them.

Any company that says "Eh! The old bearings were good enough, we reused them" would be a shop to avoid.

There is a company rebuilding VW engines today that operates in exactly this manner......
we all know the name of the company .....

GEX

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 3:41 am    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

Best practice is a function of intended use not some biblical tablet written by someone.

For a camper used only, 5k per year, 5 year picture… re use those bearings.

If you want 5 years at 25k per year, get some new ones and your micrometer set out

Both approaches are “ sound practice” … maybe that can avoid the p**ing match ?
atomatom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

100% abscate. and your ass is in the van, so, you have to make the call that is right for you.

you have to do the best you can with what is available to you. some bearings are hard to find and some parts are poor quality. i think vanogism (sure, that is a word) promotes hoarding because you never know if you'll need that part again. i have a complete engine that i'm slowly picking away at, plus another box or two of engine bits.

some things were a poor design - my main thrust bearing - and probably yours from the look of it, are prone to cracking. maybe you'll be fine, maybe not. if you can source the right set you probably want to do that given the investment in new heads/etc.

and i'm sure you already know, it doesn't matter how much money you sink into it, you're still driving a 40+ year old vehicle that is famous for breaking down, but one you can sleep in and cook dinner while you wait for a tow truck. i got towed only once (unlimited towing, awesome, but they tow you to a shit garage) and after that (perhaps a dozen times) always fixed it myself on the road. this is the way.
Claydogh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2022 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

Good points all around folks.

I ordered new Cam and Mains. Finally found a shop that had both in stock (Jbugs, even though last time they never shipped an order... something about stocking being weird).

Figured I will install new ones, and keep those old ones in my toolkit on the road.

Got a bunch of other gaskets and stuff too. I think thats everything I need for the van as of now... Time to clean it up and start assembling.

Cheers!
Claydogh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: What do my bearings say about my engine? 1981 Aircooled Reply with quote

Sat down and got to thinking about getting those gears off. Some good heat and a 20$ Harbor Freight puller was the plan, however I have heard some horror stories about destroying that brass gear. So I got to thinking and built a little adapter!

Popped right off! Gear is in perfect shape. Now my adapter/puller combo is going in my kit.

Got to polishing the crank with some high grit sandpaper and shoelace method, can already see the difference.

And now I am officially all disassembled and cleaned up. Crank feels to be in perfect condition even with the fingernail test. Some measurements this week but just waiting on the bearings.

Very excited!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: