Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Custom Heat Riser Location?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JabaDubRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

modok wrote:
yeah, your right it is 5/8 tubes, musta been an extra big lamp i stole it from.

To make flanges, buy big washers, clamp them together, and drill two or three 1/4 holes through them near the edge. CUSTOM flanges!

Can you elaborate on the washer trick a little more I'm trying to picture this in my head but not seeing it.

What I would really like would be to be able to buy the stock style flanges so I can custom fab my own. The exhaust I a planning is a little different and would need 4. I just like the idea of being able to buy gaskets for them from the parts store!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536093
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Pre-Heat-Riser-Block-Off-Kit-Pair-2501-p/2501.htm

and drill a hole in the middle.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JabaDubRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
buy

http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Pre-Heat-Riser-Block-Off-Kit-Pair-2501-p/2501.htm

and drill a hole in the middle.

cool thanks John!

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536093
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Axitech
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got back from installing heat risers on the rail. I was unsure if I could weld to the pipe on the Tri-Mil so I didn't want to take a chance and screw up a perfectly good exhaust. I figured, mount it at the tailpipe and if you screw it up, you can cut it off and it won't look horrible. Besides, at that point, I get hot exhaust from all four cylinders, positive pressure flow, and I can just dump the other side out the back because it's already muffled. Pics of the work. I used cutoff pieces from an old single port manifold and a couple pieces of 5/8" .120 wall tubing.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I still want to get a gasket in the flange connection (didn't have one). And I want to wrap the supply side with insulation to keep it as hot as possible into the manifold. Preliminary results: idling in the driveway. Yesterday, icing evident on side of manifold, Today. manifold is cool to the touch, but no ice at all. I will get some road test results hopefully after dinner. The pic of the pipe next to the oil filter is the 'exhaust' side of the heat riser circuit. it looked so cute, puffing little steam as it was warming up, just like it's Daddy on the other side! Bwahahahahaaa
He said to them, “But now if you have a purse, take it, and also a bag; and if you don’t have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one. Luke 22:36

The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.-Thomas Jefferson
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JT Bryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Heat Riser Location? Reply with quote

my take on fixing the problem..

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Maxdog2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2015 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Heat Riser Location? Reply with quote

I know this is an old thread, but a read a lot to learn new things. One question I have is do you drill a hole in the collector and then weld your tube or just weld the tube to the collector?

Thanks,

David
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkyes wrote:
do you just weld it into place? lots of the pictures show special flanges.

this is most similar to my muffler, where should I weld it into place? Am I correct, that I should move the left side(as you look from the back) not the right?

I am in the process of adding a heat riser to my hotdog muffler. You will not be able to route the negative pressure side out the peashooter like stock, the internal piping is too large.

I connected mine to the junction of cylinder 1&2. I am currently rebending the tubing. I took the shortest route and it block the heat exchanger inlet. Copious amounts of rum may be the culprit for that oversight.
Agent47
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Heat Riser Location? Reply with quote

Maxdog2 wrote:
I know this is an old thread, but a read a lot to learn new things. One question I have is do you drill a hole in the collector and then weld your tube or just weld the tube to the collector?

Thanks,

David

David I am sure you have since answered this question or given up. You need to drill a hole first. The objective is to add a negative pressure side to the heat riser circuit. Up by the heads you produce positive pressure; meaning the pressure is pushing. when you travel downstream to the collector the exhaust gasses as coming together and traveling out the tail pipe, this creates a siphon to any tubes added their (negative pressure). I do apologize if this sounds condescending I just know when I read through forums I am looking for the guy to explain everything to me like i am dumb.

In summary adding the positve and negative pressure sides of the exhaust to the heat riser circuit will create an exhaust gas flow to generate heat like stock.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Heat Riser Location? Reply with quote

Where you re-locate the other end of the heat riser is not a big deal.

Believe it or not, anywhere BUT the opposite exhaust pipe will work better.
Krochus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Heat Riser Location? Reply with quote

At one time I tried pulling exhaust out of the #4 and dumping it to the lowest pressure area possible the atmosphere with a lawnmower muffler

Did not work at all

Without scavenging there is no point in heat risers. The aftermarket exhaust where the riser just goes between 2 & 4 are less than useless
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Heat Riser Location? Reply with quote

me too. I think it worked, exhaust definitely came out.... but it flows both ways, so pulls in cold air.
walter kandetzki
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Heat Riser Location? Reply with quote

Old thread but do I need to use 5/8 or 1/2 tubing?about to do this to my old bug pack header that’s going on my superbug with stock 34pict carb.thanks
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2022 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Heat Riser Location? Reply with quote

Bigger is always better, but when done right it moves so much exhaust gas size doesn't make a big difference, it still gets super hot where it matters.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Heat Riser Location? Reply with quote

Does this cheap exhaust system have the correct, positive pressure flowing down to the negative side to get enough heat in the stock intake manifold?

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2022 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Custom Heat Riser Location? Reply with quote

Maybe yes, It's plausible that it could.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Custom Heat Riser Location? Reply with quote

Good thread!

I have no idea why it didn't show up when I did a search prior to starting my thread on this subject. There is one thing missing here though and that is the follow up data. All these ideas are great but without follow up temperature readings on the intake manifold it is all just theory.

Can we get some real data from you fellows please? At this point it all ends in the "It's working great" black hole of knowledge. Ya it works great but... what is great? Give us the temps PLEASE??!!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: