Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

my "new" car
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
70IowaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 6:12 am    Post subject: my "new" car Reply with quote

I was in the right place......kind of. I ended up with a 1984 VW Rabbit Convert with 110k on the clock. This care was driven by a little old lady (yes, it is true. It was my mother-in-law's first cousin). This car has been garage kept since new, and well taken care of. I have all the paperwork from when it was imported into the US under the Tourist program (whatever that was). I know what ship it came over on and the day it was to arrive etc. The car has the original rubber floor mats in it. I offered her $3,500 for it, but she wouldn't take it. Ended up at $1,500.00. I think I made out ok. She will be parked next to my '70 bug. The first 4 photos are after it had a 2 hour scrubbing interior and exterior. It will need more. About the only thing I have to do is to fix the glove box door finish. the vinyl covering is coming loose. I have to figure out how to take off the lid, so I can fix it. I suppose, I'll put new tires on it. They are 20 years old.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

2014 Chrysler 300; awd; 3.6 v6
2006 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD
2005 Buick LeSabre Custom
1970 Standard Beetle
1962 VW Dune Buggy
2020 Keystone Bullet 291RLS
Kubota bx2350
vwjunkie3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2022 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: my "new" car Reply with quote

Nice looking convertible!!
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: my "new" car Reply with quote

Nice to see all-original Rabbit 'verts still running around. Cool
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: my "new" car Reply with quote

Its in great shape. The vinyl on my glove box door is goofed as well, and a prior somebody glued a chrome plastic strip onto it to hold it down, which I have now covered with a strip of black electrical tape Rolling Eyes to cut the glare.

I've had the dash out and in. The glove box door comes out by removing the screws at the hinge up inside the box. There is a spring on the right side of the door that goes down into a crack in the dash and is supposed to attach to something. I do not know what the trick is to releasing that spring down inside the dash as mine was already pulled out of place and disconnected down in there. That's how it remains today. I just have to hold it up when I open it. So you will have to research or figure out the spring part.

Enjoy that convertible. Very Happy
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
volksworld
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2022 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: my "new" car Reply with quote

my 87 quantum was one of those...you went to europe on vacation (not me, the original owner) bought the car, drove it all over, then had it shipped home when you left...yes change the tires immediately
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: my "new" car Reply with quote

I am very envious of your good fortune! Very nice car in beautiful condition!
70IowaBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: my "new" car Reply with quote

volksworld wrote:
my 87 quantum was one of those...you went to europe on vacation (not me, the original owner) bought the car, drove it all over, then had it shipped home when you left...yes change the tires immediately

I also had a Quantum. Great car except for the window mechanisms. They sucked.
2014 Chrysler 300; awd; 3.6 v6
2006 Ford Freestyle SEL AWD
2005 Buick LeSabre Custom
1970 Standard Beetle
1962 VW Dune Buggy
2020 Keystone Bullet 291RLS
Kubota bx2350
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: