Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Steering issues need advice
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADIDAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 10:36 am    Post subject: Steering issues need advice Reply with quote

I've got a fiberglass Manx copy Dune buggy. When driving on a straight line the front end appears to float side to side. The vehicle will float side to side. The steering wheel has about 2 inches of free play before the front wheels start to turn side to side. There is also a clicking noise coming from the steering box. Is the steering box worn out or can it be adjusted? This feels different from a front end alignment problem but I could be wrong. SEE PICTURE
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Q-Dog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering issues need advice Reply with quote

Impossible to diagnose from a still image. BUT, It is very easy to get under there, wiggle the steering shaft side to side and see where the free play is. It could be worn tie rod ends, loose steering box, worn rag (flexible) joint. Someone needs to do an actual inspection. Any alignment shop could inspect the front end parts if you don't understand what to do.

The steering box can be adjusted a little.

Speaking of rag joint ... your's looks to be in some stress. In the photo it looks like the steering shaft and steering box are not in line with each other. It could also just be an optical illusion from the camera.

'69 Dune Buggy
'69 Beetle Convertible
'70 Beetle
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering issues need advice Reply with quote

Yes that coupler (rag joint) looks about ready to fail. I would start there!
ADIDAS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Steering issues need advice Reply with quote

I took a closer look at the flexible rag joint and it does have alot of cracks in it. I think I'll start there. Thanks for the advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vpogv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering issues need advice Reply with quote

One more thought - I'd also suggest re-greasing the box if it's been a while/ don't know when it's been done.
joemama
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Steering issues need advice Reply with quote

When you replace the steering coupler, make sure you dont use a urethane one. They are typically sold in red, and as heavy duty, but they crack and fall apart. Luckily mine failed while pushing my buggy around on the driveway. Look for a real "rag joint" with layers of material inside to keep in one piece if cracked.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: