Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jims 1954
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:

My old 4/54 Single Cab had these SWF # AL 143.001.1 ones:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

those sure do look like the ones i have.

thanks for the help guys!

i finally got my garage electrical issues sorted out. gonna be spending a bit more time out there over the next couple weeks.

janerick3 wrote:

Unlike sedans, which had color-coordinated semaphores, these semaphores should remain black.

interesting. someone primed these. they did a really sloppy job too.
Kb65single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

After you responded I checked out both of your builds. Your SC will take a while after you hopefully get a cab. The beetle is very cool. Unfortunately, you have two vehicles that the money for the parts is getting crazy stupid. Good that you have a stash of parts to choose from. I love the stories behind the cars they are special. I too treat this addiction as a hobby, and you are wise to not make it job like you've stated. Good luck on the quest and keep it fun.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Kb65single wrote:
After you responded I checked out both of your builds. Your SC will take a while after you hopefully get a cab. The beetle is very cool. Unfortunately, you have two vehicles that the money for the parts is getting crazy stupid. Good that you have a stash of parts to choose from. I love the stories behind the cars they are special. I too treat this addiction as a hobby, and you are wise to not make it job like you've stated. Good luck on the quest and keep it fun.

thanks for stopping by!

im excited to be working on both of them. i feel lucky to be starting with lots of parts. its quite educational trying to figure out what is what. a lot of them i wont end up using so i will also be able to sell/trade those to help fund the builds.

just this week i got a lead on a fun piece that im pretty excited about. i dont wnat to count my chickens before they hatch, so i wont post details till it is in my hand or the deal falls through.

im making progress. some days its just sweeping the floor or reading some samba posts but every step forward is a step closer to being able to drive these things around.
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2022 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Keep grinding I know the feeling!! Applause Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

got some more pictures from Brian today. he told me it was alright with him if i posted them. here are some of my favorites from the bunch.

i like the "at your service" logo on the nose. i cant believe how nice the cab was.

i got some info that allowed me to track down the hot vws magazine that covered the pink bus. i found a copy for $3 on ebay so i should have that pretty soon.
bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 1:31 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Great photos. It’s so good to have some history of the car and especially the photos
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

here are some more pics from Brian.

everyone wants to climb into the tool compartment.

doglegs were pretty rotten even before it got hacked up

here is another nice cab pic. no surprise that there was demand for this part.

corbet painting co. logo above the back window

the cab floor was better than most of the vws ive been in in my life.

ive taken this exact picture and it looks mostly unchanged.

dip switch chillin

looks like the heater knob has been white for a long time. the choke is black here but white in the cab floor image. early on in this thread everett noted that they are usually black. i wonder what happened there.

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2022 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

I got some info on the edition of hot vws that covered the "double deluxe" that used the roof from this truck. thanks type4split for helping me out with that! i found a copy for cheap and get to add it to my packet of info about the truck.

the truck and dan get mentioned early in the article and everett gets a special thanks for his website at the end.

the classifieds are pretty fun.
1952 hubcaps - $5.95
1954 heater control knob - $7.95
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2022 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

the hunt for parts has been ongoing. recently i picked up some dip switeches from France. The previous owner had some cool history to share. thanks Michael!

here are the switches. they will be fun to take apart and play around with even if i dont end up with anything functional.

this is the bus that the beige one on the right came out of. 1952 Microbus.

this is a MoDo Swedish 1955. it is where the center switch came from. found by bjorn svanberg in Sweden.

this is the TomTom Deluxe 1954. the switch on the left came out of this bus. according to the owner the switch worked when it was removed. this bus was restored by Kustom Coach Werks. they are the shop responsible for the pink deluxe double door that got the roof of the truck. small world. using this one is my preference. its the correct year and the tomtom and KCW connections are interesting.

for now the switches are going to go in a bag and then into a box. there is a lot to do before this sort of thing becomes a priority.

i had to share this bit because the history is one of the things i find most appealing about this process.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Great project. Nice parts stash Smile

If you can't find a cab then a barn door nose and later SC back would be a lot easier to find. Believe the cab back is the same except semaphore cutouts. Roof should have the same profile though the middle as bus. Think I have seen a bus nose mated to a SC but was probably a later split. Maybe worth some research.

Best of luck. Will be following along.
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Great project. Nice parts stash Smile

If you can't find a cab then a barn door nose and later SC back would be a lot easier to find. Believe the cab back is the same except semaphore cutouts. Roof should have the same profile though the middle as bus. Think I have seen a bus nose mated to a SC but was probably a later split. Maybe worth some research.

Best of luck. Will be following along.

thanks! i am enjoying your thread. im following along with you and am always happy when i get notifications about updates to your thread.

currently im content to part hunt. im shopping for original stuff that is either really nice or really cheap. nothing like NOS if you want it to work but im not going to be building a concourse car here. im pretty into stuff like those dimmer switches with flavor and history that will require a little bit of elbow grease.

im excited to start building the pickup, but there are a number of things that have to happen first.

first order of business is to figure out what i have so that i can figure out what i need. im making a lot of progress on this step. things like sorting through boxes of 70s beetle headlights dont really warrant an update here but they need to happen before i know what i need to buy.

im also going to prioritize getting the bug running. i have >90% of the parts for that car. the bug doesnt need nearly as much work as the truck. i plan/hope to have it driving by the fall.

after the bug runs if im still looking for a cab i may start to consider things like modifying a later splitty roof or buying something from one of the repop guys. there seem to be enough of those types of parts available that i should be able to get them pretty easily if thats the route i ultimately end up going down.

i think i have found an original barndoor nose. the pictures made it look a bit rough but its probably more solid than the rest of the truck. i dont have it in hand yet so we will see. i gave the guy a deposit and we are working out shipping details. fingers crossed that that deal goes through.

i am also in talks for a nice drivers side A pillar. not a sexy piece but it sure is important. im confident this deal will get completed.

visual progress has been slow but one of these days things will start happening quickly and that is going to be a blast.
nane_cox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

I hope the switches will help. 1952 bus is now restored and in Jerry hands.
All the best to you and the single cab.
Michael
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2022 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

nane_cox wrote:
I hope the switches will help. 1952 bus is now restored and in Jerry hands.
All the best to you and the single cab.
Michael

thank you again! for the info as well as the switches. to me that bit of provenance is the difference between a random used part and a feature worth pointing out to people.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

got the march/april 2022 vintage voice in the mail today. a pic my gf took of the truck and i made it into the magazine. its the classifieds section but we are still published. into the history packet with this one!

this magazine is the newsletter of the vintage volkswagen club of america. its free to join. VVWCA.com.

got a tracking number for that drive side A pillar and it should be here sometime next week.

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

got this in the mail today. drivers side A pillar from brazil. thanks Elias.

this is what the previous owner of the part told me when i asked about the history:

There was a network of VW dealerships made up of 4 stores. 
3 of these stores closed, and all stock was transferred to the store 
that continued to operate. and it was kept there for decades. 
When I found out about this information, I went to this store that was 
in the interior of SP and bought many cool pieces. mostly for Splitscreen and Bug. 
This is already 10 years old.
I would have liked to buy more, unfortunately at that time I didn't have the money for such a large batch.

one of many small steps on the way to getting this thing back to its former glory.

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

got some knobs for the dash from the uk.

Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

i got this thing in the mail the other day. its a nose and dash support rail for the truck. the previous owner didnt have much info in the way of history, but he said he thought it was from a 1952. perfectly matches the trucks rich layers of patination Laughing

the process of getting this thing was arduous. took like 50 emails, 5 months and some moderator assistance to get the seller to ship it. happy to have it and happy i didnt get scammed.

the guy with the roof clip contacted me a bit ago and asked for an offer. i told him what i thought it was worth. i havent heard back. hopefully he counter offers if he thinks my number is too low. we will see.
ddutch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

The headlight hole cleary shows Dove blue, the orginal colour of your truck. It only needs some paint stripping, because there is probably more of it under all that dirty looking paint. I wish you luck with the roofclip.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

havent made any progress here but i did snap some fun pics while moving the thing around. thought it was worth a share.

bally
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2023 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1954 Reply with quote

Nice score on the A pillar and the nose! Anything else to report?

Dave
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9

Jump to: