Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25%
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Salinity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
and doesn't NADA/KBB base their values by using the 'reported' sales values

so if they use an inflated base number that doesn't reflect actual sales prices..

the valuations will only go up..

or i'm not as good at state math as I know I'm not.. Eh?

Yes - among other things such as advertised price. I know there aren't as many out there, but all the $30,000-$50,000 beautiful synchros are likely driving up the NADA retail for us poor 2WD people, because NADA doesn't distinguish between the two.
Lingwendil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
In NY you pay on the value or on a signed bill of sale declaring the actual sales price.

The equivalent form in RI is T -334. If you cheat on this you are a tax cheat.

The Man should have no part in taxation profits on a private transaction between individuals selling used goods to one another. Confused

Modify your Kadrons for SVDA http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8115884#8115884

Cast iron VJU4BR8 SVDA reference thread- https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Need replacement filters for original Kadron aircleaners? WIX #42087 is a perfect fit, as is Napa Gold #2087!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2022 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Lingwendil wrote:
Abscate wrote:
In NY you pay on the value or on a signed bill of sale declaring the actual sales price.

The equivalent form in RI is T -334. If you cheat on this you are a tax cheat.

The Man should have no part in taxation profits on a private transaction between individuals selling used goods to one another. Confused

Every State collects some form of tax or registration fee on car sales, except to us Sovereign Citizens
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Salinity wrote:

This is what I’m grappling with. If it was local, absolutely yes. But it’s not and my acquisition cost, which includes flying out to check out the van in person and (likely) a subsequent cross-country VW van adventure is quite high

You could title it in the state you are buying it in. like if you are flying to California to buy it, you can title and register it there (cheap off a bill of sale or just the amt field) there is no proof of residency requirement etc to do so. If anything you are better off doing it so it really fully in your name for your trip.

When you get home register it (maybe a classic if that's offered) but you don't need to re-title it, you already have a california title in your name. your insurance company won't care either

just a thought. I actually bought a bus the guy didnt have a title but it was able to be titled. he did the paperwork with a title agent, they applied for a title in my name, took the bus in for a vin inspection, California title was mailed to me in TX (taxs fees etc apply but I was not even there in person)

anyways - thats what I think I would do. PM me if you have any questions
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

This is a bit NY blunt and not directed at anyone but if $1000 will chamge a deal for you, you can’t afford a vintage toy. $10,000 is more the quantum of solace.

You can get stuck with a $1000 unforeseen repair in way too many ways to count.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Erik G wrote:

When you get home register it (maybe a classic if that's offered) but you don't need to re-title it, you already have a california title in your name. your insurance company won't care either

except that isn't how it works in RI

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Erik G wrote:

True, the title, registration, insurance, all addresses have to agree with each other around here. The insurance company is also going to ask for the principle address where the vehicle resides. I imagine that they will quickly deny any type of claim if there is B.S. going on.
Bonesberg55
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Simply put, this is how the new math works. Confused Confused Confused Confused
Salinity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 04, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
This is a bit NY blunt and not directed at anyone but if $1000 will chamge a deal for you, you can’t afford a vintage toy. $10,000 is more the quantum of solace.

Or, as what very well may happen, a $2500 tow to RI...
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
Erik G wrote:

True, the title, registration, insurance, all addresses have to agree with each other around here. The insurance company is also going to ask for the principle address where the vehicle resides. I imagine that they will quickly deny any type of claim if there is B.S. going on.

sounds like it varies state to state. it happens all the time with modern cars where the title may be held by a bank in another state. I can see insurance, registration, the address on a title might have to match but for sure I have had California titles with a Texas address Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Erik G
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2022 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:

to a point, yes. suck it up and pay, and a portion is tax deductable come next year.
Salinity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Update: I filled out all the paperwork but it didn't matter - the book value was $12,550 and so I was charged $878 sales tax.

I'm looking into getting an appraisal (need a certified RI car dealer) so I can file an appeal, though not being able to drive very far is a severe limitation. I tried the dodgy used car dealer up the road but they didn't want to do it.

If I have to spend a good chunk to get it appraised, it may be diminishing returns depending on valuation. And then there's the added risk that my appeal is denied. Suppose it's better than a $16,000 blue book!

Abscate wrote:

The amount isn't really the point (though it stings) - it's the injustice of charging sales tax using a ridiculous valuation.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

If it’s truly a sales tax it should be on the transaction Amount, agreed
Salinity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Abscate wrote:
If it’s truly a sales tax it should be on the transaction Amount, agreed

Honestly, I have more of a beef with NADA than RI. Although sales tax on a used good is BS in a lot of ways, I get trying to mitigate the $1 used car sale. However, no 85 2WD tintops in average condition are selling for $13k. None.
Salinity
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Welp - thus far the only person willing to do an appraisal quoted me $270. This means the appraised value would have to comes in at $8,700 just to break even (assuming it is accepted - a big caveat). Even if it's down close to what I paid, I'm only looking at netting around $200 (again, assuming the appraised value is accepted). So probably not worth it.

I might end up eating this one unless I can find someone to do an appraisal for much less.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Salinity wrote:
Welp - thus far the only person willing to do an appraisal quoted me $270. This means the appraised value would have to comes in at $8,700 just to break even (assuming it is accepted - a big caveat). Even if it's down close to what I paid, I'm only looking at netting around $200 (again, assuming the appraised value is accepted). So probably not worth it.

I might end up eating this one unless I can find someone to do an appraisal for much less.

Ill do it for $269 but I have to charge NY sales tax on it too.

I think forget it, move on,and enjoy your Bus!!
APPLEGREENVW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Salinity wrote:

Keep looking for someone who can do the appraisal for less. Many years ago I had the same issue with RI, with a Toyota truck. I think cost me $50 for appraisal.

02/76 Beetle sedan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Quote:
Keep looking for someone who can do the appraisal for less. Many years ago I had the same issue with RI, with a Toyota truck. I think cost me $50 for appraisal.

I think you will be hard pressed to find someone to get out of bed for $50
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
Quote:

I think you will be hard pressed to find someone to get out of bed for $50

Stop, Xevin. Do not post.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
my59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sales tax on private sale (RI) - how 7% becomes 25% Reply with quote

Omg, this is still being kicked around? Pay the tab and figure out another way to mess with the system. How much is hot air worth??
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: