Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My Fastback resurrection: A work in progress
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Russ Wolfe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
jim altemus wrote:

Can't wait to get to Terryville tomorrow. What are the chances I'll find a new washer fluid reservoir?

Jim

If not, contact Russ, he's probably got a couple sitting around at his place. Very Happy

I have an NOS one in the classifieds right now.

Gary: OK. Ima poop.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jim altemus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Russ Wolfe wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
jim altemus wrote:

Can't wait to get to Terryville tomorrow. What are the chances I'll find a new washer fluid reservoir?

Jim

If not, contact Russ, he's probably got a couple sitting around at his place. Very Happy

I have an NOS one in the classifieds right now.

I'll keep you guys in mind. The only problem with the bottle I have is the stud pulled out.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jim altemus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim altemus wrote:

I'll keep you guys in mind. The only problem with the bottle I have is the stud pulled out.

Jim

No washer bottles at Terryville (or much else for Type 3 parts for that matter) so I got creative. I took my propane torch, heated up/melted the plastic inside the lug on the bottle and pushed the metal stud in.

I just tested the system. The bottle holds pressure but now I have a leak under the dash from the switch or the hose from the tank where it connects to the switch. Since I don't yet have a spare tire that fits in the well this isn't that big a priority right now.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jim altemus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

As we get to the end of the driving season here in Connecticut, I'm enjoying taking the car out for the occasional drive. With the rear wheels and tires installed I'm declaring, with a few caveats, the mechanical portion of the project complete.

The Caveats:
1. It is leaking both engine and gearbox oil. The gearbox oil is pretty obvious, it is coming from the side plates. The engine oil leak is a bit trickier. I can't find an obvious source. I just replaced the mangled washers that seal the oil pressure sensor block to the oil cooler and while it helped it hasn't solved the problem. All I can see is some oil droplets on the bottom of the sump. This is a bit of a bummer because the motor is basically new and since my engine builder passed away this year I don't have someone to bring it back to.

2. Changing from the merged header to j-tubes, the ISP exhaust and installing the sled tins didn't do much to much to cool the motor down. There are so many variables here, but I'm not 100% sure the motor is overheating. Because I know Russ will ask, I have:

a. All the tin with the exception of the mustache tins around the plug wires (with the Weber intakes there isn't that much room to install those). I also haven't filled in the gaps that the heaterboxes would fill on the sides of the sleds.

b. No thermostat. I have all the parts to install it the next time I pull the motor. My experience with watercooled cars tells me that the thermostat helps speed up engine warm up but doesn't do much to help control the ultimate maximum temperature.

3. After taking the car for a long ride yesterday I found that the tires rub ever so slightly on the rear quarter panels. I have a set of original brake drums sitting in my garage. I noticed that the mounting surface on the OEM drums are a good 1/8" thinner than the repop drums I installed. The rub is so slight I think that 1/8" will make the difference; if the drums are within spec after being turned.

---

Next up I think will be the interior, mainly because it is something I can do myself. This probably won't happen until Spring, thanks to my unheated garage. I need to pull out the windows, install a headliner then put the windows back in (with the chrome trim this time). I'm looking at Corbeau Moab seats to replace the one racing seat and I have the rear seat upholstery kit to complete the black interior.

I'd like to get the car painted, but that will have to be the last step in the process.

Jim
DONGKG
The Araneta Boys

Location: Cainta, Rizal, Philippines, "A Certified Type 3 and Karmann Ghia Maniac"

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure lots of works you did there, buddy. It is a good thing that you know how to address those issues on your Fasty. And I can truly say that your fasty is in good hands by the way you remedy those problems... Pretty cool, buddy... By the way, cool fasty you've got there...
'67 Splitty Bus
'65 beetle;'69 Country Buggy; '44 Kubelwagen (replica) TOOB MEMBER #20
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jim altemus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Link

Thanks. It is getting there, slowly but surely. To celebrate the impending end of the driving season I decided to try out one of my new camera mounts for a quick ride around the block. I really think a headliner (and probably some dynamat) will get rid of some of the tin can sound, as well as installing a seal on the engine cover. Just add them to the to-do list.

Jim
pitargue
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim altemus wrote:
Hmm... It definitely wasn't past the door seal, as the water was coming out of the footwell duct on the passenger side. I'll do some poking around.

Jim

12 years later. Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue and it's driving me crazy trying to find out where the water is coming from. It's definitely in the footwell heater channel.

Maybe the windshield rubber is leaking?
Ossipon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitargue wrote:
jim altemus wrote:
Hmm... It definitely wasn't past the door seal, as the water was coming out of the footwell duct on the passenger side. I'll do some poking around.

Jim

12 years later. Did you ever figure this out? I have the same issue and it's driving me crazy trying to find out where the water is coming from. It's definitely in the footwell heater channel.

Having just finished working on that area and the front inner fender, I have lots of things for you to check. First, what year is your Type 3?
Here are five areas I could tell that water could get into the footwell duct.
1. Joining point of where the fender and door and inner fender. If you take off the front fender and look down by the rocker panels, there can be corrosion and holes that could allow entry by following the fender joins and if the plastic ribbing has poor seal between fender and body.
2. If you have a sunroof, the drain tubes can break down on the down line and leak and it can follow the path right to the duct
3. If your body pan seal between frame and body is not good or corrosion compromised, it can get in that way.
4. Door seals that are not allowing the tight seal with allow water to get under the aluminum door sill.
5. The rocker panel mating to the heater channel if corroded can allow penetration as well.
My recommendation to find the leak is to plan and use a precise tight flow spigot on a hose and point it at the locations I suggested. Then check by keeping the passenger door closed and seeing which causes the leak.
It could be the door window seals as well. But mine was a combination of #1 and #4
Best of luck
Type 1 - 59, 62, 63, 71 Super 68 KGhia/ Type 2 - 59 Single Cab / Type 3 - 64 Notch
Water
GTI 83, Jetta 81, 85, 87, 91 TDI, 98 TDI, 09 / New Beetle 99 / SportWagen 05, 13 / Tiguan 18 / T3 92
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pitargue wrote:
jim altemus wrote:

Jim

If I remember right, Jim sold that car a few years ago.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: