Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Time to get mine back on the road
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:09 pm    Post subject: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

Happy Fathers Day to me. Been working on the garage getting it ready to work out there. Been cleaning and building and painting for a month now.
No excuses to not drop the engine and get it running again. I'd like to have it running by the Haynes Apperson festival, but that might be pushing it. That is less than 2 weeks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

Pushrod tubes will be here Tuesday, so time to get busy

Click to view image
mj2k
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

Nice and shiny Smile
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

Got the engine out today and ready to remove the existing pistons. I know the compression is bad on all 4 so that's getting updated.
I think I found my oil issue. There's a stud and nut inside the plenum holding the intake to the block. I had this happen once before. That stud pulls out, goes down the intake tube and floats around in the head. It doesn't do damage, but it causes issues with oil burning and a vacuum issue.
It's going back in with red loctite, I am not messing with it again.
Maybe by this weekend I will have it ready to go back in.
Wish me luck.
Kevin

Click to view image
plotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

Good Luck!!
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

I forgot how involved it is to strip the engine down. Tomorrow the rocker assembly comes off and the heads get removed. Hopefully there's not issues.
Broke 1 exhaust stuff off but it's got 1/2" exposed so I'll soak that before trying to remove.

Click to view image
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

Keep up the good work. Maybe share some pictures of your progress?
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
Broke 1 exhaust stuff off but it's got 1/2" exposed so I'll soak that before trying to remove.

Why I use the brass nuts with same thread which take an 11mm wrench....
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

Thanks Cusser. I'll look for some when I am at the hardware store this week.

Here's the offending stud that keeps falling out:

Broken exhaust stud:

Pistons are oil soaked:

Got the pushrod tubes. Ordered the engine gasket kit and it will be here Thursday. It should start going back together this weekend.

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

Wow, that exhaust stud was a real pain. I didn't think it was coming out.
We welded a nut on 3 times and it just spun off.
We ended up sticking the stud in a vice in the center so the jaw threads could bite.My buddy watched the stud, I twisted it back and forth slowly and finally got it to break loose. We had to reset itin the vice about 6 times to get it out enough that we could finish it by sticking it in the end of the vice and turning the whole head.
I was resigned to sending it to a machine shop but we got it. A parts store here has the studs in stock and I am definitely switching to brass nuts when going back together.

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

While it's apart, doing a little leakdown test on the valves. Cylinders 3 & 4 look pretty good so far.

Looks like I should lap the valves on the one cylinder and it should be good to go.

Click to view image
RWK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

Use the green loctite, 300 degree one, on the studs you don't want to come out,
also called sleeve retainer, makes up for bad threads also.
Good luck, Maybe see you at some shows this summer, I'm in southern MI
62 Type 241-378 025 178 530
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

Locktite ordered. Thought I tore up a valve guide, but cleaned it up and it looks good.
Got all my parts here, time to start assembly.

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

We are prepped for launch this weekend. Hit it with some Purple Power and start cleaning parts as it comes back together

Click to view image
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:30 am    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

You can do it! Go get it!
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

KKiley wrote:
Thanks Cusser. I'll look for some when I am at the hardware store this week.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/search.php...ton=Search

KKiley wrote:
Here's the offending stud that keeps falling out:

That stud is 8.0mm x 1.25mm thread. This is easier than the exhaust stud work you just did.

1. Did you try to clean the threads real well with brake cleaner and try red Loctite to keep the stud in place?

2. If that didn't work, and if you want to keep the same stud/thread size, you could use a solid threaded insert or even a helicoil. A machine shop could also do such repair.

3. If you don't need to stay metric, you could drill/tap to 3/8 inch and drill the corresponding hole in the generator stand larger (I did just that on a carburetor and intake manifold once). 3/8 inch is smaller than going to 10mm.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

Looking good! You should spend the day cleaning everything really well. You, “Jimbo, I already cleaned everything.” Yep, sure you did, but when assembling an engine, there is never clean enough. Ask me how I know.

So, clean the work bench, the stand, the floor (gravity will utilize its strength a few times!), the tools and the parts. Use paper towels, not linen products. Paper breaks down inside the engine, linen does not.

Clean the piston sleeves and pistons, remove the rings, clean the grooves and the rings. You would be amazed at the number of times I found crap in the grooves, on brand new sets! Then assemble those cylinders and pistons. Install the rings onto the pistons, get the rings clocked correctly and oil them up. Then use a ring compressor and compress the rings. Place the assembly onto the top of the cylinder, at the head side of the sleeve, then push the piston through to the case side with the wrist pin being barely able to slide in. Go ahead and install the wrist pin retainer at the inside (barrel to barrel) side. Then oil up the wrist pin. Do not install it till after you silicon the base of the barrel. Then install the wrist pin, immediately install the barrel into its position, slide the wrist pin into place and install the second retainer. Then push the barrel home!

The rest is straight forward. Just remember to clean everything. And tape up those openings when you are not around. You can do it!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

You be proud Jimbo, I get to enjoy the fruits of the work I did and have a kick ass work area now. It is so nice to spread out and work.

I have the cleanest work surface and area to work in now.
So, today cylinders 1&2 are prepped and ready to go back together.
Ring gaps were checked on the cylinders, everything cleaned, piston's installed on the rods.

I should be able to make a good push tomorrow. My goal is to have it running next weekend.
Wish me luck
Kevin

Click to view image
KKiley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

I do have a question. I always seem to have oil behind the timing pulley. I don't know if they wear out or if they go bad.
If I stop that oil, the engine should be nice and dry.
Should I just order a new one?
With a sand seal?

Click to view image
78BusGA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2022 12:41 am    Post subject: Re: Time to get mine back on the road Reply with quote

Do dog hairs dissolve inside the engine? That headless dog there might... I don't know! That's very spooky!

Nice workstation yes! I need to get mine cleaned off and functional too.

Tom H.

My '74 Super 1303 thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=764902&start=60

My '78 Kombi Bus thread - https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=769385&highlight=

'72 Superbeetle (retired), '78 Bus Kombi 2.0FI, '74 1303 Superbeetle
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: