Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

F@#$ a vent window!!!!
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

Ugh I am sooo fed up with my vent window install!!!🤬
Putting my windows back in after the car has been painted. Damn.
I installed all new rubbers and trim around the doors. It’s such a tedious job to do without scratching anything. Of course the locks were broke so I had to drill out the old rivets and install new ones. After all of that and the new felt channels and whatnot and the windows still don’t close and roll up easily.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
jitbba
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

Yeah when it’s new it’s really tight. Try some talc powder in the felt channels. It’ll help
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

That's half the reason I put new rubber in my doors and windows before ever thinking of a repaint, just for the experience! Glad I did now and you have reinforced that idea.

That's also why I went with the more value priced aka cheaper route in selecting the Brazilian vs German rubber.

I'm sure the immigrant factory workers who assembled the doors from 65-67 were skilled and well taught in the best practices, just wish those were published!

I had originals for comparison and know for certain the window felt that WW sells (and I'd imagine everyone else) has a larger cross section and thickness. No doubt it's because they took it off the shelf from some old vendor that still makes it for 49 Ramblers, but when you put it in a VW it's so much oversize it makes the windows hard to roll up/down putting undue strain on the regulators!

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

Yeah, I cleaned the regulators really well. They work like a champ.
Much of the rubbers “overlap” each other also.
Like the top of the vent windows....there is the rubber for the vent glass to close on and then there is the rubber from the channel. Which one do I keep and which do I cut? There is too much rubber!!
I’m a bit of a perfectionist. 5 hours on one door and I’m not happy. Wasted another day😡
Kinda bummed out.
1776cc, CB crank, CB 2241 cam, CB light lifters, CB H-beam rods, CB light flywheel, Mahle forged pistons, A1 Sidewinder exhaust, Dellorto drla 40’s, Hoover modded case, fully balanced, fully flowed, heads by www.type-emotorsports.com, Air ride suspension by https://www.airkewld.com/?Click=3989
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

Talcum powder also goes on the new window rubbers. Or they'll grab onto the glass.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

67 Sunroof wrote:
...Much of the rubbers “overlap” each other also...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here is how my outer scrappers looked once installed.

I waited a week to let them shrink then trimmed the ends flush with the division bar.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
zabo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

doing the vent windows on my 60 right now so its a slightly different process. got one side done so far.

It goes up there with changing rear wheel bearing as my most hated jobs.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hewica8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

I am going through the same thing as well right now. Fully rebuilt my doors with a kit from CIP1 and the roll-up glass was incredibly tight. I pulled it all back apart and realized the felts were Brazilian. I usually don't have anything against the Brazilian parts, but these were crap. I ordered some German felts and they are much better, but still tight. I can at least roll the window up and down now, and I'm hoping they loosen up over time. I'm holding out on reinstalling my door cards until I know for sure the windows are going to function properly without destroying my regulators.
ZEKE65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

I have to agree with everyone here about the windows. When I got my car, the first thing I tried to get done was rebuilding the drivers door. I put new vent glass assemblies, new wipers and window tracks, the whole nine yards. Took me about four times putting the vent glass in and taking it back out before I got it to where I thought it was right. The glass was so tight in the tracks that even while I was helping the glass up with my left hand I striped out the new regulator trying to roll the window up. I decided to put the door rebuilds off to last now, after I have done everything else to the car. What a pain in the arear. Pulled the body off, complete frame rebuild, everything else is simple in comparison. I plan to look into the cheaper track being looser thing, and will try the talcum powder next time.
67 Sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

Yeah I did the same. Full body off restoration. Everything else was easy compared to this shit. The rear axle tubes were a pain in the butt from what I remember and the headliner was a bit of a pain too...
I just had to vent and I’m glad you guys are on my side with this job. Haha
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

jitbba wrote:
when it’s new it’s really tight

This is good stuff.
5% Off your order with coupon code: 5%OFF
Restored Distributors Available (<--Click here)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

65+ are easy compared to earlier models...try installing the inner scraper on an early door and get back with me Laughing

It is not a fun job either way, so I am just jerking your chain...what makes it more humiliating is thinking about all the old ladies in the VW factory who did it everyday with ease
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Busstom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

61SNRF wrote:
That's half the reason I put new rubber in my doors and windows before ever thinking of a repaint, just for the experience! Glad I did now and you have reinforced that idea.

I'm taking that as advice right to the bank. Thanks!
napgonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

txoval wrote:
65+ are easy compared to earlier models...try installing the inner scraper on an early door and get back with me Laughing

It is not a fun job either way, so I am just jerking your chain...what makes it more humiliating is thinking about all the old ladies in the VW factory who did it everyday with ease

i had such a hard time putting the inner scrapers. I think it don't look right Laughing

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wheel607
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

And, unless you have the good luck to find and use VW NOS pieces, it is hard to install this CRAP without denting it. The oe VW is much, much thicker than this stuff. I have installed both. I have taken all the time in the world. Still, I put dents in the stuff Wolfsburg West sells. And just a note, I have seen new VWs from the 1960s with rubber beyond the divider bars....just sayin.
rcooled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

napgonz wrote:
I think it don't look right...

Those probably need to be turned around. The side that's now facing up should be against the glass.

And put some talcum powder on those new scrapers so they don't stick to the glass and roll down into the door when lowering the window. The stickiness will go away after a while.
'69.5 Ghia convertible and
'62, '63, '65, '69 Bugs (all long gone)
txoval
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

The wire is not all the way in the hole. You need a long flat head (thin). Once the wire starts going into the hole, pull it through from the underside with the long flat head.

Those wires are a pain
napgonz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: F@#$ a vent window!!!! Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

will check that the scrapper wires are in all the way.

so far this is how it's looking. I installed the 1st vent window.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9882413&highlight=#9882413
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: