Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?)
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 7:53 pm    Post subject: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

First.....details.....

'56 ragtop
2085cc (78.4 x 92 thickwall)
SLR XR292 cam
Scat 1.25 (1.33 actual) rockers
.520 lift at valve, roughly 292 duration (253 @ .050)
Brothers VW heads with some Alstrup influence
40 x 35.5 mini D-port 56cc chambers
9:1 CR
1-5/8" A1 sidewinder w/ muffler
Redline 44 IDF's (55 idles, 160 mains, 200 airs F11 emulsion tubes 36mm vents)
Magnaspark2
900 ft above sea level
(all parts are new)

Second.....problem...

Driving around town she runs mostly well, except in infamous "transition"
Approx 2,500rpm (or so)
Hesitation/stutter less pronounced when cold, moreso when warmed up
Most noticeable in 2nd gear
Possibly acc pump, except holding at higher (3,000?) rpm can mimic the stutter too....but not always.
If I just run 5% throttle and never go over 2,000rpm, she drives like a finely tuned 40 horse.

50 idles (too lean)
52 idles (too lean)
55 idles (work)....where I'm at now with 1-1/4 turn out on mixture screws
57 idles (work too)
60 idles (too fat)

Interestingly all mains seem to work well enough from 145 up to 160
Same for airs.......175 up to 200 don't much matter unless I run too close together (like 160 mains and 175 airs)

Stock redline linkage is geometrically proper and synched to near perfection.
3 progression holes visible from velocity stack (i.e. 4th covered by butterfly and not cheating so appropo per Redline's suggestions)

MUCH thanks to Alstrup who I've exchanged many conversations with. He thinks I'm still a little rich on idle (though I know 52's just pop like popcorn) but likes my main stack.

John @ Redline thinks I'm too lean on idle and thinks I'm too fat on main stack. (I should be at 145 or even 140 mains)

Sera (YT: Motor7710) knows my pain....(If you see this Sera, cheers!)

Any thoughts, suggestions much appreciated. (I'll share more of my future ideas as the thread progresses)

Last edited by RandyV on Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

Get a wideband / o2 sensor setup.

What’s your ignition? Elevation?

55 idles sound okay - I’d say 140 or 145 mains. I have a similar-ish combo and those jets / vents are what I’m running
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

stevemariott wrote:
Get a wideband / o2 sensor setup.

What’s your ignition? Elevation?

55 idles sound okay - I’d say 140 or 145 mains. I have a similar-ish combo and those jets / vents are what I’m running

Steve,

Edited OP to answer. (Magnaspark2 & roughly 1,000 feet)

I see you run a manx & similar combo. Driving around town, any 44 IDF misbehavior in there you can speak to?? Or is yours smooth all around?

Thx
Zed999
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:14 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

I don't have the experience of some of the chaps on here but I'd say your venturi's are unnecessarily large for the cc's and revs your cam is capable of and there's your flat spot - the relatively small cc's / cam combo isn't producing enough air speed at transition with the large venturi size. Also you aren't getting any good from them at the top end. I'd bump right down to 32 or even 30.

My ref here is a 2020cc with a C35 and 40x35 (in a bus) that revved the nuts off (6,000+) with 30 vents and certainly was not choked by the venturis.

I would tune out the flat spot with venturi size or emulsions (though I know nothing about Weber emulsions).
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

Id put in larger airs to make the mains come in sooner during transition or up the floats slightly.
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

Zed999 wrote:
I don't have the experience of some of the chaps on here but I'd say your venturi's are unnecessarily large for the cc's and revs your cam is capable of and there's your flat spot - the relatively small cc's / cam combo isn't producing enough air speed at transition with the large venturi size. Also you aren't getting any good from them at the top end. I'd bump right down to 32 or even 30.

My ref here is a 2020cc with a C35 and 40x35 (in a bus) that revved the nuts off (6,000+) with 30 vents and certainly was not choked by the venturis.
Let me guess, Empi or DRD heads (?) That happens, but there is not really any power.

I would tune out the flat spot with venturi size or emulsions (though I know nothing about Weber emulsions).

I do agree that often a too large venturi size is chosen. However, if that was the problem here, it could have been masked with more fuel on the main circuit and a hair large idle jet.
Remember, when you are chasing high power numbers with smallish venturies you need rpm to increase the ramming effect. For instance, a vintage 1460 cc street/race engine pulls 144 hp @ 7200 with 28/32 mm venturies. Effective square is 30,1 mm.
Install the same carbs on a 2 liter engine with proportionally the same breathing capabilities and it would flatten out at about 5300 because there is no more air for it and the ramming effect can´t help much because there is not enough rpm. The engine would rev higher, but the power curve will flatten and will get nowhere near the potential of the engine. The calculated venturi size for a real 150ish hp engine like Randy´s based on air requirement versus rpm is 35,1 - 36,5 mm depending on who you want to believe.

While it is not ACVW engines and the carbs used are mainly DCOE´s or vintage British carbs, you may wanna check out Graham @ Penguin Motors videos on the subject. Not all of it can be converted to Boxer engines, but it can give you a good idea.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

I'm definitely not opposed to trying smaller vents, though I have to agree with Alstrup, I don't think 36 vents are the problem here and while they might help, I think there's a couple other things that could be at issue as well.....(the "future" thoughts I mentioned)....

-----------#1.) Sera (Motor7710) has gone to great lengths looking for IDF transitional answers and is still convinced that IDF's are simply just not good daily driver carbs (at least in dual form) here's what I know he's done off the top of my head......

------------------------a.) He's actually drilled the bottom progression hole (the 4 holes above the butterflies) out from .9mm to 1.0mm to match the top progression hole leaving the middle 2 at .9mm....as just ONE piece of the IDF transitional puzzle.

------------------------b.) He's literally soldered up & redrilled F11 emulsion tubes to completely rethink both the size and hole pattern of the main stack's emulsion as the mains pickup after idles.

------------------------c.) He's adjusted the acc pump bypass valve sizing manually to accomplish everything from "zero bypass" to everything in between.

***I must mention here that a lot of REDLINE'S addressing of these problems (like suggesting zero bypass valves, upping idle jet and acc pump nozzles sizes) have come about due to the change in our fuel mixes here in the states. (for the worse!!) So while some of these changes might have been taboo in the 80's they may be spot on now.

------------#2.) I will try another set of carbs soon as one thing I like is 2 of everything to quickly and effectively address a problem. It would probably take an act of God for me to prove to somebody like Redline that their carbs might have a problem but if I swap carbs and the problem goes away....well......
vwracerdave
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

Instead of getting another set of carbs you need to invest in an air/fuel gauge and stop guessing.

My 2007cc with 40X35 044 Magnum heads W-120 cam

44 IDF's 34mm venturies, 52.5i/140m/200a/F11
Featured in Dec. 2001 HOT VW's Magazine page 63

Watch my racing video's http://www.youtube.com/user/okvwracer/videos
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:
Instead of getting another set of carbs you need to invest in an air/fuel gauge and stop guessing.

Remember, I’ve already done that in my fuel delivery thread. And AFR won’t give you the solution to the problem, it will (actually *may*) only SHOW you the problem. As aforementioned I know I can run anywhere in the same range you’ve got (though not your idles as also aforementioned). I was idling 12, WOT 13 and cruising 14-15. That tells me nothing about why the transition is a problem as the numbers would otherwise suggest I’m running fine.

AFR is nice to know….but here it’s just a messenger of what we already know.

If, for example one (or more?) of the passages has cast flashing impeding fuel flow that can never be overcome by cleaning, adjusting, changing jets, etc then anything BUT changing carbs is futile.

(Not suggesting that’s THE problem but I’ve certainly considered it)
Alstrup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

vwracerdave wrote:

An engine like that doesnt need more than 34´s since it will be in the 130-135ish hp range. Plenty for 34´s.
1900 -2100 cc engines usually hit the wall around 130 hp with 32´s and dependant on set up 138-142 hp with 34´s. In a sharp configuration you can pull a little over 150 hp through 34´s, especially in a 44 IDF.
The Italian 68-69 Series (40 mm) can support even more. Like the 40 mm Alfa Dells we have often pulled over 160 hp through these carbs, - still in street trim.
I´m not saying that you can´t pull more hp through a certain size of venturi, but from the given ratings and up the engines have to be somewhat specific to do it.
Slow 1200
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

what are your float heights?
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

Slow 1200 wrote:
what are your float heights?

That is what I recommended above or larger airs. Make the mains come in sooner.
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

Float heights were set at 11mm & 28mm (from 13.5 & 22 from redline as new) when I completely disassembled them & thoroughly cleaned and tediously set everything straight on them.

Larger airs only coincide with larger main to bring mains in sooner. I’m technically there already. I still haven’t tried “new school” (like a 175 main & 220 air) but I just need to get around to finding such large jets. 🧐

Another thought (though wouldn’t solve my situation entirely) is that with stock bypass valves, I definitely don’t have squirt at small hit if the throttle. I know that Sera has played with everything from stock bypass down to modifying his by pushing down to 020 sizing bypass (which he didn’t like) but I definitely don’t have squirt upon immediate depression of throttle.

https://youtu.be/MapoC1cS5Pc

I need to speak to John at redline again but I believe he suggested ZERO bypass and I’m not sure that isn’t overkill with potential for bad results but one way to find out. (There are technically various bypass cutoff sizes too or am an be modified as sera has done by driving the wedge stopper down further to the desired height).

But again this wouldn’t be 100% of my problem because I still have a miss/stutter at fixed throttle position around 2,500-3,000rpm which is more related to one of the circuit flows. (Idle circuit I suspect but just my guess)
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

RandyV wrote:
vwracerdave wrote:

My …

Remember, I’ve already done that in my fuel delivery thread. And AFR won’t give you the solution to the problem, it will (actually *may*) only SHOW you the problem. As aforementioned I know I can run anywhere in the same range you’ve got (though not your idles as also aforementioned). I was idling 12, WOT 13 and cruising 14-15. That tells me nothing about why the transition is a problem as the numbers would otherwise suggest I’m running fine.

AFR is nice to know….but here it’s just a messenger of what we already know.

If, for example one (or more?) of the passages has cast flashing impeding fuel flow that can never be overcome by cleaning, adjusting, changing jets, etc then anything BUT changing carbs is futile.

(Not suggesting that’s THE problem but I’ve certainly considered it)

Dave and i have our differences but he’s right about the AFR gauge.
you said
“50 idles (too lean)
52 idles (too lean)
55 idles (work)....where I'm at now with 1-1/4 turn out on mixture screws
57 idles (work too)
60 idles (too fat) “
But didn’t say how fat or lean in this thread and you can’t expect us to remember or have read your other threads…
You say that it “ stumbles “ at transition at 2500 rpm, if you had a gauge you could monitor that at 2500 rpm to be sure its going lean , some even have histograms. Are you positive the transition is even at 2500? How do you know? My split shaft DCOE pulled from the auxiliary at idle! It was only a drip but at 1500 it was all in.
I don’t believe you said whether or not the stumble happens at light , constant acceleration or it you roll on the throttle or if its WOT?
I’ve been guilty of all this and guilty of making assumptions on going rich or lean and have been way off. I’ve also been guilty of follow the crowd and jacking with things like the emulsion tubes thinking that’lol make all the difference, when they should be one of the last “ fine tuning” things to be altered or changed out.
With the magnaspark 2 you don’t have vacuum advance do you?
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
W1K1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

Quote:
. Remember, I’ve already done that in my fuel delivery thread. And AFR won’t give you the solution to the problem, it will (actually *may*) only SHOW you the problem. As aforementioned I know I can run anywhere in the same range you’ve got (though not your idles as also aforementioned). I was idling 12, WOT 13 and cruising 14-15. That tells me nothing about why the transition is a problem as the numbers would otherwise suggest I’m running fine.

The AFR will show you what is happening at transition if you are logging it, lean/rich like the graph below then you can change jetting and see the results

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1973 super
1965 squareback 1500E
1971 bay window westy- subi swap
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

I am going to throw my support behind Racerdave, W1K1 and others with getting a wideband on there so you can actually see what is happening right at the time and in place. By the sounds of it you have spent more than enough on jets and bits already to have bought a wideband!

I cannot comprehend the mentality that says spend $4000, $5000, $6000 on an engine but don't spend the $300 that it takes for the tool to make it all run right!
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

Airs:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Weber-IDF-IDA-Air-Jet-77401-p/77401.htm

Mains:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Weber-IDF-IDA-Main-Jet-p/73401.htm
RandyV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

While I fully understand the desire for AFR data, in this situation where it misses/stutters, I am 99% sure that all the log will show is a lean spike. (I diagnosed the same before when I had the fuel delivery problem). I can schedule another run on the wideband but I know what we’re gonna see.

It won’t be a rich condition. (We’ve already ruled that out with jetting/plug reading ***AND*** innovate wideband AFR logs).

And when it shows the spike, it also won’t tell you which cylinder is the culprit. (Or if it’s just 1?)

So then what do you do with a spike on the screen? (Remember, any more playing with jets is really just futile as we already know floor/ceiling and outside of that threshold means something is wrong in the carbs and the AFR can’t tell us what that is)

FWIW, I haven’t spent dime 1 on jets yet since I am amongst friends with jets….lots of jets. Thus the literal floor and ceiling knowledge of idles, mains, airs and emulsion tubes.

Also….we do know where 44 IDF’s transition from idle to main circuits based on other’s (Sera) research. And for anyone who doesn’t know, if you ever want to find out, pull your main stack entirely and drive around very slowly climbing in rpm. You’ll find out in short order.

And lastly…yes I did say in this thread…..12 at idle, 13 @ WOT, 14/15 at cruise. No need to read the other thread. We know the jetting threshold.
stevemariott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

RandyV wrote:

Steve,

Edited OP to answer. (Magnaspark2 & roughly 1,000 feet)

I see you run a manx & similar combo. Driving around town, any 44 IDF misbehavior in there you can speak to?? Or is yours smooth all around?

Thx

Honestly, it's pretty good. After reading your post, I looked / felt for any hesitations while driving around yesterday, and I'm happy with how smooth it is. It's no fuel injection, but I have no complaints with it considering the technology and the builder (me).

Unfortunately, I don't have any real suggestions for you.

FWIW, I dug around in my jet stash yesterday and found a set of 54 idles that I purchased from a European seller on Ebay a few years ago. I'm not sure if they really measure any differently than 55s, but it's another variable to consider.
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pursuing Weber 44 IDF Perfection......(Pipe dream?) Reply with quote

OK, if you don't want to spend money on jets and a AFM it is your money.

If you change to larger airs the mains come in sooner and will help with that lean transition. The larger mains will also lean out the upper end and therefore the AFM will come in handy to up the main jets so you are at your target AF ratio at WOT.

If you want to know what is going on in each cylinder you can always add an O2 bung for each cylinder.

You can also throw it on a dyno and use their AFM and the load test of the dyno and bring you friends stash of jets to jet it out. I would measure the jets first so you are making jet changes correctly.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: