Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cracked guide boss
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fclmscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:33 pm    Post subject: Cracked guide boss Reply with quote

Opinions please. Replaced a valve guide on an 043 casting, guide has been cut for dual springs. I pulled the old guide out after heating to 300f using the drill and tap method and old guide came out without much gaulding and boss did not crack. Checked clearance and was right at .0025 between the new (std) guide and the guide bore. Deburred the guide boss, heated the head to 300, froze the guide, leveled the head and drove the new guide in using hammer and guide tool. Guide had expected resistance. Guide boss cracked as seen below. So what are my options? is it safe to use? TIA

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Cracked guide boss Reply with quote

I wouldn't use it that way, weld it ,clearance it ,,use it Wink Laughing
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Cracked guide boss Reply with quote

Yes, you must have it repaired. Most shops cut the boss down to .625" when most dual springs have a .700" .I.D. Shocked

Here is the solution to this common problem.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2077442
nsracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked guide boss Reply with quote

And who thought it was a good idea to hammer the crap out of the guide?

Most shops will use an airtool to gently get the guide in place.

The head is instant trash. Such a shame you got thru all that work removing the guide and ruin everything after. Nothing like ruining a part to learn a lesson.

Removal of the old guide should be done in such a way so you do not damage or deform the guide boss bore. Relieve the guide by coring it and just gently tapping the old guide out.

Hammering usually deforms the guide and guide boss breakeage is a usual thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cracked guide boss Reply with quote

It's a tricky job, we all have our ways. Too much press tho IMO
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: