Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Finally...meet Betsy. 1981 Rabbit Pickup
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianbernal71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2022 4:07 pm    Post subject: Finally...meet Betsy. 1981 Rabbit Pickup Reply with quote

Well I'm finally getting around to starting a thread about my 1981 Rabbit Pickup. I've had her since last year. I am the 3rd owner and she has about 105k miles on her. She runs nicely but I know it's time for a tune up and I want to replace all the vacuum lines and connections to get her running tip top. I know I need a valve cover gasket as well. Just wondering if anyone out there has a favorite online store to order all this stuff from or just chase down parts from the local auto parts store. I've been an aircooled guy for many years and not much experience with this "newer" stuff. Also, it's running 155.80.13 tires, which i don't think were stock size, but I like the look and the price, anyone running tires that small?

That's about it for now, enjoy the pics and let me know what you think!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by brianbernal71 on Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: Finally...meet Betsy. Reply with quote

I do believe that was the size back in the day. I think I have 175 or even 185's on my stock 13" rims.

Do as you wish, but the car/truck is 40 years old. Before I tackle any oil leaks, I would replace all of the brake hydraulic parts. The parts should not be that expensive and it will only take a day at most to replace them. Don't forget the hoses too. You and the other drivers on the road will appreciate the day's work.
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Finally...meet Betsy. Reply with quote

That's a good-looking truck.

When I got my rabbit on the road I went through the vacuum hoses as you say. Then I had one of the plastic fittings in the cooling system crack and spray coolant all over so I went through the whole cooling system too replacing all the hoses and all the plastic fittings that attach the hoses to each other and to the engine. The hardest part of that process was the heater core.

If the car has been sitting awhile I like to do the rubber brake lines as well.

In terms of locating parts I didn't find that any one place really had everything I wanted or at a reasonable price. What I would do is search the web sites for a part until I could find a part number. Or sometimes I could find a part number right on the fitting or hose or whatever on the car. With that part number I would run a search on eBay and Amazon and sometimes just Google and I could find places that were stocking it under a name I wouldn't have predicted or in relationship to a Vanagon or some other product in Germany that happened to use that same part.

I was able to find everything I needed but it wasn't like the air-cooled stuff that you can find everywhere. Some of these water-cooled pieces took a little more time to research. I even got one little hose from somewhere in Eastern Europe, I think Latvia, for 9 dollars shipped.
SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
Butcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: Finally...meet Betsy. Reply with quote

With a 40 year old vehicle, there is so much that should be replaced.

There is a plastic pipe that joins the two heater hoses [one to the engine, the other to the heater core]. That pipe is probably made of plastic. You would be wise to replace the 'butt connector' with a brass version. To to the PEX area of the plumbing section of the hardware store. You should find one that works perfectly. Even if it is not broke, it's too cheap not to replace.

Of course, then there is the coolant pump, thermostat, hoses, etc. The coolant pump bolts may be seized so get the pump that comes with the housing.

That is how I tackle older cars. When I work on a system, I rebuild/replace all the wear items. Once you do, then it's as good as new.
brianbernal71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally...meet Betsy. Reply with quote

I appreciate all the input so far. I'm definitely not stopping with just the tune up. I plan on going thru everything before it's all said and done. I just wanted to start in the engine bay and get it tip top. It's a runner, always has been. The old man I got it from drove it weekly to the store, close to his house. He was an old school aircooled guy who knew a thing or 2, who owned it almost 30 years! Anyways. I got the time and some cash so that's where we're at for now. Been sick since the original post, but now it's time to get to work! Cheers!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: