Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

heater cable
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimwar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: heater cable Reply with quote

How tough is it to install a new cable on a 54? I can't see how the old one is attached because its missing. I do have a single new cable that I hope is correct. It is one piece with a bend in the middle with two ends that have a 2 inch metal piece as the end.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very easy. Just look down the aperature where the heater cable enters the pan (just behind the e-brake handle) and you'll see two small holes. Insert a cable end into each hole & keep feeeding it until it exits the pan (ont he frame horns)
billmetric
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 05, 2008 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only problems I have had is that sometimes the cable conduit tube gets filled up with rust and mud from bees and such over the years, most of the time you can slowly grind out the obstructions with longer and longer coat hangars chucked into drills and with pieces of cable spun around in there, remember that your '54 heater cable has a short end and a long end, the metal end pieces should not be even with each other, the center is slightly offset because one heater box lever is farther away from the control than the other one, I'm pretty sure the passenger side cable end is the longer one, not by much but it will make a difference
There is an idea of a Billmetric; some kind of abstraction. But there is no real me: only an entity, something illusory. And though I can hide my cold gaze, and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable... I simply am not there...
Tbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:07 pm    Post subject: Heater cable Reply with quote

Today I started to replace the heater cable on the 56 and needed to stop.

The old cable was removed and the tubes cleaned out with what was left of the old cable.
(Necessity being the mother of invention and all that.)
I ground the crimped end off to make it sharp ...and re-welded it to the cable .
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Pre juiced the tubes with penetrating oil.
The cable was then threaded wire end first from e-brake end and pulled to clean the tube.
The tubes were not clogged that bad just a small amount of rust dirt and some of the old rubber boot. Lucky me.
Then I slathered up the tubes with grease...and turned to thesamba for some guidance.

Question is what is the red plastic tube on the new cable for?
I ordered the new cable from W. W.
I did not see a plastic tube on the old cable that I removed.
Do I remove it, Is it a design improvement, or used to identify the different lengths?
Any help appreciated.
Ted
Tbone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: heater cable Reply with quote

I called Wolfsburg West today.
They said the plastic tube was for manufacture identification,
and to remove it then install the cable.
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had good luck using the steel tape from a electricians fish tape. It is about 3/16" wide by about 3/32" thick. It is a spring type of steel so it is pretty strong yet flexible If you cut the little bent eye on the end and sharpen the end of the tape you can run it in until it hits an obstruction. If it is a minor one you can probably work it loose with the tape. If it is stubborn, cut the tape off with about a foot left and chuck that in a drill. It will clean anything out of the tube. And as was stated earlier, use lot's of WD40 or whatever penetrating oil that you like.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Undis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just used two lengths of welding wire as a temporary solution. Takes a few minutes to do and it works. All you have to do is make small loops to go into the heater knob plunger. Once that end is assembled, connect the other end of wires to the heater boxes.
ecallaway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billmetric wrote:
the only problems I have had is that sometimes the cable conduit tube gets filled up with rust and mud from bees and such over the years, most of the time you can slowly grind out the obstructions with longer and longer coat hangars chucked into drills and with pieces of cable spun around in there, remember that your '54 heater cable has a short end and a long end, the metal end pieces should not be even with each other, the center is slightly offset because one heater box lever is farther away from the control than the other one, I'm pretty sure the passenger side cable end is the longer one, not by much but it will make a difference

Replacing my '55 heater cable with one that I got from WW. As stated above, one end is a bit longer. Can anyone confirm whether it is indeed the passenger side end that is longer?
ecallaway
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2022 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: heater cable Reply with quote

Found the answer and posting for others. Confirmed that the long side goes on the right (passenger) side. Attach part of the replacement instructions I found in another thread.
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: heater cable Reply with quote

When installed, how much of cable should be seen at exit points? Seems like very little is exposed.
Thanks you in advance

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: heater cable Reply with quote

Gee, I had to do this:

Don
adaysnight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2023 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: heater cable Reply with quote

so the passenger side heater cable is a bit longer than the driver's side, do we know exactly how much longer it is? thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: