Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine Conversion Thank Yous
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RyanFletch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:31 am    Post subject: Engine Conversion Thank Yous Reply with quote

It was a year ago on a short trip to Zephyr Cove from Reno when I was passed by a cement truck going up Spooner Summit that I finally decided that the 1.6NA could not cut it anymore. That little engine had served us reliably for 11 years but it was time to make a major upgrade. Given the price of Sprinters/Promasters/Transits at the time we decided to make a major investment into Butterscotch to serve our needs while our kids are growing and after they’re gone.

Last July I showed up in the rain unannounced at FAS and a stunned employee, with the front end of a Eurovan in his lap, opened the door and said, “let me get Chris”. That was the beginning of a year long endeavor to modernize our ‘82 diesel. I wanted to post these pictures primarily as a thank you to the numerous people that helped throughout this project. Without the advice and help of these individuals there would probably be just another sprinter sitting in a driveway.

Thank You to the following individuals:

Jon and Chris at FAS - They both welcomed me in an answered my questions for a solid hour and sent me on my way with plenty of swag. They have continued to respond to my numerous inquiries over the last year. Also, they collaborated with Eion multiple times during the build due to the uniqueness of the original diesel platform.

Eion, Vince, and Pedro at Eion’s Automotive - Eion was Jon’s recommendation for a west coast installer given that shipping the van to Maine wasn’t going to be feasible. From the moment I met Eion his enthusiasm for this project and vans in general was undeniable. Vince kept up steady communication while Eion did artisanal work under the lift. During delivery walkthrough I was stunned with the detail of Eion’s craftsmanship.

Mike Herbert at Rancho Performance Transaxles - Mike and I talked multiple times about a gearing setup and I was amazed with the delivery time of the 091, much appreciated.

Everardo Rivas (vwcultmember) Samba Member - Thanks to Ed who promptly shipped me a variety of used parts, an entire shifting system, air box assembly, and radiator brackets amongst other odds and ends.

Mike Evans at Van Cafe/Rocky Mountain Westy - Thank you Mike for some technical notes on the radiator conversion. Also, Mike quickly responded to my queries about part availability. I promise I will get those Twin Peaks bumpers sitting on my garage floor installed as soon as I can.

Jack Finn at Recycled Jack - Jack promptly responded to my email about the elusive radiator fan shroud from a non-AC equipped water boxer and had one shipped to me in no time.

GoWesty - Multiple parts came from Los Osos, but thank you for all the technical articles, installation videos, and products over the years. I have been informed and entertained many of times thanks to your productions.

The Samba - Although I do not post much, I am a frequent visitor to this site. I have found answers to my questions and received support from this outstanding community. Every member here shares a unique passion for these vehicles and have posted valuable information that has helped preserve these vans and keep them running well into the future.

Thank You Again
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversion Thank Yous Reply with quote

Nice! Congrats on the conversion !
Howesight
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversion Thank Yous Reply with quote

That's a great story and the pics reveal great skill, care and craftsmanship. Thanks for posting a positive thank-you to those who clearly deserve it. A nice contrast to the actual nightmare experiences of some Samba posters, and also a nice contrast to the snivellers who expect perfection at a discount. I am certain you paid a lot for what you got, but certain every penny was well-spent.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversion Thank Yous Reply with quote

Nice callouts for the folks who updated your van. I'm sure it cost a good deal but it was still far less expensive than a new van.

I also have received great support from Eion, Pedro and Vince over the past nine years and recommend Eion's highly. Their Bostig install in 2016 was great and it's operated exceptionally well over the years. Here's a photo taken shortly after the install:

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
RyanFletch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversion Thank Yous Reply with quote

I almost forgot! Thank you to my good friends who helped along the way as well with this project.

Thank you to my brother Ross who drove me to Harpswell to visit FAS. Who would of thought that you living in Portland, ME, could be so helpful to get this project off the ground.

Thank you to Lance and Kris who towed the van from Reno to Seattle. Although I had confidence that the 1.6 was reliable enough to complete the drive, it sure was nice riding in a Duramax with heated seats.

And finally, thank you to my friend Greg. Greg jumped at the opportunity to fly up to Seattle, ride a train, a bus, walk to Eion's in the rain and then drive back with me. Thanks for being a guinea pig!

Appreciate you guys!

Ross outside FAS 7/2021

Lance outside Tacoma, WA 2/2022

Took Butterscotch up the Mt. Rose Highway to 9000 Ft, a feat almost unthinkable before. It pulled great up the mountain in 3rd gear all the way... it's a completely new driving experience and I couldn't be happier.

Mt. Rose Campground 6/2022
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine Conversion Thank Yous Reply with quote

I love this!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Many happy trails ahead.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: