Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ultimate campmobile ideas
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

I’m wanting ideas and inspiration for turning our 78 westfalia campmobile into a super useful camper, If you’ve done something awesome to your bus and it’s made camping better please share it. I’m after as much inspiration as possible.

Anyone installed a fridge?
Extra storage?
Shelf above the sink unit like on the vanagons?

It seems like the vanagon owners are taking there camping ideas seriously but I can’t see much from the bay window crew
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

your 78 should share about the same basic layout as a vanagon in terms of interior layout.

i mean the sky is the limit if you're building from scratch

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

Jackrobbo wrote:

It seems like the vanagon owners are taking there camping ideas seriously but I can’t see much from the bay window crew

I believe the bay window crew likes the simplicity of bay windows, I know I do. Many people have added fridges and have done custom cabinets, some are done very nicely.

Since a bus is pretty small, my additions have been external. Awning, awning walls, outdoor carpet, collapsible kitchen, usb powered lights. Once a bus is set up for camping, the only thing you can do inside is sleep.

Check out this thread, he made some nice cabinets and added a fridge.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742568&highlight=
’65 Deluxe Build
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
your 78 should share about the same basic layout as a vanagon in terms of interior layout.

i mean the sky is the limit if you're building from scratch

It does yes, and is a great layout. Although I believe the cupboards are slightly smaller. I’m wanting to modify the original interior very carefully but to incorporate more storage, features and facilities but without it looking far from factory.
Jackrobbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

richparker wrote:
Jackrobbo wrote:

I believe the bay window crew likes the simplicity of bay windows, I know I do. Many people have added fridges and have done custom cabinets, some are done very nicely.

Since a bus is pretty small, my additions have been external. Awning, awning walls, outdoor carpet, collapsible kitchen, usb powered lights. Once a bus is set up for camping, the only thing you can do inside is sleep.

Check out this thread, he made some nice cabinets and added a fridge.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=742568&highlight=

I like your thinking, use thing the awning for living space. In the UK though it is often a bit cold and wet. Always wet. So I was hoping to make the van quite self contained.
Kansasthing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

My favorite additions are a trailer to carry gear (folding kayak, bike), and the rear tent, both to have a living area and bed at the same time and because the platform makes a nice big table/counter when not used for a bed. Awning is also a really nice add on.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

andrewtf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

I can offer what we did on our two buses. Big Emma and Murphy.

Big Emma is built to live in - as in a year at a time.
Its a beast.
You have to go to the last pages to see the new layout.
Some of their stuff is in other threads.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=657738

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=709845&highlight=

Murphy is a little less intense.
I'm not sure it shows up in my thread, but I installed a Dometic drawer fridge. It was slightly difficult in that I had to disassemble and remote mount the compressor. But worth it - in my mind.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

We got the layout drawings for most of the stuff we built.

good luck
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:19 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

the other thing is to utilize wasted space

under the front seats... where your master cylinder reservoir is, is a huge (long, but narrow) spot that runs the length of the seat stand. you can carefully pack a bunch of shit in there. i use that area for 'seldom used' shit like bug spray, sunscreen etc.

adding the vanagon 'rain gutter' over the cabinets isn't hard to do. it's about careful packing and if you have a wife like mine she will sniff out the perfect sized plastic container to shove into a spot.

bulky shit like camp chairs for example get shoved into the luggage rack. if they get wet, who cares, they dry fast.

using the "dish" in the spare tire is a great place to store shit as well. you also have to figure out how many people are you camping with and what the overall needs are and how long do you plan on camping.

we typically take off for only a night or 2 at this point, at least till our 17 year old coon hound decides to take a dirt nap...but that fucking dog (who i love dearly) shows no signs of quitting yet.

seeing you want to stay stock-ish vw did a pretty dam good job on the late bays in terms of using space, you just have to look for the unused spots

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

All we are trying to do is stuff 10 lbs worth of shot in a 5 lbs bag. There’s never enough room. I ended up going with a hitch and a cargo rack. I put a lot of shit inside of a plastic container and strap it to the rack. Had to make sure the container was narrow enough so it didn’t block the tail lights and I put my plate on the rack so Johnny Law can see it. That was a game changer for us, now the family can move freely on the bus while traveling. I have been eyeing up a small clam shell trailer a local Horse shoer has on his ranch. Maybe later this summer I’ll inquire about it.

Skills, I hear ya about the dog. We have a 15 yr old Healer, I’m pretty sure he’s never gonna die.
’65 Deluxe Build
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

richparker wrote:

Skills, I hear ya about the dog. We have a 15 yr old Healer, I’m pretty sure he’s never gonna die.

don't get me wrong, i love her to pieces. they are supposed to have a 10-12 year expiration date and here we are.

i love dogs but refuse to travel with one. we got here as a puppy, young enough we had her when she lost her puppy teeth but she limits how long we can be away. I keep joking with my wife we have a 20 year dog.

she's slowing down but still went after a woodchuck last week.

and my daughter wants a horse. um, no. if you want to turn piles of money into piles of shit it's a great animal to do the conversion for you

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
metahacker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

I've spent a lot of time pondering the answer to this very question....... if i were tasked with creating the 'ultimate' late Bay Westie derivative, i would consider the following:

storage over the kitchen (like the Vanagon shelf, or a full-fledged cabinet), ideally with a fan mounted underneath of it to act as a cooking exhaust through the jalousie, and a fresh air intake for chilling out.

Danfoss-Secop remote mount compressor/condenser kit (as sold by Marine vendors) - retaining the original Westfalia cooler and wrapping it in Aerogel insulation - compressor near it and condenser underneath the vehicle with a rock guard (OR..... swap to a Danfoss-Secop BD35 based refrigerator/freezer with a new kitchen cabinet config, and use the fender well cooler area for storage and/or ice cooler functionality...would be pretty "cool" to have your drinks on ice in there and the fridge full of food... you won't be upset if the ice all melts)

Fixed jump seat behind front passenger seat - specifically designed to house a potty - I would build it to accept the Thetford Curve and Laveo Dry-Flush (everything else is "crap", IMO). Ideally able to be moved/removed so you can still use your swivel seat at times...and end up seating 4 around the interior table effectively.

Hose bib / faucet valve in rear spare wheel well with shower hose
Shower curtain mounted in rear tailgate, with similar approach as Vogel "Vanaroo" for Vanagon, with a cedar plank floor that can be attached to curtain bottom (such that it will secure the curtain tautly when said plank floor is on the ground)

Large under-vehicle water tank such as Reimo, to increase capacity and free storage inside (possibly with 12V heating element and aerogel wrap, if you plan to use it <32F/0C)

12V 6L water heater (from Australia) - set to 167F - with 2x (redundant) thermostatic safety valves plumbed at the outlet set somewhere around 108 - 120F

Attwood check tee with hose bib inlet for "hookups" at camp site, and 12V SeaFlo 42 load-sensing pump

0.5 micron water filter / Pentek slim housing with stainless "home brew quick disconnects" to pull the housing out for changes (or bypass it, if needed)
UV LED germicidal light on water supply (or just use EF-Chlor tablets on every fill and let the filter take the chlorine out.. I'd probably still use the tablets with the light, tends to keep the tank immaculate)

2 x Aolithium 100Ah LiiFePO4 batteries (with Bluetooth BMS, that you should monitor religiously) in the engine bay in the standard positions, bridged together. No isolator. Ideally 5 of them, if you get creative with the metal in the bay and can lose things like a stock air box.

Victron BatteryProtect at your house fuse panel (inverter must bypass this, because it presents a capacitor based load, but a good inverter will have its own voltage cut off)

Victron MultiPlus (inverter, AC-DC charger and transfer switch, in one) or a separate inverter, transfer-switch relay and separate LFP specific charger .. and 110V exterior inlet to power the interior outlet and charger when on hookups (and transfer switch to automatically swap to inverter mode on the outlet when unplugged)

Victron Smart Shunt (optional) battery monitor

12V CruiseNComfort A/C system (ideally set up with thermostatic switching and battery bank such that you can run it while you sleep off-grid)

Large solar array with 100% roof coverage - should be approx 400-500W

Westfalia front child's cot (this is your massive front shelf while camped)

Propex HS2211 under-chassis heater

Rear mounted cargo rack to carry all your shit so you can actually use the Bus to sleep in without being bummed out about all the shit in your trunk blocking it.. Ideally with a 12V pellet wood smoker BBQ on it on arm like a late westy table Wink and a pellet wood fire pit and a 50lb dogfood container or two of pellets...to go with it.

NASA memory foam (aka ConforFoam) cushions to replace rear bench/bed extension and upper bunk foam. Multiple density composite... would be nice if one could make it as thick as a Riviera lower bed, as well.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

Well I love my 76 bay Westy ,and have owned it for 13 years,so far.The improvements I've made are a porta potty that fits between the front seats, I have a folding seat & a seat belt. A curtain across the front. Mine has the stock riffer. I use a ice chest when I'm off grid ,spare tire on front opens a lot of extra storage..Bike rack in back ,trailer hitch completes for towing boat or utally trailer. I even towed my THING from RI to Vt no problem.. I have a two bar rack for canoe or two kyacks. I use my bus from Apr to Dec every year in the northeast so heater work a little. I use it as a hunting camp in fall and even put a 200 lb ,7 pointer in side. Just remember you really don't need as much as u think u do. Good luck & future plans call for a vent above the stove. Bill. Vt n PR. Ps these buses are SLOW so I Cruze between 40/55..any faster and the van is old,I'm old & it's not safe as high speed anyway..
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

I did a few things to make life easier and better for storage.

See this thread for details: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9589066#9589066

1. Removed fridge components and converted fridge to icebox, & installed a drain. That made for more room in the storage to the left of the icebox.
2. Removed fresh water tank to make room for storage.
3. Built a center console box that holds a water container & has cup holders and charging ports. Put a 12v pump in that allows me to use the sink tap to draw water from that container.
4. Added a rear hatch release on the inside.
5. Built compartments under the rear seat to make it better organized and easy to get my coleman stove from the door.
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

In the UK it seems to be all about making the interior look like an IKEA kitchen. Not a fan personally. Hard to beat the interior of a '78 Campmobile for simple utility, functional, ergonomic design and build quality. Re-skinning, re-trimming of millwork makes a lot of sense. Retrofit of modern cooling tech into the original fridge would be a sensible upgrade. Some house electrics to address how everyone now carries devices.

Having been in this business a long time I can say with complete confidence the best thing you can do with a restoration/renovation/refit is keep the vehicle as original as possible. There are many reasons for this, primary among them is resale value which is always maximum with original vehicles. As the mods add up your catchment for buyers gets smaller and smaller too. “But I'm not planning to sell it”. That's what you say now. Life happens.
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

i think i’m largely building on what skills said about storage.

first thing i did was put coupla shelves in the closet. i don’t bring my dinner jacket when i’m camping, but i do roll up a slew of t-shirts.

i also use the space under the seat pedestals. bilstein scissor jack, extra brake fluid, and tubes of various goos under the driver’s and vacuum gauge, timing light, multi-meter, compression gauge, and an assortment of electrical parts and light bulbs under the passenger’s.

also, directly under the seats. map book and atlas under the passenger’s and spare cables, hoses, and the pee bottle under the driver’s.

battery cables, jump starter cables, and tarp in with the spare tire. and, of course bottle opener on the cover.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

^^^

good idea adding a shelf or 3. especially if you can remove them easily.

in terms of batteries etc you really need to decide if you are all out living in this thing for weeks on end.

that said, i'd build a battery rack that went under the bus much like OTR trucks. no need to suck up interior space.

a toilet is a bit of a pain in the ass....in a lot of ways. may be helpful for the ladies but all of the ladies in my life are trailer trash and have no problem squatting if need be

a friend of mine has a folding assless chair that is pretty small. dig a hole, take a dump and cover it up. he carries a expanding kid tunnel for privacy

i mean honestly, there comes a point when if you are REALLY going to 'camp' you may as well step up to a class C motorhome

[email protected] wrote:

Jake Raby wrote:

Brian wrote:
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

one of my brainstorms was a curtain for just behind the front seats. great for urban or other stealth camping.

i’ve since seen professional versions, though can’t remember where.

the table in the way back is a crappy idea. can’t leave it up when sleeping, having to move it constantly? no thanks. you can also see where i hang my trash.

cigarette lighters in the way back (pictured) and in the water-tank closet.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

If you rotate the batteries 90° you can fit 2 of them in the battery well. I have a start battery and a leisure battery, both charge off the alternator. The leisure has its own fuse box and runs my usb/12v outlets and my radio.

’65 Deluxe Build
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

i use the small space next to the fridge cabinet to store bags and such.

and behind that is my acdcpowerbank.

cup holders below each front seat.

a flashlight at the ready.

a coleman for milk, meat, beer, etc., not necessarily in that order.

plus, it makes a great seat for cooking, doing dishes, etc.

the stock fridge is useless (maybe not if i ever get a newer house battery and solar system) except as an icebox. the tupperware keeps the fridge from becoming a lake, and keeps veggies and such cool enough.

dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Ultimate campmobile ideas Reply with quote

metahacker wrote:
i created my own awning setup inspired by the original (rare/optional) riviera awning.

stealthy and practical.

here it is, deployed:

here it is, stowed Smile (and no, that's a fire pit and bbq on the roof rack, not the awning)
hint: you can't see it. it's kept completely concealed underneath the top - canvas, poles and all Smile

it's mounted in a C-channel extrusion, simply using VHB 4950

the poles roll up in the canvas and they cinch down with some strapping i captured underneath the rail (p.s. it really only needs the outer 2)

i've been really happy with it. i think it came out ok for a first iteration.

the focus next will be devising a self-supporting pole system (perhaps using marine bimini hardware on the side step/rear bumper) ..
so that it can just unroll and plug into receivers mounted on the bus body itself (not unlike how the split bus A-frame awnings work) ..
thus making deployment that much faster and frequent usage even more practical (making ground-staking optional)

after that, i think that adding an optional, easily-attached sidewall system would be very snazzy.
then it could transform into something resembling a full side tent with little effort...

this looks very interesting, though no word yet on whether it would fit under a westfalia pop top.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: