Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Stock Rocker arms?
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonyd0822
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:32 am    Post subject: Stock Rocker arms? Reply with quote

Hey Samba. Do these look like stock rocker arms? The problem I am having is I replaced cylinders and pistons on a rebuild and went to put the rocker arms back on and the pushrods are too long now. They are stock pushrods and my deck height is good. I am not sure what else would make these pushrods too long. I don't have a micrometer big enough to measure the rods but on a ruler they look damn close to stock measurements. Any advice?

I don't mind cutting them I just want to make sure this is the route to take. Don't really want to add shims to the rocker stand either.

Thanks!
-Tony
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Rocker arms? Reply with quote

What’s wrong with shims? I can’t think of a ACVW engine that I’ve had that didn’t have shims.
’65 Deluxe Build
tonyd0822
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Rocker arms? Reply with quote

It seems like it would take a few of them and I worry about hitting the valve cover and getting a good torque on the nuts.

From what I have read, people don't recommend it. Open to any suggestions tho...
richparker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Rocker arms? Reply with quote

People don’t recommend a lot of shit, that don’t mean its wrong.

You can’t just cut any old pushrod. You should use pushrods that are meant to be cut, that what I have in my bus motor.
’65 Deluxe Build
fl59bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Rocker arms? Reply with quote

Did you replace only the pistons and cylinders with no other changes? If so this points to the new cylinders being shorter than the old ones.

Those do look like factory rockers fyi. You will either need to add shims under the cylinders (which will affect your deck height), or shim the rocker stands or shorten the prs
tonyd0822
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Rocker arms? Reply with quote

I started with a new case. stock as41. new cam. CB Cheater cam. new stock lifters. Had the heads cleaned with new valve guides and valves put in. Using old crank shaft as it was in great shape. Crank rods are stock length. Got the deck height perfect without shims. Before it was at about .250 with old cylinders and pistons. These are the rocker arms and push rods that came with original motor. I hope this is enough or not too much info. This is my first build.

I don't mind getting push rods that i can get cut to length. I did order a adjustable push rod measuring tool. Just want to know if there is something I am missing or should check before I order new push rods to fit.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Rocker arms? Reply with quote

No cylinder shims? That seems off. You did the math for compression ratio?

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
tonyd0822
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Rocker arms? Reply with quote

This is a rebuild from an old case that had seen better days. Using the crankshaft, heads, pushrods, and rockers from it.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Stock Rocker arms? Reply with quote

tonyd0822 wrote:
This is a rebuild from an old case that had seen better days. Using the crankshaft, heads, pushrods, and rockers from it.

You still need to do the math to set up the proper compression ratio. Or are you just crossing your fingers and wishing on a star?

Cb Performance has a good calculator on their website.
http://cbperformance.com/v/enginecalc.html

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
mukluk
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Rocker arms? Reply with quote

Those are stock VW 1.1:1 rockers, but most definitely not stock adjusters. The swivel foot adjusters you have installed require either adjusting geometry via shims and/or different length pushrods, or the rocker arms will need ground a bit so the adjuster can screw a bit farther in.
tonyd0822
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Stock Rocker arms? Reply with quote

Yeah I did the math on the compression ratio. Did it a few times to make sure. All checks out.

Didn't think about the adjusters. Thanks for that.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: