Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Passenger seat swivel stuck, 1995 Winnebago conversion
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiversToTheSea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:32 pm    Post subject: Passenger seat swivel stuck, 1995 Winnebago conversion Reply with quote

Hi all, new owner of a '95 Eurovan Winnebago conversion. The passenger seat swivel was very very stiff when I got it.

I sprayed some silicone spray into the swivel as best I could when I got it but that didn't loosen it up at all. Now after sitting for about a month while rotated to face the rear, it will absolutely not swivel at all.

I loosened the large bolt that runs vertically through the swivel mechanism about a half turn, and that did not change anything. I'd take it all apart to inspect the swivel but I cannot figure out how to get it apart. I thought that with that bolt loose there would be play in the swivel and if I could get that bolt out it would all come apart but now I am not sure.

Any advice appreciated. This appears to be a rare problem with not a lot of solutions that I could find.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger seat swivel stuck, 1995 Winnebago conversion Reply with quote

Might have something to do with the interlock. Prevents the seat from swiveling when the engine is running.
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger seat swivel stuck, 1995 Winnebago conversion Reply with quote

There's no part on my 1995 swivel that's not mechanical- no electric interlock tied into running. If that's what Mr. Pulldown is describing, that's a later van feature- maybe he's describing something else though.

Plus, it reads like your seat is stuck facing rearwards. Sounds like a seized something. I'm not really sure how these seats work, but I'd be continuing to work on disassembly. Also, it's a pretty simple mechanism- maybe have somebody get a pry bar into the gap where the swivel is, lift while you try and turn. Also, I'd whale on it with a hammer- for real, using a 2 x 4 or something for protection while beating the heck out of it. Corrosion welding is real and the only thing you can do sometimes is use force/heat to break it.
RiversToTheSea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Passenger seat swivel stuck, 1995 Winnebago conversion Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
There's no part on my 1995 swivel that's not mechanical- no electric interlock tied into running. If that's what Mr. Pulldown is describing, that's a later van feature- maybe he's describing something else though.

Plus, it reads like your seat is stuck facing rearwards. Sounds like a seized something. I'm not really sure how these seats work, but I'd be continuing to work on disassembly. Also, it's a pretty simple mechanism- maybe have somebody get a pry bar into the gap where the swivel is, lift while you try and turn. Also, I'd whale on it with a hammer- for real, using a 2 x 4 or something for protection while beating the heck out of it. Corrosion welding is real and the only thing you can do sometimes is use force/heat to break it.

Update: I tried gently prying it up after loosening the through-bolt, but before I do any damage by really cranking on it I'd like to someone else's work disassembling it so I know what works and what doesn't / could break something.

I did get it unstuck- while it was facing backwards and with the seat slid all the way forward (into the rear cabin) I kicked the front of the seat cushion and it broke free. I can spin it again, but it's still very stiff.
cwparrott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2022 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Passenger seat swivel stuck, 1995 Winnebago conversion Reply with quote

Oddly the passenger side swivel in my 95 EVC got so hard to swivel i took it totally aopart. Not that easy but doable. Cleaned everything lubed it and it was better but not perfect. There was no obvious culprit. Good luck.

Only thing i could think of was that maybe not having pressure on it constraintly caused iot to just stiffen up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: