Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How Many Layers of Paint for a Daily Driver?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:09 pm    Post subject: How Many Layers of Paint for a Daily Driver? Reply with quote

Hello, I searched the threads for this but had no luck. Maybe it was just me, not sure so sorry to repeat the subject.

But in all I did not see a thread to how many layers of paint to apply for a nice Daily Driver that sports around, thus running into flying rocks and all that jazz. Plus typical Bir stuff and bugs. Also, the car is a factory gloss black paint job, inside and out. So going back to this color.

So, when the paint it taken down to metal and reapplications occur, how many coats should I expect for a resilent surface?

Thanks for your time, and yes, looked into layers of clear, but like that changes for I believe with the different types of paint, plus coincides with price.. RB
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:40 am    Post subject: Re: How Many Layers of Paint for a Daily Driver? Reply with quote

Are you going bc cc or single stage?

Black is the worse to keep up for a daily driver. Rock chips show up etc. You can go with a clear bra on the front lower parts as well as the lower rear fenders to cut down on the rock chips. You may want to use a black primer too so chips don't appear white.

When detailing black always looks the best when you are done but 2 minutes outside of the garage you can already see the pollen on it. Then there is keep the swirls and marring to a minimum with proper washing and drying techniques and polishing.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: How Many Layers of Paint for a Daily Driver? Reply with quote

I usually shot four coats of single stage because I normally cut and buff.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
RailBoy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: How Many Layers of Paint for a Daily Driver? Reply with quote

Thanks guys and ladies for the input. Included a photo, so yes a beat up daily driver sorta Retro German Looker type set-up of a car.

So the black is going to be reapplied do to it is factory. Door jams and everything is black, with the exception of the head liner and sun visors. Not sure if there original though.

Anyway, back to the topic, so the car gets driven, and yes, 300 mile weekend, back roads, crummy roads and rocks and all. So yes, rock chips are a concern.

This is a next year plan and I have a paint guy who knows stuff, but yes, like to compare. And I think at least 4 layers, maybe all combined? Or more to make it a good lasting paint coating?

See, a few bucks more while in the process does not bother me if I am for-warned.

Thanks for the input for sure. RB

p.s. Currently the car has gloss, flat, and primer black all over it, Smile

p.s.s. Also not sure with what to pick, paint type?
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: How Many Layers of Paint for a Daily Driver? Reply with quote

If it was my car there are two options bc cc and single stage.

Regardless what you choose you still need to take care of the paint. For single stage you need to feed it oils periodically (like Meguiars #7). Some single stages are easier to touch up as well since you don't have to blend and clear. Whichever you decide I would have the painter mix a bit of extra paint then go down to your paint jobber store and have them put that paint in aerosol cans for you so you have some in your stash if needed in the future.

You can wax, seal, or coat for protection. They are all toppers and used for protection, but none is perfect you just choose one that suits your needs.

If it was my car and you are going to paint match I would let the painter use his scanner then use what every toner he needs to match and spray the car. Then let the paint cure and then go to a local shop that does quality clear bra installation and have that installed on the lower portion of the front and to the rear lower fender area to help prevent against rock chips.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: