Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

This day in history
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mickey bitsko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

I heard on the Denver news 30,000 stoners downtown @420 on 420
How exciting #Sleep
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Adolf Hitler's birthday for what it's worth.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:

I celebrate April 30, when he killed himself.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Emily's Owner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2022 10:37 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Forum member hambone celebrates his natal anniversary today, so that's big news.

ITMC - OG Den Mother

What (and I cannot stress this enough) The Actual Fuck?!

1974 Transporter
2023 Subaru Outback
Abscate Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 2:55 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Joe 20 wrote:

I am uncomfortably comfortable with that.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

I could care less...somebody asked "Birthday?" and his was what the date was known for...before NGHD.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Joe 20 wrote:

The only radio contest i ever won was about that, for a reggae show from KFJC along time ago. I wasn't into reggae yet, and definitely didn't wanna show up knowing that date, into an unknown crowd. In my defense I was still in high school and it was recent topic and was easy to look up in a BOOK! IIRC it was Eek a Mouse..guess that 420 hasn't recked me yet... Laughing

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2022 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

96 years ago today Queen Elizabeth was born.

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

came across this photo which is (reportedly) the sunset on the evening before D day - june 5th 1944 - from the life magazine archives. it's so calm and beautiful and it was the last one that many young men would see...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

June 5, 1944 was a stormy sea, so invasion was delayed a day but conditions weren't much better. The sea roughness convinced Rommel that the Aliies would not attack then.....

Here's what Eisenhower had written in case the invasion was a failure:
"Our landings in the Cherbourg-Havre area have failed to gain a satisfactory foothold and I have withdrawn the troops," Eisenhower wrote. "My decision to attack at this time and place was based upon the best information available. The troops, the air and the Navy did all that bravery and devotion to duty could do. If any blame or fault attaches to the attempt it is mine alone."

It's telling to see today where Eisenhower made changes in his note. He crossed out "This particular operation" to write "My decision to attack," which is emphatic and personal.

And he drew a long, strong line under "mine alone." When you see those words and that thick line on the note today, in the Eisenhower Library, you might feel some of the steel of a man who would so unflinchingly accept responsibility. Ike didn't try to camouflage failure in phrases like, "Mistakes were made," "Our projections were not met" or "I will say nothing pending investigation." He wrote, "any blame or fault ... is mine alone."

Dwight Eisenhower put the note into his wallet. The invasion succeeded, and although a lot of dying was ahead, his note never had to be used. But it revealed a character that was enduring.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:40 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

June 25, 1876.

Custer got his Arrow shirt from the Indians injuns redskins natives indigenous people at the Little Big Horn.
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

They say he was killed by bullets...one to the chest and one to the temple. Ya gotta wonder...I get the joke though...was just as funny as in years past. Laughing

Some speculate he went down early in the fight and it was his brother Tom or Miles Keough who took command. Only those "other people" know for sure.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
They say he was killed by bullets...one to the chest and one to the temple.

Likely bullets. The cavalry (not calvary) was under-equipped, many Indians had repeating rifles, cavalry had single shot. And his hair was short by 1876.

Folks tend to forget that big-league baseball had games back in 1876, stuff like that...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Continuing with Cusser Custer:
Actually, one of the best explanations I've read was that it was very hot that day, and the cavalry had traveled quite far without stopping, with no water for the horses, and when the cavalry got to the stream that the horses wanted a $#$%^&&%$#%&&^$# drink and were not responding to the riders, and there was a quite small group of Indians on the other side, so the happenstance of that situation resulted in the Indians shooting a fair amount of cavalry and panicking the rest and also the horses.

I'm not a gun person, but it must be tons easier to shoot repeaters from the ground than use single shot rifles/revolvers while on a horse, unruly or not !!!
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
June 25, 1876.

Custer got his Arrow shirt from the Indians injuns redskins natives indigenous people at the Little Big Horn.

Just doing their job. Homeland security, since 1492.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
Indians injuns redskins natives indigenous people

Thanks for being PC Rolling Eyes

Native Americans would of been enough.

Columbus didn't discover America... there were already people here that knew it existed Wink

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Joe 20
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Cusser-
What I was wondering about is if the chest wound put him down and then someone (lots of relatives in his command) finished him at the very end. You sure didn't want to get taken alive. I guess we'll never know...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Joe 20 wrote:
Cusser-
What I was wondering about is if the chest wound put him down and then someone (lots of relatives in his command) finished him at the very end. You sure didn't want to get taken alive. I guess we'll never know...

We'll never know.

Many historians actually credit Custer with saving the Union at the Battle of Gettysburg.
https://www.google.com/search?q=Custer+with+saving...nt=gws-wiz
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

One Giant Leap For Mankind happened 53 years ago today.

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jwp67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: This day in history Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
Cusser wrote:
Indians injuns redskins natives indigenous people

Thanks for being PC Rolling Eyes

Native Americans would of been enough.

Columbus didn't discover America... there were already people here that knew it existed Wink

I often wondered why “Native Americans” was acceptable. This wasn’t America when settlers first realized there were others here before them.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 39, 40, 41  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 41

Jump to: