Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VW The Thing Sun Visor
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack Clifton
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:31 am    Post subject: VW The Thing Sun Visor Reply with quote

Would like to know what causes the sun visor on VW The Thing to fall and be loose? The visor is in good condition - do I need to replace the screws? holders-w screws? The visor never stays up..

tks

77kafer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, it has been a long time since I owned my thing, but if I remember correctly, there is a small screw that tightens up around the shaft that keeps it from being so loose.

Overheard on 27 June 07, one lady to another when they saw my Harli in a parking lot at West Point, "maybe he found it on the clearance aisle at the Volkswagen dealer"
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:25 am    Post subject: Re: VW The Thing Sun Visor Reply with quote

Jack Clifton wrote:
Would like to know what causes the sun visor on VW The Thing to fall and be loose? The visor is in good condition - do I need to replace the screws? holders-w screws? The visor never stays up..

tks

On mine a groove wore into the metal rod over time to such an extanet that tightening no longer worked. Tried to wrap the area but it would not last. Finally purchased new visors from TTS which are very nice.
billzer06
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the metal? If your welding chops are good, you can weld it back up and get rid of the groove. My dad's AMX window gears were shot when he got it, so him and I welded it up and cut new notches in with a dremel tool. That was 5 years ago I think and it still works fine! With enough patience and persistence, I don't see why you wouldn't be able to get it to work that way, as long as its weldable.
CLXXXI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For anyone not bothered about original visors, early/mid 90's Wrangler Jeep visors fit good enough to do the job, in fact they are longer covering more of the window while not as deep which suits the Thing window better in my opinion.
Thought the fixing isn't pretty, if you offer a pair up to the screw points you'll see with a little manipulation (the thick "wires" on the visors slide slightly in & out) you can get a fixing screw in each side.
doublecanister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: VW The Thing Sun Visor Reply with quote

Jack Clifton wrote:
Would like to know what causes the sun visor on VW The Thing to fall and be loose?

Oiling them will cause this......guess how I found out! Shocked

Like an idjut, when I first got my THING the dern visors were very tight to adjust, I figured a lil' wd40 would help, It helped alright.

big Duh on my part, they just have finally started to grab again and hold position.

I dont think at the time I was aware of the adjustment screw....

T
1966 - Mustang GT- Fastback
1951 - Ford F1 pickup Flathead V8
Zylinderkopf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doublecanister - you're not the only one....I did the same exact thing! Rolling Eyes
Have been meaning to fix that... will see if I can find that screw everyone is talking about...
obus Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: VW The Thing Sun Visor Reply with quote

running into mine flopping. Have to investigate. Its annoying AF
1960 Paprika Red Karmann Ghia Convertible aka Schatze L452 built 5/20/60
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...highlight=
66 21 window bus built 8/31/65 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=777273
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: VW The Thing Sun Visor Reply with quote

Yep, mine keep flopping down. Ended up jamming a screwdriver in the top latch to hold it up.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: