Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oh No! She died
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:21 pm    Post subject: Oh No! She died Reply with quote

Well just fainted, I suppose...

Cruising down the highway and blah, popped it out of gear, green and red lights on. Coasted onto the ramp and got out of the way. No noises, no puddles no smoke.
tested power at black wire to coil. ok. unplugged reverse light wire in case something was going on there.
Tested for spark by trying to static time, no light. some say a Module will die just like that so swapped in the 009 with points I had put in the trunk 10 years ago. still would not static time, no light. hmmmm

Never had a coil die instantly like that, but I guess anything is possible, so had to make some phone calls to get one of my coils brought out, no answer, wife had her phone off or something.
While I'm contemplating who to call next I thought "the tach"! its plugged into the neg side of the coil, maybe?
Unplugged that, staticked the 009 and she started right up, and I went on about my business.

Got home and tested the tach wire to ground, nothing. Plugged it back in and car runs fine and tach works fine. just one of those things.

I will trace out that wire looking for fraying, and probably replace it using one of the diagnostic port wires...
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! She died Reply with quote

cletus_zuber wrote:
I thought "the tach"! its plugged into the neg side of the coil, maybe?
Unplugged that, staticked the 009 and she started right up, and I went on about my business.

Good idea to isolate stuff like the tachometer that's not necessary, for the troubleshooting. Good work.

cletus_zuber wrote:
Tested for spark by trying to static time, no light. some say a Module will die just like that so swapped in the 009 with points I had put in the trunk 10 years ago.

So are you going to swap back in the electronic distributor to try to do further diagnosing????
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! She died Reply with quote

Heat changes the resistance of components. Might be a heat related issue.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! She died Reply with quote

Side comment...

I think it's fantastic how Bug owners driving their 50 year old cars can trouble-shoot on the road, check things out, solve it in good order and keep on ticking. No high-cost Mr. Goodwrench intervention for us.

I can't imagine getting away with this driving a heavily computerized modern vehicle. Just another reason to love our simple dependable Bugs.

We fix them because we can.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! She died Reply with quote

goober wrote:
Side comment...

I think it's fantastic how Bug owners driving their 50 year old cars can trouble-shoot on the road, check things out, solve it in good order and keep on ticking. No high-cost Mr. Goodwrench intervention for us.

I can't imagine getting away with this driving a heavily computerized modern vehicle. Just another reason to love our simple dependable Bugs.

Good point, Goober !!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
viiking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! She died Reply with quote

Showing your age Cusser! Next thing you’ll be telling me about Leave it To Beaver☺️
goober
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 11:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oh No! She died Reply with quote

Cusser wrote:
goober wrote:
Side comment...

Good point, Goober !!!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I was younger and more handsome then. Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: