Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dielectric grease on connectors?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:27 pm    Post subject: Dielectric grease on connectors? Reply with quote

Hi,

I plan to put Dielectric grease on mostly all connectors, like the ones for the headlights and sidemarker lights, ect.

I believe it would help to prevent corrosion and preserve a good électricien contact, but I wonder to know if there is warning to use dielectric grease in some places?

Regards,

1986 Vanagon GL full camper westfalia
(brown/tan interior)
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors Reply with quote

I can't think of anywhere it shouldn't be used.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors Reply with quote

Dielectric grease protects the terminals from corrosion and does not conduct electricity so it's safe to use anywhere. The contacts open to the elements that you mention are prime candidates for it but any electrical connection on the van seems like it would benefit or at least not be harmed.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors Reply with quote

Thanks Jim.
Just thinking then sharing my idea…
If the dielectric grease doesn’t conduct electricity, could it act as an isolator then stopping the current, if we apply too much of grease between the connectors?

(brown/tan interior)

Last edited by maco70 on Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors Reply with quote

I use anti-oxidant electrical grease.
Since, by definition, it's conductive, I clean the grease off between contacts in a connector, just to be safe.
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors Reply with quote

maco70 wrote:
Thanks Jim.
Just thinking then sharing my idea…
If the dielectric grease doesn’t conduct electricity, could it act as an isolator then stopping the current, if we apply too much if grease between the connectors?

nope. ALL electrical contact is made by metal to metal contact, the electrons don't 'jump a gap' at the voltages we're dealing with. pressing two conductors together excludes the dielectric and forms the crucial oxygen free barrier around the metal to metal bond.

but there's better stuff than just dielectric grease, which is still really good compared to nothing. Penetrox is an industry standard for compression electrical connections and here's a blurb from Penetrox regarding its properties:

"PENETROX™ oxide-inhibiting compounds produce low initial contact resistance, seal out air and moisture, prevent oxidation or corrosion, exhibit superior
weathering characteristics, are usable over wide temperature ranges and provide a high conductivity “gas-tight” joint. All PENETROX™ compounds contain homogeneously suspended metal particles. The suspended metal particles assist in penetrating thin oxide film, act as electrical “bridges” between conductor strands, aid in gripping the conductor, improve electrical
conductivity and enhance the integrity of the connection."

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors Reply with quote

I totally disagree.

1st things first, change the name of "Dielectric" grease to what it really is, "no electricity will flow through me" grease. At least in your minds, the marketing teams of this product will never agree to this..

That reality description doesn't bring warm fuzzy feelings through me with respect to helping an electrical situation/problem/issue. Just the opposite.

The original intent of this grease was to keep brand new built electrical parts/wiring junction free of outside possible contamination from the elements, nothing more, no up side electrically, just less potential future downside and keep the car companies away from warranty complains.

I've seen customer home brew/DIY "improvements" using dielectric grease, new connectors, heat shrink, solder, proper oxygen free crimps, solder after proper crimps (ruining them) only to find inches of green corrosion on the OEM copper wire feeding it.

My point here is don't add an element that can only hurt the electrical circuit.

BK

PS If any thing use something that can help like;
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-DeoxIT-Contact-Cleaner/dp/B00006LVEU
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
I totally disagree.

My point here is don't add an element that can only hurt the electrical circuit.

I totally disagree with your totally disagree. Very Happy

The dielectric grease is not part of the electrical circuit. It helps protect the connectors from corrosion, nothing more or less.

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
I totally disagree.

What part of "does not conduct electricity" are you disagreeing with? Or are you disagreeing with something else? It's not clear. For folks reading it would be helpful to know what you're disagreeing with.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors? Reply with quote

What he said... used correctly dielectric grease protects connections and reduces the possibility of unwanted conduction. I use it freely and have not observed any downside.
1988M5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
1988M5 wrote:
I totally disagree.

What part of "does not conduct electricity" are you disagreeing with? Or are you disagreeing with something else? It's not clear. For folks reading it would be helpful to know what you're disagreeing with.

Simple, why horse around with a compound that can only hurt a circuit?

The compound is meant to reduce the failure/complaints after many years in service.
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors? Reply with quote

Please explain to me how a dielectric grease can 'hurt' a circuit? This electronics engineer of many decades experience would be intrigued to learn something new to refute something so fundamental to normal operation and practice...

I call FUD - and trolling. Sad
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors Reply with quote

1988M5 wrote:
jimf909 wrote:
1988M5 wrote:
I totally disagree.

Simple, why horse around with a compound that can only hurt a circuit?

The compound is meant to reduce the failure/complaints after many years in service.

You quite obviously have never been around road salts, where exposure to the elements can damage an electrical connection in hours, whereas if one uses dielectric grease he may get by without having to clean the very same connection for years.

It simple, add a product that can only help a circuit instead of having to horse around with corroded connections over and over because of the name given to a product.
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors Reply with quote

https://www.thedrive.com/maintenance-repair/39173/dielectric-grease
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors? Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
Please explain to me how a dielectric grease can 'hurt' a circuit?

my .02 and real life experience...

long story short is i put it on a horn contact ring. after it was applied, no more toot toot

it's an insulator. you pray that the act of making a connection scrapes it off to make a good solid connection.

it was originally designed to put a dab in spark plug boots/spark plug ceramic to help seal from moisture and aid in removal

if you want something to improve a connection, Stabilant 22 is what you want.

if you want to see how great dielectric grease is as an insulator, go rip the connector off of any module in a CAN BUS system, pack it full and report back

dielectric grease is a corrosion/moisture inhibitor. it is NOT a way to enhance connectivity

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
atarasi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors? Reply with quote

I think many posts are saying the same thing. Silicone grease aka dielectric grease, doesn’t conduct electricity, it works as an insulator. So, it sounds like you need to know how to apply it correctly. Use it around a connection to protect it from corrosion not between an electrical connection to hinder the flow of current.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors? Reply with quote

A lot of informations !
If I can resume for myself, on the connectors I could put stabilant 22, Penetrox or any of these products that improve the connectivity, then I could put dielectric grease on the assembly, over the sheath.

(brown/tan interior)
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors? Reply with quote

maco70 wrote:
A lot of informations !
If I can resume for myself, on the connectors I could put stabilant 22, Penetrox or any of these products that improve the connectivity, then I could put dielectric grease on the assembly, over the sheath.

As you can see, you've raised questions about an application where folks have different opinions and you'll get different answers.

My dad taught me much of what I know and he never used dielectric grease so for years I never used dielectric grease. Back in 1988 when my brand new 1988 BMW motorcycle had a small fire that burned the wiring harness to the taillights I reassembled it (I can't tell you exactly how other than I used no dielectric grease) and it's working well to this day 34 years later. Later in life I learned about dielectric grease and have been using it on wire connections and it seems to also work well. I've never used Penetrex although knowledgeable folks recommend it.

Your suggestion to use both Penetrex and dielectric grease seems like too much work for too little gain. Put a dab of dielectric grease on the terminal, make the connection and move on is my suggestion. FWIW, YMMV.

Abscate wrote:

danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors? Reply with quote

I can see where/how a coating of Dielectric grease on a horn ring and it's weak spring tensioned contact would form a film that could/would build up under the spring tang and inhibit a good contact. especially if it's a non-relayed horn where full current is needed to get any noticeable sound out of it.. Exclamation

in this case it wasn't making the needed metal to metal connection..
not a proper location to use dielectric grease. Idea

we all get learned by the physics of the natural universe on occasion.
for me it's most often sharp or heavy objects intercepting my physical body space.. Embarassed

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
fxr wrote:
Please explain to me how a dielectric grease can 'hurt' a circuit?

my .02 and real life experience...

long story short is i put it on a horn contact ring. after it was applied, no more toot toot

it's an insulator. you pray that the act of making a connection scrapes it off to make a good solid connection.

it was originally designed to put a dab in spark plug boots/spark plug ceramic to help seal from moisture and aid in removal

if you want something to improve a connection, Stabilant 22 is what you want.

if you want to see how great dielectric grease is as an insulator, go rip the connector off of any module in a CAN BUS system, pack it full and report back

dielectric grease is a corrosion/moisture inhibitor. it is NOT a way to enhance connectivity

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
maco70
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dielectric grease on connectors? Reply with quote

I agree, Jim.
It is maybe too much.
Many folks, many answers.
The learn is quite more philosophical perhaps.
Hava a good one.

(brown/tan interior)
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: