Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Single cab treasure chest rocker
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fabfriar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 2:09 pm    Post subject: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

I was doing a quick test fit on some of the new metal on my 59 single cab, and this treasure chest rocker doesn't even get close to the treasure chest door bottom, it's about 12mm away, am I missing something? It's the KF495 treasure chest rocker complete kit, should be the correct part. The original from my truck is long gone, so I can't compare, but I'm sure it should line up better than this. The curve of the new rocker measures 80mm, if that helps.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2022 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

i think you are looking at this upside down. Smile

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
wigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2022 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

I am having the same issue.. I have a 59 dual treasure chest. And I have about the same gap. 12mm, Just under a 1/2" on both sides. I have measured everything over and over from the load bed support, the treasure chest doors, the rockers. Inner and outer, to try and figure out where im gaining this 12mm gap. I thought maybe the notch for the hinge carrier was indented to much. But comparing that to the original, it seems fine also. And even if it was, it wouldn't be 12mm off.

Ive done the rockers in the past on buses and never had this issue with a gap like this at the cargo doors.

I'm also using the klassic fab complete rocker kf495. I don't have an original SC rocker to compare the klassicfab to, but I compared them to the rockers on the buses and they measure / compare to those the same.

I'm assuming the rockers on the SC are the same height as buses with cargo doors. So I'm stumped on this gap issue.
1966 21 window - own
1962 11 window standard, own
1961 ragtop bug, - own
1963 23 window bus - restored sold
1954 oval hardtop with semis, stolen
1962 11 window standard bus with ragtop, sold
1965 squareback, sold
1955 oval 3 fold rag and semis, sold
1952 split window rag and semis, sold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tpinthepack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

I would be curious if another brand would fit better. You would have to be a master metal man to fix that gap.
1990 Vanagon DOKA
1972 Super Beetle
1979 Super Beetle Convertible
2011 Porsche Cayenne
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

Just checked on our DEC62 SC with it original treasure chest doors and somewhat rusty rockers and looks like it should be about 6mm. Have either of you got into touch with Classicfab about this??? We will be needing to replace rockers on both of our SCs sometime.
wigg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

I just ordered the autocraft outside rocker from ww yesterday. It should be here later this week, so I'll be able to Compare both.

I had a friend measure his opening height on his treasure chest and came up 17 1/8". The treasure chest door measures 16 7/8. Leaving about 1/8" on top and bottom.

The opening I measure on mine is 17 1/2". Everything is lined up as It should be and can't really account doe the large gap.

So hopefully the autocraft one is a bit on the larger side...so to speak.
1966 21 window - own
1962 11 window standard, own
1961 ragtop bug, - own
1963 23 window bus - restored sold
1954 oval hardtop with semis, stolen
1962 11 window standard bus with ragtop, sold
1965 squareback, sold
1955 oval 3 fold rag and semis, sold
1952 split window rag and semis, sold
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fabfriar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

I sent a note and my pictures to Gerson, I'll post an update when I get it...If anyone with an original metal single cab could measure the curve of the rocker as I did in my first post, that would help to compare, as I got 80mm on the replacement piece.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2022 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

Getting about 84 or 85mm on the factory driver side rocker. The lower inner radius makes it hard to get exact.
VWFIXER
Banned

PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2022 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

Chest door is high, and rocker is low.

Choose 2

Over a million air cooled miles driven and 15,000+ cars serviced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Kb65single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

Had the same problem. Had to fit the b-pillar rocker, long outer rocker and c-pillar rocker at the same time. Ended up welding a 1/2” wide by 1/8” thick plate to the bottom of the inner rocker. That allowed me to push the long rocker up and out and did fix the gap problem. Was contemplating making the outer long rocker wider but the other pieces (b-pillar and c-pillar rockers ) seemed to fight that. Now that you have the b-pillar welded you are going to have to make a choice. Do you redo the outer skin of the b-pillar or widen the long rocker. Test fit the rear panel and floor at the same time, all the pieces need to play well with each other. 16 7/8 door and 17 1/8 opening is what I have too. Good luck it is not an easy repair. Just finished my drivers side hopefully the passenger side will be easier.
Kb65single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

Any updates? What was Gersons reply? Was there a difference in the "same" product from different vendors? I need a wider KF 495.
fabfriar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

Kb65single wrote:
Any updates? What was Gersons reply? Was there a difference in the "same" product from different vendors? I need a wider KF 495.

Gerson was great and sent me another rocker, but it was the same as the first, which makes sense when they are stamping them... I had found another post or two in the archives of people having this issue, so I figure my only path is to use the two rockers I have to make one rocker. I'll post some pics of how it goes when I get to it.
Kb65single
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

fabfriar wrote:
Kb65single wrote:

Gerson was great and sent me another rocker, but it was the same as the first, which makes sense when they are stamping them... I had found another post or two in the archives of people having this issue, so I figure my only path is to use the two rockers I have to make one rocker. I'll post some pics of how it goes when I get to it.

Thanks for the info. At least I know that there is no easy solution.
LAGrunthaner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:27 am    Post subject: Re: Single cab treasure chest rocker Reply with quote

Wow, looking forward to that.

fabfriar wrote:
Kb65single wrote:

www.mauiroadsters.com
http://www.oacdp.org
Lind wrote:
Have you considered simply starting with a nicer bus? I don't know what your skills are, but the race is easier if you can see the finish line. If you are not a runner, don't start off doing a marathon.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: