Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Struggling Finding An Engine Shop
Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EV_Porsche914
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2022 6:41 pm    Post subject: Struggling Finding An Engine Shop Reply with quote

Hey guys, I am really struggling to find a reputable engine supplier for my 914. Every time I find a shop that I think is worth giving a try, thesamba forums squash my hope with pages and pages of bad reviews from 10 years ago lol. The car is not a museum piece and spending 15,000 on a rebuilt long block just doesnt seem rational for a 1.7L stock long block. I would love some feedback or suggestions on good places to check out. I am a processional aircraft mechanic (aircooled and turbine) and would love to rebuild it myself but it seems nearly impossible to find any engine kits these days... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Struggling Finding An Engine Shop Reply with quote

Post your question in the Bay Window section since the motor is just a type 4 VW and those guys know type 4 motors.
Louii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling Finding An Engine Shop Reply with quote

I used Tangerine Racing in CT to rebuild my 1.7 and was very satisfied with the results and costs. He also replaced the fuel lines with stainless which gives me comfort for sure. Highly recommend Tangerine and the fuel line swap.
Wolfgangdieter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling Finding An Engine Shop Reply with quote

With your expertise I wouldn't hesitate to rebuild it. The 1.7L is the strongest base to use. Strong lower end and not as fussy with cracking of heads like 1.8/2.0L. Cams, gaskets, bearings, valves are all easily available. As are stock and oversized P&C. Consider finding a 2.0L crank to increase stroke from 66 to 71 mm. Get rid of the EFI cam if going to carbs. There videos available on it. Surprised some one didn't mention the shoptalkforums

https://shoptalkforums.com
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Struggling Finding An Engine Shop Reply with quote

we rebuild 914 engines daily currently have four in the works. Are you sure that your engine needs rebuilding? Maybe just cure some engine oil leaks and clean the oil cooler baffles?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 911/912/914 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: