Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

I'm looking for a master cylinder recommendation
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 2:35 pm    Post subject: I'm looking for a master cylinder recommendation Reply with quote

I've recently switched to 4 wheel disc brakes and I think my existing 3 port cylinder isn't enough. Can anyone recommend a suitable cylinder? It stops good but it seems as if the fronts are doing all of the work. I know the fronts should but it feels like the rears should be working a little harder.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a master cylinder recommendation Reply with quote

Your problem is not with the present master cylinder then, it's a front/rear brake balance issue. Changing out the master cylinder will not change that. There are a lot of factors that go into a balanced system.

Front/rear weight bias of the car - move around components like battery, fuel tanks etc. Not an easy thing to change.

Wheel cylinder area/braking surface swept area - this is the big one and requires either next to an engineering degree, the experiance of others or a lot of trial and error.

Tire diameters front vs rear - this is an easy thing to change and one I believe is highly overlooked. Taller tires make the brakes less effective and vice versa.

Two master cylinders and a balance bar - not cheap but this is the best way to change the brake balance when all else has been done that can be done practically and a final "tuning" is still needed. This is the route serious racers take.

Proportioning valves - a final tune can be made with these, nearly all auto manufacturers have gone this route but note: THEY ONLY EVER USE THEM ON THE REAR BRAKES. These allow full pressure up to a certain point then limit the pressure after that. It does work well in the rear but if used in the front it can produce unpredictable rear lock up and a spin out in a panic stopping situation. This is fine for off road only use (it's just your butt at stake here) but should not be used on the street in traffic.

My sand rail brakes are a bit rear bias right now. Bus rear drums and Beetle front drums. I was warned by others on here that going the disc route on the front on a rail would result in it being far too front biased so I went with drums. My next step now is to put shorter tires on the front and taller ones on the rear and try that. The bias valve I bought for the rear was a complete failure. It blocked ALL pressure to the rear.
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a master cylinder recommendation Reply with quote

I went with four wheel disc brakes and finally gave up on the standard M/C. I went with a dual master cylinder brake pedal set up with a remote front/rear bias adjuster. The idea is to adjust it one way for street use and the other way for off road use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bad_chopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a master cylinder recommendation Reply with quote

I did 4 wheel disk, used larger single piston front brakes from empi, 4 piston smaller rear disk, 30 inch front tires 33 inch rears its Ballanced ok. In a full panick stop the rears lock up a little to soon I could probably use a perportioning valve.
liquidrush
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a master cylinder recommendation Reply with quote

What MC assembly did you go with?

quote="Wulfthang"]I went with four wheel disc brakes and finally gave up on the standard M/C. I went with a dual master cylinder brake pedal set up with a remote front/rear bias adjuster. The idea is to adjust it one way for street use and the other way for off road use.[/quote]
Wulfthang
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a master cylinder recommendation Reply with quote

liquidrush wrote:
What MC assembly did you go with?

quote="Wulfthang"]I went with four wheel disc brakes and finally gave up on the standard M/C. I went with a dual master cylinder brake pedal set up with a remote front/rear bias adjuster. The idea is to adjust it one way for street use and the other way for off road use.
[/quote]
I used a dual M/C one from Latest rage. It came with the bias adjuster but I couldn't see myself climbing in headfirst to adjust it so I got the remote adjuster to go with it. Once I get it all hooked up, I'll go out to dirt road someplace and figure out the best settings for street versus trail.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JWHracing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a master cylinder recommendation Reply with quote

Your issue my not be proportioning, it may be that the master cylinder isn't supplying enough fluid volume to the calipers.

When I first put my Jamar 4 piston calipers on the rear, the stock dual circuit master was not enough to lock the brakes up, I had to pump them up to stop. Did the Latest Rage dual master brake pedal and a hydraulic clutch, and I can stop the car no problem. Added a balance bar adjuster knob and can adjust front to rear depending on the environment and situation you are in.

2021 STORR Pro Air Cooled Buggy Champion
2019 AZOP Unlimited Buggy Champion
2017 SADR 1300 Class Champion
2016 AZOP Limited Buggy Champion

Currently "retired" from racing
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: I'm looking for a master cylinder recommendation Reply with quote

Bear in mind that the larger you go on the master cylinder the higher the force it will take on the brake peddle to stop the car! Bigger is not always better, there is a middle ground that works best. Go too big and younger drivers and sometimes the ladies will not be able stop the car effectively.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: