Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS
Forum Index -> Eurovan Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

Hi,

Trying to resolve an ongoing issue on my van that's no longer charging. The battery light on the dash doesn't turn on with key on. Questions: With the blue wire unplugged from the alternator it shouldn't have any voltage, correct? And with the key on there should be 12+ volts at that wire?

TIA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

Well, I think the light goes on independent of the plug in. But I'm not sure. On earler Vws this was the case but these EV are clearly different. Mine (93 MV ) the red light is on even tho the alt is charging, I pulled offthe battery cable and it didn't stall and showed 14 volts when revved up.Why doesn't yours charge? U can check w a voltmeter. Good luck Bill I'm PR till spring
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

Thanks for the response. My van is charging but the exciter (blue wire) isn't doing what it's supposed to. I have no dash battery indicator light, so I'm still trying to find the cause. I'm speculating it's a bad ground, bad connection or a break in the wire somewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Zeitgeist 13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

Is the van throwing a code? If the light isn't coming on when you turn on the ignition, then that sounds more like you have a problem with the cluster.

'89 Bluestar ALH w/12mm Waldo pump, PP764 and GT2052
'01 Weekender --> full camper
y u rune klassik?
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

Now that you mention it I'm going to run an autoscan to see if anything comes up. Thanks.
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

Would anyone happen to know the route that the "blue wire" is from the alternator? I've got 14 volts engine running but have to hit the gas pedal to get that to happen. No battery light on dash with key on. Trying to chase down the problem but can't see where that wire goes from the alternator.
volkybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

Is your battery discharging? If it isn't it may only your charging lite burned out or disconnected. If it's discharging the battery maybe your voltage reg is on the way out. Good luck and let's us know what happened. We forum readers are a curious bunch Bill in PR
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

@volky,
No, not discharging but when I start the van it doesn't charge until I rev the engine. No battery light in dash with KOEO so there's still a problem with the exciter circuit. Still need to trace the blue wire but it's been too cold to mess with it. I still use the van but would like to get it resolved.
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

@volky,
No, not discharging but when I start the van it doesn't charge until I rev the engine. No battery light in dash with KOEO so there's still a problem with the exciter circuit. Still need to trace the blue wire but it's been too cold to mess with it. I still use the van but would like to get it resolved.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

Did you find a solution?

The other day, I was driving home from a trip and noticed the battery light kind of flickering for a couple minutes. It went out eventually, but later other electriclal components started acting funny- AC fan speed wouldn't stay set, and the lights for the ABS, Airbag, and traction control all came on. I think as their computers no longer had sufficient power.

Shortly after, the engine finally died.

Wife jumped me, and we attempted to hook up another battery in through the fuse box-that had worked on a Corrado I used to have. Didn't work well this time, until I ran the jumper cables from the Van's battery into the window and to the spare battery inside.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

My van is charging but only when I rev it up after starting. Still haven't resolved the issue with the with the exciter circuit.
MrPulldown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

jimbomitch wrote:
My van is charging but only when I rev it up after starting. Still haven't resolved the issue with the with the exciter circuit.

From what I have read they all do that.

I know mine does.
vwwestyman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

I have had some VWs that only would charge after the engine is revved, but it seems like they were all only 80's era. My older VWs start charging right away. My 1990 Corrado started charging right away, I'm certain. My '02 Golf charged right away and until just now, my '03 Eurovan did.

I guess I didn't pay much attention to whether or not my battery light was coming on with the key prior to this. Nor, as I'm writing this, can I say for certain that the thing was charging prior to revving! I guess I assumed it did as I wrote that above because I didn't note the battery light being on until revving. But if it was never coming on with the key on, perhaps I was just not aware!

Jimbomitch, are you assuming it doesn't charge until revved because you're watching the voltage jump only after revving it? Because your battery light hasn't worked properly in some time?

I've only noticed my battery light one way or another the other day when I saw it flickering for a few minutes before going out altogether shortly before the battery ran out and the Van died.

I have a new voltage regulator ordered, so we'll see how things go with that. I pulled the old one out Sunday night and noted that the brushes were very worn, so I'm hopeful that a new one will fix the problem.

I do have 14v coming from the blue wire when the ignition is turned on. Do we know for sure that the voltage is supposed to travel through the bulb on these newer models, like it does in the older ones? Because I thought it odd that I didn't see the light but did get the voltage with key on.

President, Wild Westerner Club

1978 Champagne Edition Westy, repowered to '97 Jetta TDI
1973 Wild Westerner
My Thing
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

MrPulldown wrote:
jimbomitch wrote:

From what I have read they all do that.

I know mine does.

They all self excite but at startup there's not enough revs for that to happen, hence the D+ input to excite it at startup.
jimbomitch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Charging Trouble Shooting 2000 GLS Reply with quote

Quote:
Jimbomitch, are you assuming it doesn't charge until revved because you're watching the voltage jump only after revving it? Because your battery light hasn't worked properly in some time?

I have a voltage indicator that plugs into cigarette light/power outlet to monitor output. My van has remote start but because of the exciter circuit not working the van shuts off after a few seconds upon startup. That's the main reason I'd like to get it resolved. The battery light hasn't been working for quite awhile now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Eurovan All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: