Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

checking dwell
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
pop.pop1955
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:54 am    Post subject: checking dwell Reply with quote

I just replaced pts. cond. cap and rotor on my 71 super beetle. I wanted to check the dwell and timing. however when I hook up the timing light/ dwell meter the car stalls. If I hook it up and try to start the car it won't start. Otherwise the car runs and sounds good. Any thoughts?
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: checking dwell Reply with quote

pop.pop1955 wrote:
I just replaced pts. cond. cap and rotor on my 71 super beetle. I wanted to check the dwell and timing. however when I hook up the timing light/ dwell meter the car stalls. If I hook it up and try to start the car it won't start. Otherwise the car runs and sounds good. Any thoughts?

Let's assume that you have positive meter cable on positive, negative cable on negative - and feed cable to the NEGATIVE terminal #1 on the coil. If all that is correct, and still stalls, I might try the meter on a different older vehicle. If that doesn't work as well, likely something with the meter, and I'd just rely on the points gap to be 0.016 inches as you measured with your feeler gauge - like we did this in the old days when we couldn't afford a dwell meter !!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
cletus_zuber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: checking dwell Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This side of the road method works great.
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: checking dwell Reply with quote

OMG - typed on a real typewriter !!!!
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: checking dwell Reply with quote

You need to describe how you have your light/meter connected. I suspect one of two issues:
    1) The meter is grounding the #1 (-) terminal of the ignition coil. This would prevent the coil from firing. This is probably and indicator of a bad meter.

2) You are powering your light/meter from the ignition coil #15 (+) terminal. While this may be the most convenient point to get 12v+ From, any additional devices connected here take current away from the ignition coil. Over time the wire to the ignition coil increases internal resistance and limits the current that will make it to the ignition coil. All the devices connected to the #15 terminal must share this limited amount of current.
    This used to happen on my old ‘75. Engine would run but as soon as I triggered the timing light you would hear the rpms drop and eventually the engine would die. This was the timing light pulling current away from the coil and weakening the spark that made it to the spark plugs.

Try a different power source for the timing light. If you have an alternator, the B+ terminal is the same as connecting to the battery + terminal. Worse case, use your battery jumper cables to extend the battery terminals to the engine compartment where you can connect the timing light to the other end.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
BMFBMF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: checking dwell Reply with quote

In the motorcycle world one always uses a second battery to power the timing light. There are too many potential problematic interactions.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: checking dwell Reply with quote

BMFBMF wrote:
In the motorcycle world one always uses a second battery to power the timing light. There are too many potential problematic interactions.
Beetle engines suffer from this problem because the battery is not in the engine compartment. Most (but not all) other cars have the battery in or near the engine compartment where it can be used while setting the ignition timing. Tapping the battery to power the timing light is the best source. Having a spare 12v battery, even a drycell 12v battery is convenient, but usually not required. Last time we timed the ignition my buddy rolled his motorcycle up so we could use its battery as a power source.
raydog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: checking dwell Reply with quote

Yes, direct from the battery is the best and easiest source for power. With my VW, I have always tapped power at the D+ generator terminal or the 12v source at the coil. Any downfall to doing it this way? Although I did get whacked twice with ignition voltage that sent me on my ass. I chalked it up to being a metal timing light with a bad ground. I still have a small scar on my knee from when I hit the curb.
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: checking dwell Reply with quote

raydog wrote:
Yes, direct from the battery is the best and easiest source for power. With my VW, I have always tapped power at the D+ generator terminal or the 12v source at the coil. Any downfall to doing it this way?

As described above… old wires with high resistance will limit the amount of current that can reach the end of the black #15 wire that powers the ignition coil. If there is just enough to power the coil and other devices powered from the wire (eg. idle cutoff solenoid, choke, reverse lights) any additional devices drawing current will draw that current away from the ignition coil; reducing the power available to spark the spark plugs.

raydog wrote:
Although I did get whacked twice with ignition voltage that sent me on my ass. I chalked it up to being a metal timing light with a bad ground. I still have a small scar on my knee from when I hit the curb.

Normally getting a shock from the ignition system (10,000v+) means there is a gap in the plug wire insulation. Even a small crack in the insulation can allow a spark to jump from the wire to any grounded item… like your hand/arm. As a test for this, ground one end of a wire and pass the striped other end along the length of the spark plug wire. You might even fashion a loop that you can pass around the plug wire. Do this in the evening when you can turn off the lights and more easily see sparks jumping from the spark plug wires to the striped end. Some will also spray water around the wires as another way to offer an alternate path for sparks.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: