Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

CV joints came off trans--damaged flange?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: CV joints came off trans--damaged flange? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
well that's a $100+bux that a file/dremel can do for darn near free..
Think

I would be worried about all the threads holding if they failed once already.
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: CV joints came off trans--damaged flange? Reply with quote

they didn't fail all the threads..
most of them backed out on their own volition
the last 1 or 2 that backed out would possibly have the last (first) threads maybe buggered but that's (usually) very easy to correct with a simple (cheap) M8 thread chaser/tap.

certainly I'd get NEW BOLTS
and clean the grease out of the threads with a solvent & Q-tips.

but not $100+ for a flange.. Not talking

and recheck them in ~40 miles Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TomWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: CV joints came off trans--damaged flange? Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
they didn't fail all the threads..
most of them backed out on their own volition
the last 1 or 2 that backed out would possibly have the last (first) threads maybe buggered but that's (usually) very easy to correct with a simple (cheap) M8 thread chaser/tap.

certainly I'd get NEW BOLTS
and clean the grease out of the threads with a solvent & Q-tips.

but not $100+ for a flange.. Not talking

and recheck them in ~40 miles Wink

X2
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: CV joints came off trans--damaged flange? Reply with quote

I would replace that flange...if its bent.

As others have noted, clean it up well. Before expending effort and time wit ha dremel, put a dial indicator on the mating flange.

Heck...in reality you could just vice grip a rod, drill bit, stick or even a pencil close by. Put it contact with the mating surface and turn the flange through 380*. If its not bent....see how clean and deburred you an get it with a dremel.

Put a new bolt into the stretched out thread hole and make sure its straight...meaning make sure the threads in the bore have not been bent out of alignment.

If all of that is good...it "can" be just fine.

Of course it may just be simpler to get another one and keep the one you have as a spare.

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dodger tom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: CV joints came off trans--damaged flange? Reply with quote

had my driver’s outside cv FALL OFF while driving on CA 49 going up hill on the way out of coloma. had to wait to let others pass, then backed up until there was a shoulder. a guy across the road was working on his baja bug, and lent me his floor jack while he stood down the hill a little to wave at oncoming cars to slow them down. two bolts were still there and one had broken off. i got some spare bolts from under the passenger seat, and got five bolted in. gave the baja guy $20 for parts for his bug as thanks.

my brother is a dentist, and lives in coloma. at his house we removed the hub. went to his dental office where he cut a slot in the broken stud with his drill, and backed it out with a screwdriver. went back to his house, put it together, and drove to montana.

thread NEW bolts more than halfway into the hub without the cv joint. wiggle them to see whether the threads are compromised. if not, they should be fine. and, as jetfxr69 said, a little blue loctite couldn’t hurt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joints came off trans--damaged flange? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
Think

If they can take the tightening torque they would probably be okay, especially if one is using the Vanagon torque spec of 33 ft*lbs.

The important thing is that the mating surface has no high spots. High spots will flatten over time leaving the bolts loose. Low spots are okay so long as the outer race of the CV runs true. Any crap left between the two mating surfaces is bad as well.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joints came off trans--damaged flange? Reply with quote

SGKent wrote:
danfromsyr wrote:
Think

If they can take the tightening torque they would probably be okay, especially if one is using the Vanagon torque spec of 33 ft*lbs.

The important thing is that the mating surfaces have no high spots. High spots will flatten over time leaving the bolts loose. Low spots are okay so long as the outer race of the CV runs true. Any crap left between the two mating surfaces is bad as well.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: CV joints came off trans--damaged flange? Reply with quote

Colin did a nice writeup too, including the difficulties of the new style seals being peddled:

https://www.itinerant-air-cooled.com/viewtopic.php?t=10203
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
brownbus2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: CV joints came off trans--damaged flange? Reply with quote

What is the preferred dremmel bit to use to grind the flange? I dont often use my dremmel.
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: CV joints came off trans--damaged flange? Reply with quote

I’d start with an orange stone. Sometimes a reinforced cutting wheel can help, but I think the stone should work. It’s hard steel so use a medium high speed and light pressure, letting the stone do the work not your hand pressure.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: