Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

I’m back in the marina in about 4 hours.

I’ll photo a picture of fuel tank chafe before noon. Marine tanks are a lot thicker than the cheap crappy jugs you get at Walmart from the low bidder.

Here you go

Customer complained of fuel smell in cabin. Tank corner had rubbed against fiberglass wall in tank locker

I refused job as licker was not sealed to AYBC specs, s had no vapor drain, no mounts and tie downs, and customer was d***

I wrote him a memo documenting his yacht was manifestly unsafe and my insurance company which will cc his. I hope he only hurts himself if he continues to boat with this.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Last edited by Abscate on Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
AndyBees
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

kublerwagen wrote:
For those stashing fuel underneath how often do you check it and replace it? I have pondered such an arrangement but would want to use it up fairly often.

Similar thoughts here too.

If I did a set-up for extra fuel storage, I'd considering using a pump transfer. Of course, such a set-up would require some fairly sophisticated plumbing, pump(s), venting and a means to determine the level in the auxiliary tank. It could be set-up for simultaneous usage or merely as emergency use only, or both with valves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

If you have a spare tank use Stabil in it and every six months empty it into your regular tank and refill. Easy peasy....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

If you really want to be prepared repeat furrylittleotter's 40 gallon fuel tank (sadly the pics are MIA). He could be an odd duck on occasion but his van had some of the best mods ever.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Abscate wrote:
That’s a soft polyethylene based tank highly susceptible to chafe damage. Careful where you put that and how it mounts.

And metal cans are subject to rust and can burst a seam if crushed...

Which is why my metal can is only in service for the few weeks/maybe a month each
year we're on a real roadtrip. Emptied, dried, a touch of fogging oil sprayed inside &
stored dry in the garage the other 11 months keeps it ready for next time. I'm VERY
comfortable with this setup & the minimal maintenance required.

Certainly any type of can could burst a seam &/or be crushed...do your diligence, inspect
regularly and don't be shy about replacing anything that looks suspicious or possibly
nearing the end of it's service life. With just $35 invested, I won't think twice about
ditching this can when the time comes. Spend your money where/how you want.

I took the subject of this thread to be short-term gas transport in certain situations.
All-day every day full time is a somewhat different matter. Either way, Discuss... Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:20 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

Wildthings you may be thinking of the [url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rokon_(motorcycle_manufacturer)]Rokon 2wd motorcycle[/url]. They are archaic yet still being built/sold today. I recall that the tires could be used to carry water, I’ve never heard fuel. That archaic 2wd doesn’t look like it goes real far, it would be quite a chore to use up the existing tank. I would think that gasoline would attack tire rubber and destroy it quickly. Also wouldn’t Fuel-in-tires be well-tested and popular with (the classical) overlanders?

kublerwagen wrote:
For those stashing fuel underneath how often do you check it and replace it? I have pondered such an arrangement but would want to use it up fairly often.

I have not started my process yet.
I intend to replace the gas once a year whether I run out or not. Wink 1 year is no problem for ethanol. My snowmobiles sit for a year and start readily. I think you just have to be careful to avoid mixing ethanol (which can suspend water) and “pure gas” which lets the water drop to the bottom. I’d just keep it 100% ethanol and it will be fine.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
alaskadan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

Rokons seem like they would be fun for a little while. The extra tanks are the wheels no fuel or water touches the inside of the tires. Essentially aluminum drums with an axle through the middle and a tire on it.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2018 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Wildthings you may be thinking of the [url=https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rokon_(motorcycle_manufacturer)]Rokon 2wd motorcycle[/url]. They are archaic yet still being built/sold today.

Yes I think this is what the guy was talking about. Our county apparently has one for use on its extensive trail system. Because of its awkward behavior only two or three people are ever are ever allowed to use it. I don't think they have a super good reputation for safety.

https://www.facebook.com/Rokon2x2/photos/a.650669291643477/1848389485204779/?type=3&theater

From the Rokon website "Hollow drum wheels can provide floatation or space for up to 2.5 gallons of extra fuel or water"

Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink .
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

Think of a pothole I missed seeing while out last night at oh-dark-thirty. Thinking of the bang from hitting it, the notion of doing that with any manner of flammable fluid in my tires... high, very high pucker factor. Shocked Shocked Shocked
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

RBEmerson wrote:
Think of a pothole I missed seeing while out last night at oh-dark-thirty. Thinking of the bang from hitting it, the notion of doing that with any manner of flammable fluid in my tires... high, very high pucker factor. Shocked Shocked Shocked

Yes but if one is a day's ride away from a road in the desert having one tire filled with gasoline and another filled with water could be the difference between survival and death.
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

What about this stuff?

http://www.mymagictank.com/shop/

Seems like its pricey at apx $40/gallon but also seems to solve a lot of the concerns that have come up on this thread. No need to buy a container, mount a container, or fabricate a tank and a few could be kept lashed between the frame rails, or up on the roof.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
RBEmerson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
RBEmerson wrote:

Yes but if one is a day's ride away from a road in the desert having one tire filled with gasoline and another filled with water could be the difference between survival and death.
Well, it can be argued a popped rim could end in the difference between survival and not. Water isn't good for gas/petroleum fires. Smile
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

Quote:
I intend to replace the gas once a year whether I run out or not. Wink 1 year is no problem for ethanol. My snowmobiles sit for a year and start readily. I think you just have to be careful to avoid mixing ethanol (which can suspend water) and “pure gas” which lets the water drop to the bottom. I’d just keep it 100% ethanol and it will be fine.

Im confused

You can't run pure ethanol in any car in this Forum, and mixing ethanol gas and pure gas will give you 5% ethanol gas, roughly.
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Steve M. wrote:
Wildthings wrote:
Just heard of a rig where extra gasoline is stored in the tires, about 2 gallons can be stored in each of its two tires. Kind of a grownups minibike but with power to both wheels. Apparently quite the thrill when you alternate between braking and throttle on a down hill.

Somehow me thinks it's going to be a pita getting out and into the fuel tank! 😧

From what the guy told me it sounds like a whole lot about this rig was a PITA, seems it was originally designed back in the forties or fifties and hasn't seen much upgrading since. Says it is extremely useful though as it will carry a goodly load at 20 mph into areas where only hikers and pack animals can otherwise go.

Is it a Rokon?

https://www.rokon.com/bikes/trail-breaker

EDIT/// It is a rokon, I've seen a few around here, but I've never seen them out in the mountains/on trails...

Abscate wrote:
Quote:

Im confused

You can't run pure ethanol in any car in this Forum, and mixing ethanol gas and pure gas will give you 5% ethanol gas, roughly.

I think there was some typoing in there.

I'd happily leave "pure gas" in a can for a year, even 2, but I would not do the same with %10 ethanol fuel. I can get non ethanol premium gas a mile from my house, but I know a lot of people can't :-/

Gas struts to pop your top easily!

Pop Top strut kits now available for late Bay window Westies Smile

Samba ad here.

DIY artificial rain gutters (ARGs)
DanHoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

while all y'all worry about gas cans, i carry a few of these in the glove box. just add water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_pill

'87 Westy & '89 Westy both 2.1 4spd

Past projects can be found at--
www.thefixitworkshop.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

DanHoug wrote:
while all y'all worry about gas cans, i carry a few of these in the glove box. just add water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_pill

Water weights more than gasoline and at times is far more precious. Even if the pills work one might well have no net gain. Crying or Very sad

Maybe try The Pill with some HHO gas and get double your gas mileage while you are at it. Wink
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

jackbombay wrote:

Is it a Rokon?

EDIT/// It is a rokon, I've seen a few around here, but I've never seen them out in the mountains/on trails...

Zombie thread revival, I was looking for ways to store gas on my soon to be mine Vanagon... but I also owned a Rokon. You don't gas in the tires, but the wheels. Although they usually talk about carrying water in it. It was super fun.
Pics of a rokon on the trails:
https://www.instagram.com/p/COd-jSyhN0u/
https://www.instagram.com/p/COd-Kpchnsz/
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

indianpeaksjoe wrote:
jackbombay wrote:

Is it a Rokon?

Zombie thread revival, I was looking for ways to store gas on my soon to be mine Vanagon... but I also owned a Rokon. You don't gas in the tires, but the wheels. Although they usually talk about carrying water in it. It was super fun.
Pics of a rokon on the trails:
https://www.instagram.com/p/COd-jSyhN0u/
https://www.instagram.com/p/COd-Kpchnsz/

What is the difference between putting gas in the tires and the wheels?

Wonder if they have a Darien model? Might be fun and get a gang together and do a Terra de Fuego to the North Slope trip on Rokons.
vanis13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

mechanically - loss of suspension of aired tires, fuel leak with a flat

chemically - rubber/fuel incompatibility

www.SuperVanagon.com - some stuff I make

Last edited by vanis13 on Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Spare gas for "in the middle of nowhere" driving Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:

My guess would be that since you run the tires with super low pressure like 0-4 PSI in sand and snow there is a chance of burping the tire. Then there is the chance of a puncture.

Cheers,
-Joe
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: