Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:10 pm    Post subject: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

I'm losing it. Seems I just need a book/manual in front me to stay on track or in procedural order. Forgot more than I learned it seems.
Anyway since the drive gear IS properly set, the problem is that the condenser hits the fuel lines before the distributor can be spun around to right timing. Switching the lower cam 180° does not look to solve it. It's the common svda ( cip) clone. Moving wires did not seem to clearl it. I have it set to max 30-31 at mechanical limit w/hose plugged but it falls to 10-11° btdc idle and runs crappy. I want to see what 5-7.5 ° does. Also noting that the vac advance goes up to 38° at 3600 rpm.

Maybe I just really need a nap, just confusing,lol.
Chip Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Sounds like you just need to reindex the drive until you can adjust the timing to where you want it. "Proper" isn't always right. Pull that drive, move it a tooth or two, make sure it is set all the way down, put the distributor back in the hole, fire it up and adjust timing to the sweet spot.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Can you mount the condenser on another screw?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

So simply put, should I just pull up the drive and turn it Counter-Clockwise 2 teeth only? I have to check if it is possible to move condenser over. It's nuts because I just installed the same svda on my bug and had no issues with fit.Dont know why.
BFB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Had that happen before too. Just rotate the dizzy to where your happy and set a new #1 for the cap, whether its the next one to the right or left doesn’t matter as long as it fires at TDC for #1 one the cap. That’s a lot easier than pulling the drive and risking dropping shims
An interesting thing happens in forums where everyone starts parroting the same thing and "common knowledge" takes over.
“ The monkey see monkey do mentality seems to run deep in VW people. "Gene Berg said it was so 30 years ago so thats the way it is" “ - bdkw1
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

^Yes BFB, I am surely aware of that. It's what is driving me nuts,why isn't it working?
Set pulley to 7.5 btdc, verify at valves ,#3
Set up static timing light
Rotate dist clockwise till light goes out,
Rotate dist counterclockwise till light comes on...stop the when light just goes out
Rotate clockwise till just comes on, lock dist down
Wires clockwise 1,4,3,2 from TDC rotor position
Confirm and set with strobe light
I'm missing something somewhere , it's not working. Strong cranking, no firing..
When I had it running, the timing was far advanced to 65°+ at 3k rpm. Thus the need to turn dist so far.
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:

Set pulley to 7.5 btdc, verify at valves ,#3

Why #3? Unless I'm understanding you wrong, At TDC, #1 both valves should be closed.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Turn crank back and forth, both #3 Rockers move like tapping fingers.
vwtrey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

2type2 wrote:
Turn crank back and forth, both #3 Rockers move like tapping fingers.

Understood, same same
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Take a breath. I know of no distributor that can't be indexed within 44 degrees no matter were the drive gear sits. Unless you have a retarded #3 any hole in the cap can fire any spark plug. Turn your distributor to a spot that allows the most movement without interference, make sure your on #1 compression. Which ever hole the rotor points closest to is now the number 1 plug. Clockwise on the distributor go 4,3,2.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Yes you can set the distributor anywhere you want and re-arrange the wires in the cap to suit but... be aware that there is a splash oiling hole in the distributor base for the distributor shaft bushing that needs to line up with a cut out in the engine case.

I recently re-positioned the distributor on my sand rail to get the vacuum pot away from the heat of the exhaust on my custom exhaust system. That put the oil hole 180* off target so I just drilled a new hole on the other side of the distributor base shank to line up with the cut out in the case.
2type2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Thanks for all, 44° is plenty of leeway, or it should be.Appreciate the replies. I know what I'm doing and what is what , how it's supposed to done, have done it before without issue. This time something is screwing up the mojo. I am going to get back on it as soon as my brain is ready....starting from scratch at the very beginning. Got totally frustrated so I left it.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
Yes you can set the distributor anywhere you want and re-arrange the wires in the cap to suit but... be aware that there is a splash oiling hole in the distributor base for the distributor shaft bushing that needs to line up with a cut out in the engine case.

I recently re-positioned the distributor on my sand rail to get the vacuum pot away from the heat of the exhaust on my custom exhaust system. That put the oil hole 180* off target so I just drilled a new hole on the other side of the distributor base shank to line up with the cut out in the case.
Yes non cast iron distributors have a oil hole. Bob Hoover mentions hot distributors because of wrong drive indexing.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

All the stock distributors I have on the shelf have the oil hole, they are all aluminum bodied ones. Heck even the Pertronics III one does! Just one cheap Chinese unit that doesn't.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
All the stock distributors I have on the shelf have the oil hole, they are all aluminum bodied ones. Heck even the Pertronics III one does! Just one cheap Chinese unit that doesn't.
So you have nothing from 1965 or older?
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

I have an 034 original dist, (vac and mech), rebuilt by one the vendors here, and there is no way the hole and slot on these could be for oiling, as the cutout in the case is on the other side. It must be a vent, and wasnt on earlier distributors.
bsairhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

chrisflstf wrote:
I have an 034 original dist, (vac and mech), rebuilt by one the vendors here, and there is no way the hole and slot on these could be for oiling, as the cutout in the case is on the other side. It must be a vent, and wasnt on earlier distributors.
If your drive is set right your dog is 180 degrees off.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
chrisflstf wrote:

^^^This!^^^
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

bsairhead wrote:
oprn wrote:
So you have nothing from 1965 or older?

Now that I think of it, yes I do have an old cast iron one in the hay shed somewhere off a 40 HP if I recall.
chrisflstf
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Distributor drive set proper, but can't spin svda way to adjust Reply with quote

Quote:

The drive dog position doesnt have anything to do with the location of this hole/slot in the distributor housing. With a vacuum can , you can not physically rotate so the hole/slot is lined up with the cutout in the case.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: