Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Battery draining
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
72pinky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:47 am    Post subject: Battery draining Reply with quote

Hey guys I’m new to this so quick question. My 72 beetle battery was dead and I got a new one had it only for 3 weeks and it’s completely dead again. What could be the problem? Any suggestions would be appreciated:)[/s]
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Battery draining Reply with quote

Parasite drain.

Get an amp meter connected in series to the battery, then start pulling fuses. Or even a simple buzzer. They sell a “short circuit” buzzer kit.

Here you go. I have used one of these for 35 years!
https://www.amazon.com/Tool-Aid-25300-Circuit-Dete...mp;sr=8-19

If you have an Alternator, it may be worth disconnecting it over night to see if that is the issue. One of those Diodes could be defective.

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery draining Reply with quote

Generator or alternator?

Fully recharge your battery and then confirm the at rest voltage reading at the battery. It should be at least 12.6v for a fully charged battery.
Start the engine, rev to 2100rpm and take a voltage reading at the battery terminals. A working charging system should read 13.8v+ at the battery.

Take the readings and report back what you find.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery draining Reply with quote

could be a loose fan belt
VW Wiring = It's just wires
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery draining Reply with quote

Did this just start and what kind of radio is installed.
vwoldbug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery draining Reply with quote

Did this just start and what kind of radio is installed.
Tom K.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery draining Reply with quote

Have you been driving the car the past 3 weeks? Or has it been sitting? If you've been driving it, then I would check the charging system (generator/alternator, voltage regulator (if generator), and wire contacts. If it has been sitting for the past three weeks, then something is draining your battery. That happened to me one time. It was my radio that was left on
'65 Ghia: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=762478&highlight=
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Battery draining Reply with quote

I can let a vehicle sit at least 2 months and it will start right up.
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
FlyAU98
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Battery draining Reply with quote

My odd battery drain turned out to be a faulty brake light switch (in the master cylinder). It didn't become apparent until I switched to LED brake light bulbs and one of them would always faintly glow...
Jimbug57
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Battery draining Reply with quote

I have a method I use to track down parasitic drain. First disconnect the radio if it has an always on power connection. Then I remove all the fuses and tap the ground strap from the battery on top of the negative post on the battery - with the ignition off. There should be no sparks. Add 1 fuse at a time and check for sparks by tapping the ground again. Add fuses and tap until you find the circuit that sparks - that's where the short is.

And remember sparks near a battery is dangerous so proceed at your own risk.
runamoc Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Battery draining Reply with quote

Jimbug57 wrote:
I have a method I use to track down parasitic drain. First disconnect the radio if it has an always on power connection. Then I remove all the fuses and tap the ground strap from the battery on top of the negative post on the battery - with the ignition off. There should be no sparks. Add 1 fuse at a time and check for sparks by tapping the ground again. Add fuses and tap until you find the circuit that sparks - that's where the short is.

I can't think of anything to say that would be nice about this advice
VW Wiring = It's just wires
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Battery draining Reply with quote

runamoc wrote:
Jimbug57 wrote:

I can't think of anything to say that would be nice about this advice

I can. Except the “sparks”. Voltage spikes are a serious event that can wipe out solid state devices in a split second! Stop tapping that cable end and get a light bulb in series! It will glow if current flows!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: