Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ghiavert72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: New member Reply with quote

We are taking the plunge, my wife had a convertible Ghia in the 80's and wants another. Aquiring someone else project this weekend (74 convertible). Wish me luck, the best part about her wanting this car is maybe she will stop complaining about my non-running jeep collection.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

Luck.

Rust repair is a killer.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

74 red Ghia wrote:
We are taking the plunge, my wife had a convertible Ghia in the 80's and wants another. Aquiring someone else project this weekend (74 convertible). Wish me luck, the best part about her wanting this car is maybe she will stop complaining about my non-running jeep collection.

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can offer.

Welcome to the Ghia Forum...we have the experience here to steer you through the potential pit-falls.

A little light reading from others who have taken the same path: Ghia Restorations – For Instruction and Inspiration
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

Welcome to TheSamba Ghia forum. You won't find a better place for helpful support. Can't wait to see pictures of your 74 Ghia.

Previously Owned:
2011 VW EOS Hard Top Conv
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghiavert72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

We elected to pass on the restoration project as I already have 2 jeeps and a pickup in progress and she wants a driver. Pursuing the red 73 vert listed in the classifieds from Beverly Hills Car Club. Have an inspection scheduled for Monday and yes I saw the crap repair on the pans but that can be fixed. We could not see and end in sight for the projec car as paint jobs were above budget and the lead time too long.

Any feedback on dealer and vehicle is appreciated, I saw mixed reviews on Google.
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

BHCC is hit and miss. They actually do have good cars in their inventory occasionally, but they also sell alot of crap. And their prices are really high. Inspections in person are mandatory with whatever they're selling.

Post the listing. We're more than happy to tear the car apart here in the forum and tell you everything that's wrong with it Smile

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

This car?
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2555741

I guarantee you those rockers are rusty and full of bondo. There should be two panel seams in the rockers under each door, as well as a small circle in the rocker in front of the rear wheels, which is the cover for the rear torsion bar access. The rocker panel seams and torsion covers are missing on both sides of the car, and that only happens when they get slathered with bondo, usually because they're rusty.
Properly repairing this requires welding in new metal, and that will also require paint, which it sounds like you don't want to do. The rockers are crucial to the structural integrity of the convertibles.

Previously owned:
98 Porsche Boxster, silver, 2.5L -- 67 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1500sp -- 98 BMW Z3, Atlanta Blue Metallic, 2.8L I6 -- 75 Porsche 914, Laguna Blue, 2270cc -- 72 Porsche 914, Signal Orange, 1.7 FI -- 74 Karmann Ghia, Black, 1600dp -- 74 Triumph TR6 with O.D., sapphire blue
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:18 pm    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

Turd venders.
They have a horrible rep in the Porsche world. They are flippers. I’d stick to buying someaning off the Samba from an individual.

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1963 stretched double cab
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
1967 21 window less rusty now
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:
Turd venders.
They have a horrible rep in the Porsche world. They are flippers. I’d stick to buying someaning off the Samba from an individual.

Agreed.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

I can't comment on the dealer, but the pictures of that car just don't look good. It doesn't take an in person inspection to see that something is just not right with the body. Take your time and be patient. Nice cars at reasonable prices do come around. But I really think this car has lots of hidden problems.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

68 Ghia Vert Survivor with 22,350 miles: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=768107&highlight=
71 Ghia Vert Restoration: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=726710&postorder=asc
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghiavert72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

That's the listing. Thank you for the feedback, the car came out of PA. The points about the torsion bar access hole and seams being gone missed me completely.

MY step dad had a 73 or 74. He called it the pumpkin because it was orange and I remember the torsion bar openings were plugged with a black plug that I assume was rubber. He married my mom late in life so I never rode in the car, but I remember the black plugs. Both he and the car are gone now.

Last edited by Ghiavert72 on Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:57 am; edited 1 time in total
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

74 red Ghia wrote:
That's the listing.
Thank you for the feedback, the car came out of PA. The points about the torsion bar access hole and seams being gone missed me completely.

Yes it does need a trained eye. We're very "fortunate" here to have several who have fallen in the past but fortunate they don't want anyone else to fall. Make sure you post any prospective purchase here before committing your money. Smile
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
Ghiavert72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

We hired Malcom Buckeridge to do a pre-purchase inspection that I will participate in via FaceTime. It's already paid for so I will see what he finds.

I ws a little leery about using an inspector that was recommended by the dealer but have limited resources in the area. I know the pan repairs are not the best but we can have that addressed if we decide to go through with the purchase. I have not committed anything except paying Malcom for his inspection.

Will keep you up to date on his report, according to the BHCC mechanics the only thing wrong is the license plate light doesn't work and the engine cover doesn't latch. Can anyone say bent body panels and use it in a sentence? I saw a lot of interior mods, shifter, window cranks, pedals and door panels that aren't stock but she wants a good looking driver, not a show car that lives in the garage and only gets driven to car shows.
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

This one looks pretty good in the few pix he posted, might be worth pursuing.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2519548

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Ghiavert72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

Braukuche wrote:

The car in the link is SOLD

Had the car inspected today, pan repair was nothing more than sheet metal and screws, the rockers were all bondo, paint was starting to bubble and when I had him pull the carpet back the passenger side heater channel was simply rusted completely away. Also it was only running on 3 cylinders. You guys were spot on with your initial assessment. So the search continues.

Does anyone have a reputable body shop on the east coast that can replace the heater channels and paint a project vehicle we were considering? This project car has been taken part, media blasted and primed so there are no surprises here, just a lot of work.
PeteSC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

Here's a presentable orange '71, that so far is at a fair price (auction closes in 40 minutes).

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-volkswagen-karmann-ghia-27/

Personally I'd forgo buying someone else's project. Welding and paint is going to cost a good bit, and so will reassmebly, unless you're planning to do that yourself, then it'll just cost you lots of free time.

Buy the nicest car you can afford.
Marcdeb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

As to the engine lid not latching, that is a very common thing with Karmann Ghias and doesn't mean anything. It's to prevent an accidental "lock out" situation. It happened to me and trust me, you don't want to be in that situation. Once you get a Ghia, you'll find several threads here with some different ideas on fail safe ways to prevent that from happening. The easiest of which is to just simply remove the pin on the lid so it can't lock. The lid stays down all by itself without having to be latched, but there are better options.

Previously Owned:
2008 Saab 9-3 2.0T Conv
2003 Saab 9-3 SE Conv
2001 Saab 9-3 Conv
1998 BMW 3 Series Conv
1997 Saab 900 Conv
1997 Mazda Miata

Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

74 red Ghia wrote:
Braukuche wrote:

The car in the link is SOLD

Had the car inspected today, pan repair was nothing more than sheet metal and screws, the rockers were all bondo, paint was starting to bubble and when I had him pull the carpet back the passenger side heater channel was simply rusted completely away. Also it was only running on 3 cylinders. You guys were spot on with your initial assessment. So the search continues.

Does anyone have a reputable body shop on the east coast that can replace the heater channels and paint a project vehicle we were considering? This project car has been taken part, media blasted and primed so there are no surprises here, just a lot of work.

Damn! It was still for sale when I posted, wonder if someone else on this thread saw it and grabbed it up!

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Braukuche
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

Another possibility. Desirable year, looks sort of half asses but without lots of pictures it’s hard to tell the level of the work.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2531262

Retirement is here!
1956 Ghia
1959 SO-23 Westfalia
1960 double cab
1960 Baja Bug
1962 Golde sunroof Ghia
1963 356 B coupe
1963 Notchback
Era Vulgaris
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: New member Reply with quote

74 red Ghia wrote:

I can give you the name of the shop that did the bodywork and paint on my car here in Raleigh. They specialize in air-cooled Porsches, but they're highly skilled and will work on any classic. The problem is that they are BUSY. I gave them a body in bare metal, and it took more than a year before I got the finished, painted shell back. I'm in the re-assembly stage now, which I'm doing myself. If your wife wants a driver car sooner than that, I'd take Pete SC's advice and simply buy the best running and driving car you can afford.

Previously owned:
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: