Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> 411/412 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve_1125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2022 10:36 pm    Post subject: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Hello, I had the dash rewrapped (upholstery shop) and reinstalled by mechanic. However, mechanic advised there are no attaching points anymore for vents to connect to the dash (perhaps a lack of brackets). He said the rest of that system is otherwise intact. Anyone have any thoughts on a fix for this if there is one? I am not getting any definitive answers from my "experts" at this point. If anyone has a referral in Northern California who might tackle this, that would be great too. Thanks much
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Where did all the plastic vents go? The ones with the swivel louvers
I presume. They fit into the dash cutouts and then the cardboard and plastic tubes attach to them. Photos would be very helpful here.

Bill
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Which vents are we speaking of?

Are these the hard plastic ones down on the bottom center near the vent and fan slider knobs like Pepperbilly is speaking of?...or...are you speaking of the two defrost slot vents up near the windshield?

Ray
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
steve_1125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Sorry gentlemen, I left out the key term, defrost slot vents, mechanic claims after the dash was redone, it lost the brackets that properly connect those vents now nothing powers on. Unfortunately I am merely reporting hearsay and no first hand knowledge. The best thing for me would be a referral to a shop that knows the 412 and determining if this can be operational again. To be clear none of the vents work, but again mechanic claims it is because the defrost cannot be reattached without a workaround to the loss of the brackets (he says the system is otherwise intact). The vents on bottom center appear attached but do not power on

Pardon lack of succinctness! Bit frustrated, thrilled I have a pristine dash but was expecting all to be functioning again.
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Apparently you mean the defrost vents that attach just below the windshield. I donot understand why no power as you say just because the plastic vents are not there? If everything is electrically connected the defrost fan will run, vents or no vents. Apparently a fuse is blown or some wiring is not connected. Ahh, good luck finding a shop that knows 411/412s. You are better off in these forums and use photos so we can help.

Bill
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Ok.

The vents up top near the windshield have a couple of defects for placement. About 50% of the output is blocked because of how they are factory mounted. I spoke at length about this so long ago...it may even be on the STF instead of here.

A few changes to how they are angled, how the hoses attach and how they point on the dash vents doubles the output. At some point I will get to what I did and post it.

But the issue of power on the actual defroster fan....first check to make sure the wires down below are connected. And the next issue is that a common problem with the cables and the assembly of teh slide switch can stop operation. Ray
steve_1125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoo ughts? Reply with quote

Thanks gentlemen, I so appreciate the prompt and candid responses. I will go back to my mechanic who has done wonders with this 412, and discuss options. I may ultimately have to live without.
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoo ughts? Reply with quote

steve_1125 wrote:
Thanks gentlemen, I so appreciate the prompt and candid responses. I will go back to my mechanic who has done wonders with this 412, and discuss options. I may ultimately have to live without.

Get pictures so we can clearly see the problem. We can help you fix it but we have no exact idea what is wrong yet.

Ray
steve_1125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Thanks Ray, the gallery at The Samba wasn't working for me so I put pics at this Shutterfly link https://link.shutterfly.com/z0G3erdEIob

As suspected, it needs to be reassembled and mechanic say upholstery work has thwarted that. I would need to find a shop that would know how to do that
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

steve_1125 wrote:
Thanks Ray, the gallery at The Samba wasn't working for me so I put pics at this Shutterfly link https://link.shutterfly.com/z0G3erdEIob

As suspected, it needs to be reassembled and mechanic say upholstery work has thwarted that. I would need to find a shop that would know how to do that

Ok....I have a few things to say. Please do not take them personally.

1. WHO took the dash out? The upholstery shop?....the supposed "mechanic" or you?

2. If the mechanic who "installed" this dash was teh one who took it out....DO NOT EVER.....return that that business. They are an absolute HACK!

I will get to the whys and what's wrong in a minute.

3. There is not one person or business in this entire country that I would suggest can do this work...on this particular car...with any level of trustworthiness. These are not common cars and never have been.
Yes....there are some high end restoration shops in the business...to whom...had the car been brought to them in its original condition...would have removed the dash and everything connected to it it CAREFULLY...and INVENTORIED all of the parts and made diagrams pictures to re-assemble it.

These are the type of shops whose ads you find in the back of Hemmings Motor News. They do not specialize in anything but can work on anything due to their care and level of detail....and they cost arms and legs and bags of cash.

4. These cars have no relation to other air cooled VW's. What under the dash has only cursory relation to other acvw's. There are no common "shops" that work on these that are to be trusted.

This is not a car that you can own and farm out certain areas of work on it. There just are not shops or people who work on these cars.

Add to that...there are VERY few parts available.

YOU....MUST learn to do what needs to be done or the car will become an unreliable wreck that you will sooner or later sell as a basket case.

NEXT:

OK...back to why whomever this "mechanic"....is not worthy of what they are being paid.

Not only are you "probably" missing parts that are hard to find, have not been made in about 45 years.....and do not fit any other VW or any other type of car......there is a ton of stuff that is flat out left hanging loose.

The radio strap was not reconnected.
There is a bundle of wires coiled up that SHOULD be going somewhere. Outside of a few diagnostic system wires and maybe the wires that would have gone to an under dash AC unit if you had one...there are NO spare wires to be left disconnected.

The use of those cheap blue, red and yellow crimp connectors is BAD BAD BAD. They are not for use in automotive.

Unless the upholstery shop removed the dash....the upholstery shop is not to blame.

You are missing all but one of the corrugated hoses. Those that come from the air box to the lower dash vents are an odd size and made of a odd material and do not grow on trees.

The small corrugated hoses that feed the corner window side vents should still be there and if they are not...they should not have been removed....and they should have been connected back up WHILE installing the dash. They are very hard to do afterwards.

Looking at what I see....I will bet you money that your blower does not work and that your dash instrument lights are not connected right and the light pull switches are not secured.
I would bet the same that your heater system and defroster switches are not working right either.

To get this right without a lot of contortionism...and breaking of other parts trying to snake hands and parts inside....the dash needs to come back out.

To do this job properly:

The hose and duct system should be almost 100% intact and installed before the dash goes back in.

The last hook ups once the dash is bolted back in are first the dash switches....while you reach through the instrument holes and under the dash, then the upper windshield defroster vent hose, the radio strap, the lower air box vents, then the wires to the slider switches, then the strut to the dash, then the glove box strap. There are a few more connections. The control cables to the slider switches are some of the last....then the dash instruments....with wires connected to the right spots before you slide them back in.

The hardest part is actually snaking your hands in to tighten the lugs that hold the instruments in.

Typically the corner air vent round boxes are removed from the dash because you need to be able to reach the bolt under each one. Then with one hand you feed the hose from the backside while you push in the vent cup to mate up with the hose.

Really....removing and installing the dash is not that hard. Compared to a modern car there is not that much there. You just need to spend a little time looking at it from underneath and understanding what must come out first in order.....and not losing parts or breaking parts.

It looks like whomever removed this thing just ripped it out and now has no idea what needs to be hooked back up.

I will help all I can but you should do this yourself.

Ray
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Yep, I’m afraid Ray is right. Not enough attention to detail and inventoring every last bit…so important. What does the dash material look like now? If it was layered on top of all else it’s probably not going to fit correctly back into place. This job is beyond me because I have never replaced a type 4 dash. There is also another samba member. His name is ClassicCamper on this forum. He also may be able to help because he has replaced his dash.

Bill
steve_1125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen, Ray I am aware the car is super rare and it is my second. But I didn't have the foreseeability to know the shop removing the dash and restoring it would bungle the vent system. That said, I need to live with my decision and just do without defrost. While I am a type 4 enthusiast, I am not mechanical, so I had to rely on what I could find. This shop generally does good work and was one of the few in this area that actually would work on 412s.
Guess I should have just left the cracked dash in place. The upholstery shop did a very nice rewrap I must say.
steve_1125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Hi Bill, I included some pics of the dashboard. Other than the ventilation, everything else electronically is functioning as new. I was impressed how my mechanic was able to get most of it working again. The removal of dash was also critical to take care of some rust that occurred and lead to leakage. So no regrets.

As to the ventilation, I have all the parts needed to get it up and running again. Will save that for another day/year Wink
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

p.s. I saved this 412 from the junk yard in 2003, and while I am not personally a mechanic, for the last 19 years I have endeavored to improve it day by day
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Hey Steve,

Good for you that this 412 was saved. They are becoming very rare.

Thanks for the finished dash photos. It looks nice, generally speaking. I can see it is a bit thick appearing and for some reason the ashtray is not sitting flat in it’s hole.

As you have probably seen, I am doing a very factory restoration on my wagon. Obviously it is an expensive journey because I seek out the best parts possible etc. Yes, my dash is cracked but I made the decision long ago to live with it. It is super nice in all other respects.

Maybe you will be able to get the ventilation system sorted out. There are people on this site that have wonderful knowledge. Wish I could help you more here.

Bill
steve_1125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Thanks Bill, yes the ashtray is a bit awkward, but generally the dash looks beautiful, but between you and me, I think you made the right choice Wink I enjoy seeing your photos for your ongoing project. I will update you regarding the vent, but right now I think I need a respite. Another nice thing I had updated on the car is updating the shocks, Bilsteins, and it runs quite nicely. The engine is completely original, LJet in the 1974. You have a 1973, which makes yours even rarer than mine Smile

p.s. I do recall the user Classic Camper from previous posts, but cannot seem to find him now, if you have a contact that would be great, but no worries
Pepperbilly
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

ClassicCamper is easy to find, just look down the list in this 411/412 forum. He has been showing the progress on his blue wagon since 2016 I believe.

Actually you have the rarer 412 because of this one year only L Jet. Before 1974 it was D Jet and carbs. Hopefully you are maintaining and replacing your fuel and vacuum lines on a regular basis…especially the fuel lines! Don’t want to lose it to a fire.

Bill
steve_1125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Thank you Bill! And yes, on top of the lines
raygreenwood
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 10:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

steve_1125 wrote:
Thank you gentlemen, Ray I am aware the car is super rare and it is my second. But I didn't have the foreseeability to know the shop removing the dash and restoring it would bungle the vent system. That said, I need to live with my decision and just do without defrost. While I am a type 4 enthusiast, I am not mechanical, so I had to rely on what I could find. This shop generally does good work and was one of the few in this area that actually would work on 412s.
Guess I should have just left the cracked dash in place. The upholstery shop did a very nice rewrap I must say.

All of that being said....just take it easy and slow down....and let me look at a few things in your pictures and on mine....and overtime we can help you get it fixed.

Ray
steve_1125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2022 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Thank you Ray and appreciate your time and efforts! Applause
steve_1125
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Dash redone, now defrost not connected, thoughts? Reply with quote

Ray and Bill, a happy ending here, the vents and defrost are working again.
Made a short video. Drove the car on a country road last weekend and so nice to have air breezing through the now in place hoses again.
Thank you for your support! https://youtu.be/32ngHvvwaMU
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> 411/412 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: