Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Fixed the spring plate covers. They looked ok untill I hit them with the sandblaster. Probably should have found new ones but took less than 4 hours to get to this point and I do enjoy this type of work.

Found some steel the same thickness and added some bends. Chopped out most of the rust and made replacement bits. Clamped copper behind and filled a bunch of holes and thin spots. Another pass through the blaster and a layer of zinc.

Came out quite well but one of the ribs is not shaped correctly so will need some filler.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The Nova Scotian Barndoor (YouTube)
The Nova Scotian Barndoor (CAD drawings)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
myklsmyth
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

When labor is free, you should always try to capitalize on it and if you enjoy it, then it's a bonus. Enjoy seeing updates, no matter how small they might be. Press on...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Loving you having a go at it, results are epic
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2022 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Getting stuff ready to paint. All these small parts are a pain to paint. Want to get all front end parts in first batch so I can assembe the beam. Probably being a bit fussy with the finish but want everything to look new.

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:
Getting stuff ready to paint. All these small parts are a pain to paint. Want to get all front end parts in first batch so I can assembe the beam. Probably being a bit fussy with the finish but want everything to look new.

i don't think you are fussy at all. i watch a couple of channels on youtube restoring cars and trucks and it always bothers me when after all the money spent, some parts still look like they just painted over the rust, even if it was blasted to perfectly clean prior to paint.

If it was easier/cheaper i would support zinc metal spraying for parts that may see salt or gravel. Thinking of the UK or other places where rust is a killer still.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

I tried a bunch of powder coats and mixed some, tried very light mist... couldn't get a finish that looked like the original treatment. So no color. Turns out the cases had more corrosion than it looked so wouldn't have looked great anyway.

I put the case in parts washer and ran a brush through the oil passages. Then pressure washed, blow dry and set in the sun for a few hours.

Media blasted the cases. Trans case has some deep corrosion on top so wouldn't just clean up very well and not a great case anyway. Engine case was a replacement and restamped so nothing special. If they had been original or excellent condition I probably wouldn't have blasted them.

Used glass dust to blast the outside. Basically crushed glass that has been used untill the texture of flower. It works great for cleaning and doesn't leave a texture. Tested soda but wouldn't touch the corrosion on trans.

After a good bit of blowing out any dust they got soaked in WD40 a few times. I will spray them a few more time and let dry. WD40 seams to soak into to magnesium and preserve it. I have done this before with good results. Have done a few aluminum heads also and they look great. And greasy finger prints just wipe off.

Who.Me? Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

sgellis wrote:

Nice. Looks like gloss grey enamel paint.

Looking for info on my truck's history. Are you from Campbell California or nearby. Do you recognise it? ... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=636786
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Who.Me? wrote:

Nice. Looks like gloss grey enamel paint.

The shine will go away as the WD40 drys. They will darken some also and look a little more natural.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Finally got some parts painted. Everything for the front except backing plates. Still need to find rivets for one adjuster spring plate.

This is single stage acrylic that paints very nice and has the look of older paints. L41 but the local store had it in their system as L041

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

nice. I have a soft spot for L41. my first beetle was L41.

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

mandraks wrote:
nice. I have a soft spot for L41. my first beetle was L41.

Thanks. I didn't see a mention of the black paint used on the BD parts so figured it was probably L41. And if it wasn't quite right it would still look good. Think most believe black is black but there can be a big difference in how they look.
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Layed out the front beam parts. I see I forgot the linkpins and caps. Got all the fasteners together and ready for black oxide treatment.

Grease cleaned out between bushings. That was a lot of grease. Center is full of grease but that can stay. Bushings are in great shape.

Next I need to build a king pin jig

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Spindles together.

Made a jig from scrap in the shop. Used some small channel and notched the bars to slide in them. Worked great. They definitely go together easier that they come apart.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Putting the beam together and discovered the stops I got did not allow enough steering. Maybe I purchased the wrong one. Compared it to original and cut a little off the back and seems ok

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

One issue I ran into with the modified 55-63 spindles is the tie rods are smaller. Needed to drill out for a larger taper. I probably should have found a taper bit for this but used a drill and just wobbled it around until I had the correct size.

Last edited by sgellis on Sat Jul 02, 2022 4:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Beam is done except brakes. I didn't get the backing plates painted yet. Happy with how the spindles worked.

I sprayed Rustcheck in all bolt holes and on the bolts. Makes a bit of an oily mess but will keep things nice and new.

Last edited by sgellis on Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:12 am; edited 1 time in total
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2022 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Love a good wobbling! Haha

Well done, intuitive thinking
sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Transmission together. I will replace some parts later. It just needs to do about 10 minutes of driving each year for the next 3 years or so.

I did inspect everything as well as I could without disassembling the stack. First gear ring has 4 teeth in bad shape where someone must have given it a very good grind. Will work but should be changed. Input shaft is pitted at end so needs re surfacing or sleeving. Maybe I will find one before I need this rebuilt. I will change all bearings also. I couldn't find wire for the ring gear bolts. It will be fine untill I rebuild.

It had some copper tubing for a reverse shaft pin. Found a drill bit that just dropped in without sticking and made a new pin.

I assume this was not part of the transmission. It was in the bottom when disassembled.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2022 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Going to use some small nut reductions with modified spring plates for now. Will replace later with correct reductions

Cleaned up the set I had in the shop. Everything is great except the inner case and tubes are very bad. So bad I'm afraid they may break. Think I will add some weld where the tubes are thin. They are just so I can drive the bus short distances in first gear

I have another set but they are not great either and assembled so not worth the work.

sgellis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Nova Scotian 54 standard restoration Reply with quote

Modified some very rusty spring plates so I can install small nut reductions.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 16, 17, 18  Next
Jump to:
Page 9 of 18

Jump to: