Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disc brake conversion questions.
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:00 pm    Post subject: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

I just bought an Empi front disc conversion kit for my Manx copy street Buggy. The kit did not come with the bracket for mounting the caliper. Is was listed as a "completer kit" which to my flawed way of thinking means that it is more complete than most? Um, nope! It means it is less complete apparently...

Ok, my mistake... now I have the brackets in hand but did they come with mounting hardware? Um, nope again! So off to the John Deere dealer to get metric mounting bolts. These turn out to be flange headed grade 10.9 bolts. Sound alright? Should I be using lock washers with these?

Will the bolts holding the backing plates on the spindles now be long enough?

Do I need some sort of gravel deflector tin on the inside of the disc? This Buggy will see a bit of gravel road driving...

Lastly, I have in mind to use 944 NA rear disc brakes. What do you think of the front/rear brake balance that will produce? Type 4 engine so even a bit more rear weight biased than normal.

Thanks in advance for your time!
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

I used the original bolts but installed a thin Wavy Washer instead of the standard split lock washer. The head of the bolt wanted to rub on the rotor seal area with the thicker washers.
The mounting bracket that came with my Empi kit is just slightly thicker than the drum backing plate it replaces.

They definitely weren't a bolt on kit but once I got all the quirks taken care of they have been a reliable setup. For the price they work well but some say they are quite heavy......which I would have to agree but I'm not doing heavy offroad stuff.
I took the time and money to have studs pressed in but they come with screw in studs which do work.

There are pics of the rear and front installs in my build if you need any visual content.

Take a good long look in the mirror and report back on what you see.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

My Megasquirt Fuel Injection Turbo Buggy Build
Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16
ECUMaster ADU5 Digital Dash

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=127936
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
H2OSB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

Most(I want to say all...but I've obviously not seen every disc brake conversion kit out there) disc brake kits are not intended to run the backing plates. Personally I would love to have them, just for the additional protection they would provide, but there are hundreds of thousands of disc brake conversions on Beetles across the world and it's not known as a major issue so I forced myself to not worry about it.

I think you'll have a nice brake balance. You will have 40mm calipers on the front and 36mm calipers on the rear. I'm running the vented disc brake kit from CSP on the front which has 42mm pistons along with 944 rears. Based on anecdotal evidence as well as the fact CSP sells the set up essentially the way I have it, I expect perfect brake bias. I think you'll be pleased. I've seen people use the same brakes you have on the front with VW Golf/Passat calipers on the rear (38mm pistons) without issues so you'll in the right ballpark. That said, you could always install an inline proportioning value, accessible in the cab to dial in the bias if you feel you need it.

Btw, the 10.9 bolts are fine

H20SB
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

I purchased my brake kit from Amazon. It was an Empi kit that included the backing plates. 22-2850-0

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
cbeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

I seem to remember a trip to the flaps because the factory backing plate bolts have a smaller head on the bolt for the thread size . My rotors rubbed on the bolts I first used.
nextgen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

Do any of your kits have a Rear Emergency Hand Brake???
LETS TALK DUBS https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=joe+cali+ghia https://letstalkdubs.libsyn.com/ep-200-joe-cali-ty...qI3xJTCzjs
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

nextgen wrote:
Do any of your kits have a Rear Emergency Hand Brake???

The Empi kits come with or with or without E-brakes. Mine are the E-brake style and they fit the stock E-brake cable with just a little grinding for clearance to install the C-clip.
Since I installed both disc brakes I have had the best pedal feel since I built my Buggy.
With drums I always had to pump the brake pedal to get it up higher.

Paul.H wrote:
That one line on that chart is probably better info than you can get from this place in a month

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

Take note where your bleeder valve is. If its on the lower part of caliper it will never bleed with caliper mounted. You have to swing caliper up so air can exscape.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Take note where your bleeder valve is. If its on the lower part of caliper it will never bleed with caliper mounted. You have to swing caliper up so air can exscape.

The Disc brakes give the great pedal....the Drums were always soft.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

Thanks all! Just what I needed!

These brackets are cast so are pretty thick. I bought enough longer bolts to do them too but with the flange on them they will not fit down in the reliefs that are machined into the brackets. I will need to chuck them up and trim down the flange on the bolt head a bit. Maybe take a pass off the top of the bolt head too for seal clearance... we will see.

This kit didn't come with any wheel studs. I am assuming I can use the stock wheel bolts.
jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

clonebug wrote:
jpaull wrote:

I think you read this really fast. my comment has nothing to do with comparing disk and drum brakes.

The purpose of mentioning this is to help make his installation go smooth. Many Empi front calipers have the bleeder valve positioned in a way that they can not be bleed. Many dont find this out till many hours of frustration go by.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
clonebug wrote:
jpaull wrote:

I think you read this really fast. my comment has nothing to do with comparing disk and drum brakes.

The purpose of mentioning this is to help make his installation go smooth. Many Empi front calipers have the bleeder valve positioned in a way that they can not be bleed. Many dont find this out till many hours of frustration go by.

You didn't quote him or me and you answered after me....so I assumed you were talking to me.........carry on........

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

jpaull wrote:
Many Empi front calipers have the bleeder valve positioned in a way that they can not be bleed. Many dont find this out till many hours of frustration go by.

Good point. Here is what they sent me. Perhaps people in the past complained or got left and right mixed up. It appears that these are universal, as in can be used left or right side. Anyway I think, without taking them apart, that that is the case. You just bleed the one on the top.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jpaull
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

Yes, those are the good ones! Great! One less headache
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

All is well so far. The only issue was the calipers were almost touching the disc on the inside. A thin washer between the caliper and bracket put the spacing very near equal both sides of the disc.
slayer61
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
jpaull wrote:
Many Empi front calipers have the bleeder valve positioned in a way that they can not be bleed. Many dont find this out till many hours of frustration go by.

Good point. Here is what they sent me. Perhaps people in the past complained or got left and right mixed up....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Sad, but true. We have a large group of folks who don't know their left from right. Rolling Eyes

... Most folks are idiots when it deals with electrical !!!

67rustavenger wrote:

3/4 race cam? What's missing, one of the lobes? Shocked

Paul

'68 Manx clone... Sears??
2276 built on AS21 case
W-125 w/ GB 1.25:1 rockers
Mahle forged pistons
CB 4340 crank
CB H beam rods
deep sump
44 HPMX
EMPI GTV 2 STG II wedge ports
CB Magna spark
1 5/8 merged collector w/ hater stinger
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

The conversion went well. It even self bled! I just topped up the reservoir, opened the bleed valves and gravity took over. Nice firm peddle.

I was expecting a bigger change in the feel of the brakes on the road but there is really not that much difference. Should help with the brake fade pulling the trailer in the mountains though.

There was one annoying thing, at one time in the distant past I could take the C clip off the speedometer cable put it aside in a safe place and find it again when I was done. Not anymore! Think I could remember where I put that little bugger? Nope! Rolling Eyes
madmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

I've use 'safety' wire in a pinch Wink
76 Drag/Street bug 2180cc 'Turbo' 11:85 @113 mph"If I go any faster I'll burn up the Hamster" ,gets 28 mpg. also 10/09/22 11.90 @115 mph
"If I'm ever on Life Support,UNPLUG Me, Then Plug me back In see if that Works"
clonebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

I don't even use the clip....I just stuff the cable in the hole...turn the tire until it fits the square and then drive. It never gives me any issues that way.
This way I don't have to pull the wheel off when I remove the body...I can just pull the cable out.

Paul.H wrote:

Water/Alcohol Injection
Audi TT intercooler
Upgraded to MS3Pro-Evo
EcuMaster PMU16

oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Disc brake conversion questions. Reply with quote

madmike wrote:
I've use 'safety' wire in a pinch Wink

Mig welder wire had to do for now.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: