Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Deck Lid Latch Cover Locking T Handle
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 6:40 pm    Post subject: Deck Lid Latch Cover Locking T Handle Reply with quote

So reading the other thread about differences in escutcheons and seeing how the changes were narrowed down to June '63, I went to go look at my plate to see when the date mine was built (June 28 ). I knew it was June, but which day....Then I realized I had a locking T Handle, not a little round port hole cover for a church key! So, I'm guessing it's a hack by a previous owner. It works, and quite frankly, I like it. I think they just used the same style handle from the rear hatch. Anybody have any insight on this? A quick search didn't turn up much.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Latch Cover Locking T Handle Reply with quote

I had been wondering if this would work.

In theory it looked like it might work. And now that you are showing yours it is proven to work.

The only hack I see in your pictures is, that someone secured the by welding or brazing it to the stem of the handle. Makes it hard to remove when needed.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Latch Cover Locking T Handle Reply with quote

Yes, I've seen a few Buses like that and used to own a 1963 15-Window that had a decklid handle.

I never removed it but you have to open up the church key hole a little so the locking ring slides in there.
It's a squared off opening like the upper hatch opening instead of a round hole for the church key cover.

You can see it in this super old photo

Barndoor decklid opening, same idea as they use a locking handle too:

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
easy e
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Latch Cover Locking T Handle Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
The only hack I see in your pictures is, that someone secured the by welding or brazing it to the stem of the handle. Makes it hard to remove when needed.
If it's like the rear hatch latch handle nut... it's a cap nut. If it's a cap nut, maybe corrosion makes it look like the stem/nut have been welded/brazed.
dlicious
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Latch Cover Locking T Handle Reply with quote

easy e wrote:
mdege wrote:
If it's like the rear hatch latch handle nut... it's a cap nut. If it's a cap nut, maybe corrosion makes it look like the stem/nut have been welded/brazed.

It is a cap nut.
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 9:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Latch Cover Locking T Handle Reply with quote

I have the same nut and t handle combination on my 61’ which honestly has given me no issues and allows me to keep my engine bay locked. Also you are correct in saying that it’s the rear hatch handle because I had to replace my t-handle and that’s what it was.
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Latch Cover Locking T Handle Reply with quote

Thanks! That is good information. I think I will be looking out for such a handle.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
VanillaGorilla11
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2022 11:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Latch Cover Locking T Handle Reply with quote

mdege wrote:
Thanks! That is good information. I think I will be looking out for such a handle.

No worries. I’d add some photos for reference but my bus is having some work done right now. You do have to modify the original hole a bit so that it’ll be able to fit where the church key hole is as others have also stated. The handle will fit perfectly in the original locking mechanism as long as the part the nut screws on to is a square like this reference photo.

And not the round end and flat side ones which the beetles had I believe.

digito
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Latch Cover Locking T Handle Reply with quote

I've been curious too, I have a 1960 23 window deluxe with the same type of deck lid t handle that is not modified. Was this an rare option to have on a bus?
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Latch Cover Locking T Handle Reply with quote

I don't think it's a rare option, just something some people did.

If I had to guess I bet the dealer would do it for you too, as a security measure.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2022 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Deck Lid Latch Cover Locking T Handle Reply with quote

Maybe I'm a country mouse but I've never understood the allure of a locking decklid. Now the T-handle I get as it removes the need for the church key therefore making spontaneous motor spot checks a breeze like on a 66-67 bus.
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: